2020 Garden thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2020 Garden thread

I really wanted to start on the boat build first thing this morning but I had a small window to get the ground ready for spring planting before the rains come so, I knocked it out. This week we will start our seeds and as usual, put half in the ground the end of February. Most say I plant a good month too early but, only the strong survive and I’m harvesting when most are just planting!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yup, my garden is covered in grass and weeds and still has okra stalks standing......
    be good to put onions in now

Comment

I got 1015, sweet, and red onions planted yesterday. Added some cabbage and cauliflower, but really wanted to get onions going earlier this year.

Comment

I worked mine up yesterday, haven't planted anything yet though.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Comment

Just harvested some of my carrots. First time trying white carrots, a little more of a mild carrot taste.
          Kolarabi is about 3 weeks from harvest. Another first for me that was incredibly easy and will be an annual winter crop going forward.
          Collard greens are doing amazing.
          Snow peas are flourishing.

Comment

...still waterlogged and tomorrow looks like it's only going to get wetter...Thinkin' bout putting up a berm and turnin' it into a crawfish pond!

Comment

I can't wait until my new house is finished so I can start a garden! Looking forward to joining in on the fun!

Comment

I have a couple of friends that use Epsom salts on their tomato plants and swear by it . . I've made a commitment to do it as well . . Pros/cons? . .

#fillthepipeline

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                  ...still waterlogged and tomorrow looks like it's only going to get wetter...Thinkin' bout putting up a berm and turnin' it into a crawfish pond!
                  You'd have a small fortune in mudbugs by now with the rains you've reported in the last year or so

Comment

Originally posted by Sharecropper View Post
                    I have a couple of friends that use Epsom salts on their tomato plants and swear by it . . I've made a commitment to do it as well . . Pros/cons? . .

#fillthepipeline

I put epsom salt in the ground when I plant, and dissolved in water every so often. I have always done this and have almost always have had successfully tomato plants.

Comment

Originally posted by Bdub25 View Post
                      I put epsom salt in the ground when I plant, and dissolved in water every so often. I have always done this and have almost always have had successfully tomato plants.

Sprayed on the plant or on the ground?

Comment

We have harvested beets, turnips, greens from both, plenty of sugar snap peas, a few carrots, and a bunch of mustard greens. Brocolli and various salad greens have been pretty good at the house beds.

Still have more beets, swiss chard, and a bunch of carrots in the community garden plot

Comment

Almost time to plant Potatoes.

Comment

Originally posted by El General View Post
                            Sprayed on the plant or on the ground?
                            On the ground. I pt a few tablespoons in the hole i transplant my tomatoe plants in. It helps to set the blooms and as a fertilizer. I also add lime to the soil which helps prevent blossom end rot on tomatoes.

Comment

Originally posted by JFFB View Post
                              Almost time to plant Potatoes.

Don't know about where you are, but round East Texas, taters were always planted on Valentine's Day, Feb 14...

Originally posted by Katch66 View Post
                              On the ground. I pt a few tablespoons in the hole i transplant my tomatoe plants in. It helps to set the blooms and as a fertilizer. I also add lime to the soil which helps prevent blossom end rot on tomatoes.

These are very good tips! I always either used lime or potash in the ground with my taters, but never for 'maters... If I get to plant this year, I'll do the Epsom salt and lime for the maters too!

Comment

Working...
                              X