Thinking of buying a .17

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thinking of buying a .17

Not sure what to get though mainly going to use it at night for foxes coons etc. I like the 17wsm but have been hearing mixed reviews about it in the savage bmag, any help and deciding factors between the hmr and wsm are appreciated

I got this savage 17hmr and really like it.
    93R17 GV 17HMR 21" w/AccuTrigger Description Fun to shoot. These are the words we so often hear about our 17 series of bolt action rimfire. Every model in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by TB80 View Post
      I got this savage 17hmr and really like it.
      93R17 GV 17HMR 21" w/AccuTrigger Description Fun to shoot. These are the words we so often hear about our 17 series of bolt action rimfire. Every model in

I've been eyeing that one how do you like the bolt and safety?

Comment

I personally don't see the point of the WSM. The HMR kills coons and foxes just fine as it is and if I really ever need a faster version will jump up into the .17 hornet. Are you dead set on a rimfire? If I was looking to only shoot larger varmints you may want to look at jumping up into the .17 hornet or .22 hornet for the extra velocity.

Lots of good options for the .17 HMR as it is being made by everyone currently, not so much on the WSM. Not sure what budget is but several of the higher end .17 HMR shoot lights out. I would avoid the BMag, pretty poorly put together rifles and I personally didn't like the one I had.

Comment

Originally posted by westtexducks View Post
          I personally don't see the point of the WSM. The HMR kills coons and foxes just fine as it is and if I really ever need a faster version will jump up into the .17 hornet. Are you dead set on a rimfire? If I was looking to only shoot larger varmints you may want to look at jumping up into the .17 hornet or .22 hornet for the extra velocity.

Lots of good options for the .17 HMR as it is being made by everyone currently, not so much on the WSM. Not sure what budget is but several of the higher end .17 HMR shoot lights out. I would avoid the BMag, pretty poorly put together rifles and I personally didn't like the one I had.
          I'd like to stay about 500 or less. I haven't really heard anything good about the bmag, I'm not dead set on a rim fire just want an accurate gun that won't break the bank and is deadly on coons and fox, also something fun for the kiddos to shoot

Comment

For what you just described the HMR would be perfect. I’ve killed coyotes at 100yds + and coons hate it. I love mine. I tried to buy a Savage A17 on here and it sold before I could get it. Mine is a bolt action but I would go semi auto for my next one.

Comment

I've killed a lot of stuff with a .17HMR and .17WSM both. The WSM has a noticeable amount of power over the HMR. My buddies heavy barreled B-Mag is very accurate. I personally haven't seen one that wasn't but I've read a lot of negative reviews on them. I'd go with the WSM for an all around varmint rifle. I think it's a better choice if you plan on killing larger animals especially.

If not that then I'd go with a .22mag. I've had too many big boar coons run off after a solid hit with a .17HMR. I like mine for prairie dogs and stuff.
              Last edited by okrattler; 06-06-2018, 07:09 PM.

Comment

.17 Fireball

Comment

Originally posted by slicktree View Post
                  I've been eyeing that one how do you like the bolt and safety?

No comment really. Don’t love it or hate it. Does the job.

Comment

I have a CZ 452 .17 HMR and it shoots lights out. I've been using it for a truck gun for about 6 months now and have killed a buttload of pigs and coyotes with it. Me likey.

Comment

I would consider a centerfire over any rimfire .17cal

The 17 hornet is likely the easiest to get a gun / ammo for, but the 17 Mach IV / 17 Fireball is the best all around & well balanced round for the 17 bore IMO. Unfortunately, the round just didn't take off for the public & better suited for reloading.

The 17 K-hornet is a spiffy round for the reloader too.

Comment

17 hornet and you’ll never look back.

Comment

I have the Savage .17 HMR and love it. It's a very accurate and surprisingly deadly gun. I've dropped hogs in their tracks with it.

Comment

I have an Encore in .17WSM that shoots very well.

Comment

22 mag is more powerful than 17 hmr, 17 wsm out does the 22 mag. Look at reviews on chuckhawks.com. Then decide. I have had all 3 and a friend has the A17. Mine is savage B mag. I would take the 17 wsm all day, wish I had saved the target with less than 1” groups at 200. Only mistake I made with it is not realizing how fast it is and wasted 4 rounds on adjustments from 100 to 200 which is almost none. Go wsm, you won’t regret it, blast to shoot.

Comment

Working...
                              X