No announcement yet.

Flying with a toddler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Little bit of Benadryl in a cherry coke....

Comment

Get some of these.

Comment

Originally posted by HoustonHunter View Post
        ^

My 2.5 year old has been flying since he was a baby with no issues. We bring enough to entertain him now. At this age, an iPad and headphones is key (with lots of snacks). We aren’t the kind of parents that hand off an iPad to a kid but for flights it makes everyone’s lives easier. Download Netflix and load it up with their favorite shows/movies.

If you’ve got family to bounce him around, I wouldn’t spend the money.

Safe travels!
        This is an experienced modern day parent talking here with excellent advice.

Comment

This is really the ONLY TIME I'm advocate ing iPad babysitting...

And it's because I care for the sanity of the OTHER ppl on the plane

Comment

Can yall do a short local trip in the near future to try it out? Australia is a heck of a first time flight.

Comment

Originally posted by scjeeptx View Post
              Can yall do a short local trip in the near future to try it out? Australia is a heck of a first time flight.
              Good idea. Maybe try riding around on a city bus before that. I was on a 5 hour flight once where a woman across the aisle had a in-lap toddler that cried and whined the ENTIRE flight, nonstop. At first the passengers ignored it, but after a couple of hours they wanted to kill both of them. Pity the poor soul who sat next to them. It was a horrible end to a nice trip, basically ruining it.
              Last edited by Ruark; 08-15-2018, 06:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by rmf92hunt View Post
                Our pediatrician recommended children’s Dramamine for our flights to Saudi. Our kids started making those trips (around 23 hours door to door from Houston) at 6 months and 18 months and probably made 15 trips at least during our time there. Trust me and get the Dramamine and make sure you have enough for the return trip.
                Sadara Project?

OP chewing gum will help with the ears and Dramamine as stated above, those long flights are tough on adults it's really tough on hyper kids.

Comment

Originally posted by Atfulldraw View Post
                  This aint the Will Rogers turnpike.

Comment

All great info, keep it coming! I will say at only 1 year old now, hes a great kid. Hardly ever cries or fusses unless hes hungry, mostly a happy baby!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by atfulldraw View Post
                      little bit of benadryl in a cherry coke....
                      winner!

Comment

But the seat and put their car seat in it. We started doing that and Flights are a breeze now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Atfulldraw View Post
                          Thanks a lot. Now all I can think about is doing Twisted Sisters until the cows come home.

Comment

Bottle during take off and landing immediately fixes the ear issue, during takeoff it helps to calm them and get them ready to sleep.
                            A dark overnight flight will help too.

All passengers should have $15 ear buds or better to help drown out a noisy kid, if they don't on a 15hr flight, it's their problem. Pretty sure that flight will offer movies, music, and games.

I could understand a passenger immediately next to or in front of a kid like this, so position the kid inside a group of family.

Buy 3 extra sets of earbuds and ask the neighbors around you if they need them.
                            Bring an extra $100 to buy the neighbors some drinks, or at least offer.
                            Shoveling snacks into a kids mouth helps reduce noise too.

The only way I would spend money on another seat is if I honestly thought the kid was going to sit there 75% of the time. Any way to tell if the plane is completely full? Likely full these days. Maybe you can trade seats with someone that is next to an empty.

Comment

Originally posted by texasdeerhunter View Post
                              My kids have flown since they were 9 months. Been on several trips. To the people saying buy the extra seat...why? It’s just wasted money imo. The kids want to sit in your lap anyway. And if they are being bad, it doesn’t matter if they are in their own seat or not, they will still be bad. I’ve been fortunate in that my kids have been relatively easy to travel with. As mentioned above, have something for them to suck on while landing/taking off (bottle does wonders). And keep lots of snacks and stuff to entertain them
                              Emphasis on the bold but...All of this...and what Houston said. They will want to run around at some point...dont be scared...chasem down the isle or let the weeble chase you...just try to focus it during awake hours.

Comment

Also for anybody annoyed by a crying kid can just get the hell over it. You’re grown you should be prepared and have noise canceling headphones on a long flight anyway. Those parents are generally embarrassed as it is

Comment

Working...
                                X