Another What Boots to Buy Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am going on a rifle elk hunt in New Mexico on a private ranch the first week of October. We will definitely be doing some hiking, but I don't anticipate hard core hiking all over the mountains. I want to make sure I have the proper boots that will keep my feet warm, but not get too hot, and provides the strength/support I need.

I have never been on an elk hunt before and never been hiking in the mountains in October. Any boot recommendations? I know not to be cheap on boots, but would prefer to keep cost at less than $200.

Danner Gila, crispi valders, and salmon 4d3 are good entry level boots that don’t break the bank, and require minimal break-in.

Out side of that it gets a little more foot specific, personal choice on the higher end. Lowa, Hanwag, Zamberlan, Crispi, etc

Comment

Mountain walking is so different when terrian is steep and rocky. I know Kenetrek makes an outstanding boot for that but not under $200.

Comment

In for the answers, headed to Montana end of October.

Comment

Cabelas meindl ultralights have served me well for September elk. They are right around $200. They have an insulated and uninsulated version

Comment

I've used Danners but my feet were really tired. Last year I got a pair of UA Elevation boots. They were awesome. Broke them before we hit the mountains and had no issues. Looking forward to using them again this September in Colorado.

Comment

Solomon Quest 4d

Probably best you fill find under $250

Comment

I used Danner Pronghorns but wouldn’t recommend. They are flimsy and don’t hold up.
                I bought a pair of KUIU Scarpa R Evolutions and liked them a lot except they were way too skinny. About A width narrow. I returned them and bought Lowa Caminos that seem like a great boot. Haven’t broken in the Lowas yet but they are comfortable.
                Salomon Quest or MTN would be good pics as well

Comment

Do I need insulation as well? I was hoping to also use these for hunting in Texas during the winter? This is likely a one time hunt with no immediate plans to return to the mountains so I would prefer to either keep costs low or get a boot I can use both on the trip as well as hunting in Texas.

Comment

I've had a pair of Cabela's Meindl Perfekt hiking boots for a few years. They're fantastic for hiking and hunting in rough terrain. I've put a LOT of miles on them, and they're not even close to being worn out.

If you want a taller boot version, they have them also:

Then if you want an insulated boot version:

I wear my uninsulated hikers with merino wool socks in sub-freezing temps, and I haven't had cold feet yet. But I don't have problems with my feet getting cold as bad as some people do (I don't know why).

At $200 and under, it'll be tough to find a boot that will be as good and one that will last as long as these. I'd recommend you spend a little more and get some boots that you'll wear for years.

Comment

Schnee's

Comment

Originally posted by BUCKSTAR View Post
                        Schnee's
                        If you have wide and high volume feet, the beartooth or granite will be tight.

I’m normally a 11.5 wide in lowa and hanwag , I had to go up to a 12w in the beartooth but then heel pocket was to big. 12 reg has good heel pocket but too narrow.

Very well made boot and outdry is second to none. Just a more narrow last then most MFG’s.

But then again it’s a $400 plus boot.
                        Last edited by Texans42; 03-13-2018, 12:50 PM.

Comment

Lowa Renegade GTX have been good for your price range. Have about 40 miles on mine, mixed terrain and they're breaking in nicely, seem durable thus far, supportive, no hot spots, no complaints. https://www.blackovis.com/index.php/...yABEgKCafD_BwE

As far as insul. vs. uninsul... I typically go no insulation, a quality merino sock and staying mobile will provide you pleany of warmth
                          Last edited by tanto; 03-13-2018, 01:27 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X