Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RogueSamurai View Post
    Few things:

Your land owner is in breach of contract but if its not an issue for you, I wouldn't worry about it. It does highlight the point of having an actual signed Lease, though. If this were, say a rent house, he couldn't let others come stay in the house that you were paying for. Why do hunters get to do basically the same thing?

However, Hog dogging out of season won't bother your deer. I've been with hog dogs that ran within yards of deer. They will scatter for a short while but they will come back. Most deer these days are used to vehicles, planes, tractors etc etc. They are used to human activity. So they aren't going to scatter for miles.

You DO need to make sure that the hog doggers arent planning on hunting during season. You don't want to be in the blind and have a pack of dogs go by chasing a hog. This is really just a respect thing and pretty basic communication. Shouldn't be an issue.

Hog dogging will help get rid of hogs...NOT necessarily because of the hogs that they catch, simply because hogs will leave an area if they are under a lot of pressure/harassment, if they have other options. Hog dogging once in a while won't do it though, it has to be constant. Also, they will eventually be back. It never ends.

If the hogs are coming to your feeders and they are using your feeders to strike hogs, a very common practice by the way, simply turn the feeders off.
    The big bucks will leave too. I promise...lol....

Comment

Either way you are a sucker if u pay 2K for a bow only lease without a signed lease contract from the landowner and he now wants to give the hog doggers free reign to come chase hogs on any given day....like I said sucker! But I'm not on this lease...just a couple of my buddies

Comment

Hog dogging affect on deer hunting?

As long as the hog doggers push the deer to the west, I don't see a problem....[emoji12]
        Needless to say, we're not happy either. [emoji35]
        They ran them on our place the last weekend of the season!

Comment

West towards your place. Haha....

Comment

Originally posted by NAVY CHIEF View Post
            West towards your place. Haha....

[emoji39]

Comment

Originally posted by Tshelly View Post
              Lol we and other people kill 160's dang near every year on places that get dogged a lot at times in the spring in summer. And this is in east Texas on big and really small places. It won't really effect anything, now. We generally hunt from the end of deer season through the spring and a little in the fall before deer season. I've seen hogs screw up deer hunting way worse than dogs. We have the real deal dogs that can clean out properties and places. We get deer leases call us right before season begging us to come run the hogs out.

I personally have multiple places that I dog that I move the hogs out before deer season and have a really nice season with hardly any pressure from them.

The one and only time I could see a gripe for disturbing the deer is if someone is dog hunting during deer season. But that's it and generally no one hunts their dogs during deer season.

Best place I know of in east Texas has been dogged for 40 years and they've killed multiple 200" deer low fence

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              I agree 100%. Having a pack of hogs coming to a feeder daily or just every night will put more pressure on deer or cause deer to move to a different feed source than running dogs a couple times a month during the offseason. I see a lot more deer at my feeders and food plots when the hogs aren't visiting them.

Comment

Originally posted by scotty View Post
                As long as the hog doggers push the deer to the west, I don't see a problem....[emoji12]
                Needless to say, we're not happy either. [emoji35]
                They ran them on our place the last weekend of the season!
                Haha!

Comment

Originally posted by Birddog66 View Post
                  Haha!

We need to schedule another happy hour at Ed's to discuss the situation!

Comment

We/I ran dogs on my place and neighbors places for years real hard from Jan thru March and occasionally other times. Never before or during season.

When your covered in hogs if landowners really care they will let you.....assuming your good people and they know you.

WOULD I LET OTHER PEOPLE BESIDES MY BUDDIES RUN MY PLACE: HELL NO!!!!

Because too many weird people nowadays

Comment

Originally posted by NAVY CHIEF View Post
                      The big bucks will leave too. I promise...lol....
                      I've seen quite the opposite to be true. They don't leave, they just stay nocturnal. My dad was asked by some deer hunters to run his dogs once during deer season, something that he never did but he made an exception this time, in an attempt to get game animals moving.

Mind you, he was NOT chasing deer, he was hunting hogs but this ranch was so big and fairly remote that the ruckus caused by the vehicles and hog dogs was enough to get animals moving.

Big/old bucks arent going to run for miles just because of a vehicle/dog/hunters though.

Comment

IMO it has some type of affect on Deer Hunting but to what magnitude I don't know.

Comment

Originally posted by scotty View Post
                          We need to schedule another happy hour at Ed's to discuss the situation!
                          I'm down!

Comment

This is hysterical !
                            Whats been posted ..
                            All Hog Doggers ... best thing in the world for a 30 deer average Mld working ranch ,small acerage, Bowhunting only lease, little to no cover , high preasured deer as is ( without hog dogs )that is far from the hill country !
                            Hang on ... wait for it ... wait for it ...[emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23].

Am I the only BOWHUNTER on here or what ?
                            You know pattern a buck , slip in only from time to time when everything is perfect just to check a cam . Never leave a single sign (scent) while doing so to keep that trouphy buck at peace and not alarm him , then Wait for the perfect wind , the perfect day to slip 1 arrow in him ?

I will say it again ... the worst thing a small acreage trouphy bowhunting only deer lease can do is run dogs on it !
                            Period !

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Comment

I'd find it hard to believe that running dogs through the same area for long periods of time wouldn't have an affect on the localized deer in said area.To me it just depends on how its spread around the Lease, and how often in one area.If "Uncle Toms" feeder is the "Hog Haven" surely it would have a affect if it was continuous..

Comment

Your landowner should find an experienced hog trapper (the commercial guys who trap them and sell them). The commercial guys usually set multiple trap locations, and they often run their traps several times a night to remove multiple groups of pigs.

This, or a helicopter, is the most effective way to control your hog population. The problem w/ the helicopter is it is expensive, and I wouldn't really want a chopper low buzzing my place more than a few times/year.

For hog dogging to really control a large hog population, they will have to be on your place all the time.

Comment

Working...
                                X