HR advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HR advice

My wife is a teacher. Being a certificate holder she is required to report activities in violation of moral/illegal conduct of colleagues.

Last spring a student of hers won a writing contest and was invited to Washington DC. Upon hearing this news, director of fine arts invited himself on the trip. While in DC, at dinner with parents and student, the director purchased a bottle of wine and consumed. He also allowed the student to drink a glass with parents permission. They were all at same table.

When group returned, student was bragging to friends at school about drinking wine with this administrator while in DC. My wife heard of this from other students and reported the incident.

She was called last week and a mtg scheduled with investigation office today. They gave her a copy of the report but she was allowed to read in the office. They did tell her they only interviewed the administrator. Student was not interviewed because he is no longer a student and at college. Also, parents were not interviewed either.

She was also told that the administrator was told her name as the person filing the report.

If a crime goes to court, I can understand facing your accuser. But in the event of an investigation where no "crimes" were found, why would they reveal the name of person filing report?

If a teacher was reported to purchase alcohol at a school related event, they would be put on leave or fired. Let alone giving the student alcohol. Why does an administrator (Director) get a pass?
    Attached Files

In most districts if you accompanied a student on a school sponsored trip and purchased and consumed alcohol you'd be be in a major bind. Even if you did not give the kid any.

I'd say the outcome depends largely on who is doing the investigating, who is being investigated and who is controlling all of that.

Comment

She filed a report, on a “superior”, based on third hand gossip from teenagers? Bold move for sure.

The Admin didn’t get a “pass” yet. Sounds like the investigation is ongoing, but they should have to do something to prevent hostilities in the future. Hopefully they don’t punish your wife for doing her job. Nothing worse than that.

Comment

Where’s the crime? I know they weren’t in Texas and the laws may be different there, and I may be incorrect. In Texas I was always told if the parent is there and allows a minor can consume alcohol. Also, if the kid is in college this year, that puts him at 18, it wasn’t his first drink. If the parents weren’t there I could see cause for concern.

Comment

It doesn't sounds like to me that the administrator permitted the kid to drink wine. Sounds like the kid's parents permitted the kid to drink wine.

Comment

Is your concern the administrator getting a pass or retaliation against your wife. If the latter and she reported this incident in good faith, I would think she would be protected under a whistleblower statute or the district should have a policy in place that protects her.

Comment

Originally posted by Throwin Darts View Post
              It doesn't sounds like to me that the administrator permitted the kid to drink wine. Sounds like the kid's parents permitted the kid to drink wine.

This^^^^. Tell them to pound sand.

Comment

Originally posted by Throwin Darts View Post
                Thats the way I see it. In Highschool had a teacher ask me to enter the bronc riding at ranch rodeo as part of "her" team. After said Rodeo we all sat around and had a few beers. Never thought anything about it.

Comment

there may be some "loop hole" (lack of a better word here) as they were at dinner and not a school function or activity

I in no way mean to offend with the next part of this sentence -- but was reporting this incident really necessary? In my understanding there is a difference between "whistleblowing" and "snitching", what I honestly don't understand is what to consider reporting this situation...

I guess the better question I haven't seen asked -- did your wife have any of these facts before she reported the person, or was she just going off what was heard through teenage gossip?

Comment

I know for the fire dept, if I allege something against a fellow employee or supervisor, I cant be anonymous. This helps keep both sides honest.

To answer your second question, a parent allowed an 18-year-old to drink wine during dinner. Nothing illegal or immoral there.

Comment

It should have ended with parents at the table and gave permission.

Comment

Originally posted by JTRichardson View Post
                        I guess the better question I haven't seen asked -- did your wife have any of these facts before she reported the person, or was she just going off what was heard through teenage gossip?
                        I don't disagree with you, but flip it around. What if the kid had some wine, and something bad happened to the kid alcohol related with the admin there, purchasing the wine? I personally would say the parents let him have wine, it's not that admin's fault that something happened.

But, in today's society, those same parents could easily flip it around to something bad happened to our kid because the teacher gave him/her wine. We didn't know it was wine. We thought it was grape juice. I see where OP's wife is coming from. Not sure if there is a better way to handle it, and there are a few holes in the story too. Like why it took more than six months to investigate.

Comment

So.....I'm understanding kids parents were present and allowed said kid to drink and OP wife hears 3rd hand kid drank and reports to administration..........I would say wife should have minded her own business.

Comment

All I can do is shake my head...

Comment

From your statement, I don't see that your wife has any proof of 'immoral/illegal activity, Just heresay.
                              Reporting everything highschool kids say will probably cause her more grief than she is looking for.

Comment

Working...
                              X