Retreiver training

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dirt_Dance View Post
    I've had a guy train two Labs for me now and it has been the best money I ever spent. 4 weeks and I can take him to work and put him on the first tee and tell him to "stay" and he will not move until I come back and release him. Dropping off my 7month old choch female Saturday for a month. Sure I've worked on the basic stuff, but not enough time to do it everyday to enforce through repetition. Nothing better than a well behaved dog. Especially when I see how many children run around out there with absolutely ZERO manners or respect. No way I'm letting my dog out in public acting like some of them heathens.

Obedience is key!!!!!! And at three months old I'd sit mine in a field and leave her for 5 mins to 10 mins and walk over 100 yards away. She will only come if you yelled here or blew two whistles. I'd let her get half way and blow one whistle just to make her stop and sit. But through messing with her and making everything a game, she does it now like it's just a regular thing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

There's such a wealth of info available it'll leave you baffled!

I joined a Retriever Training Club.
      I was going after MH and GMHRCH on mine. Made it to Started and 2 junior passes before I found out my female has hip dysplasia. At 13 or 14 months my male got shot and we ended up amputating his LF leg, ending our competing but not our training.
      They're 13 and 11 now. We haven't done much formal training in a while. They're house pets.

I used Mike Larry, Evan Graham and Danny Farmers
      material.

This is there life now.
      If I'm being honest I'm jealous

Taken 5/16

Comment

Im in the same shoes as you. Going to try this on my own. One thing a lot of people have said is go to YouTube and watch the Freddy King videos. I will also be ordering a few books to read through. Good look and hope it goes well.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkV View Post
          Im in the same shoes as you. Going to try this on my own. One thing a lot of people have said is go to YouTube and watch the Freddy King videos. I will also be ordering a few books to read through. Good look and hope it goes well.

Videos are ok. Freddy king does a decent job. But if you want books, anything by bill hillman is the gospel when it comes to retrievers. He has several books. Numero uno is "training a retriever puppy". That with another book called water dog by Richard Wolters. This mixed with people that have actually trained dogs and you will end up with a super nice retriever.

The most important aspect is the bloodline has to be there. Now I know some will say that it isn't as important but I've trained a couple and this current lab I have has been absolutely incredible. She practically has it bred in and all I have to do is harness it and guide her in the right direction.

Comment

Originally posted by DapperDan View Post
            Videos are ok. Freddy king does a decent job. But if you want books, anything by bill hillman is the gospel when it comes to retrievers. He has several books. Numero uno is "training a retriever puppy". That with another book called water dog by Richard Wolters. This mixed with people that have actually trained dogs and you will end up with a super nice retriever.

The most important aspect is the bloodline has to be there. Now I know some will say that it isn't as important but I've trained a couple and this current lab I have has been absolutely incredible. She practically has it bred in and all I have to do is harness it and guide her in the right direction.

This is what a buddy told me who had a nice "papered" lab but no hunting bloodline and sent her to a trainer and trainer said it wasn't worth his time.

Comment

Retreiver training

This is what a buddy told me who had a nice "papered" lab but no hunting bloodline and sent her to a trainer and trainer said it wasn't worth his time.

I used to have a nice "papered" lab that worked great for hunting ponds. Short retrieves. I now have a high powered "papered" lab who's momma and daddy are both master hunters and grand master hunter retriever champions as is most of her blood line on both sides going back 4 generations. Her momma was a guide dog in Nebraska and picked up 30 birds a day all season for 7 years. Her daddy is the same and as a 4 year old had already made 3 successful passes at master nationals. And I'm telling you I'm no expert trainer. But this little girl is a stud! I wish I had the money to send her to training or time to work with her more. She blows me away at how fast she learns things and how she NEVER forgets. Honestly, I'm not trying to brag at all. I give all the credit to her. She simply amazes me at times.

Comment

Just looked up Bill Hillman, $150 for his book/dvd set. Ouch. What does he do so different that the other books?

Already planned on water dog and the 10 minute retriever books.

Comment

Best money I've ever spent to send my to the trainer as pups.

Comment

Just looked up Bill Hillman, $150 for his book/dvd set. Ouch. What does he do so different that the other books?

Already planned on water dog and the 10 minute retriever books.

Bill hillman goes way in depth. He breaks things down and simplifies them on every level. Just about every serious trainer bases their techniques off his. I bought my lab through Derek Randall at the retriever academy in Oklahoma. And he can and does train some beasts of retrievers. And he bases most of his training off bill hillman.

On the flip side, water dog is a great book too. What I can tell you is DO NOT progress to another stage of training until the dog can do what you've taught flawlessly. Also, make it fun and make it into games. Make it short and simple sessions. Every dog is different.

Comment

Originally posted by rferg84 View Post
                      Best money I've ever spent to send my to the trainer as pups.

With time, effort, and patience a person can have a great dog started at 6 months. Mine was running double marks at 4 months and triples at 6 with 50 yard blinds. She's never seen a trainer.

Comment

I second what dapper dan said.
                        Bill hillman book/video and water dog/book or video. All you need. I got Jack from the Hillmans as a started dog. Finished him with water dog book.

Comment

I will be looking into some of these other books I guess. I have water dog but would like to have as much knowledge as possible. My little pup is 8.5 weeks and has been learning super fast. Spent 5 minutes with him on SIT almost a week ago and he hasn't missed that command once since. Gonna start him on adding the whistle in this weekend.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by ChickenWilly View Post
                            I will be looking into some of these other books I guess. I have water dog but would like to have as much knowledge as possible. My little pup is 8.5 weeks and has been learning super fast. Spent 5 minutes with him on SIT almost a week ago and he hasn't missed that command once since. Gonna start him on adding the whistle in this weekend.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Need to start on "here". I'd have sit and here down before you move to whistle. Makes it easier. At least it did with mine. Also, work in heel as well. You can teach "stay" but I didn't. Why give a secondary command when you will say "here" to bring them to you. To my dog, sit means sit until told otherwise. Fetching should stArt now too but do not use the word fetch. That will come in later. Fetching is play and fun and a game and a reward. Don't worry if they don't come straight back or goof a little. The bumper is a reward for following a command. You say sit, dog sits, entice the dog by waving bumper and say pup pup pup and toss it. When they pick it up get down to their level and clap and praise them and say pup pup pup and whistle and call their name to keep their attention to come back to you. Remember, habits started now are a hell of a lot harder to break later. I found it way easier to train as a puppy with zero distractions. Once she got solid at the basics I would introduce distractions. Loud noises, people, etc. the ultimate distraction was going to town to work her on marked retrieves in a big dog park with 20 dogs and people running around.... I can tell you it will try your patience! Lol. But I can hunt her in any situation now and she could care less about what is going on around her!

I honestly miss training my dog as a puppy. I loved it and loved the challenge as well as seeing her little brain develop.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Get the book Gun Dog, then short training periods, but consistant. With my Labs every day if possible, 15-20 minutes, then play time.

Comment

With time, effort, and patience a person can have a great dog started at 6 months. Mine was running double marks at 4 months and triples at 6 with 50 yard blinds. She's never seen a trainer.

I don't doubt it, I didn't say it was the best money you could spend, or the OP, its the best I could have.

Life is busy enough with businesses and kids, trainer gave them the foundation they needed that I didn't have time to.

I've worked them extensively since then. Gundog and Pointing Dogs are two excellent books to read.

Comment

Working...
                                X