"Daddy I hope you don't shoot a Buck!"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Daddy I hope you don't shoot a Buck!"

Those were the parting words of encouragement I received my 6 year old son before I left the house on Friday morning. I had told him the night before that I'd save a doe tag for our trip in December so we could shoot one together; at the time he was good with the plan, but he must have realized overnight that it'd be more fun to be in the stand when Daddy shot a buck!

I had this Mason County deer at my feeder for 20 minutes on Sunday morning, thought more than once about airing him out but figured he'd be a good cull buck to take with my boy sitting right beside me! He was still in his bachelor group, I had the other two easily at 2.5 & 3.5 but I'm having a hard time placing this guy. My gut tells me he's only 4.5 but he's also the oldest deer I've seen in person on the place so possibly 5.5 but I can't get him any older than that.

He won't score well, but his frame is atypical for the area and he's got a lot of character. Would make a neat euro with a cool story behind him if I could seal the deal with my son in tow! Interested to hear yall's thoughts on his age, he's hitting a feeder near a road so I don't have high hopes that he'll make it another year. If given the opportunity someone on our lease will likely ground check him before the season is up.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2370.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	351.6 KB
ID:	25129795 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2371.jpg
Size:	270.4 KB
ID:	25129796 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2372.jpg
Size:	315.7 KB
ID:	25129797

Should have thrown this one in on the first post for those who are gonna through the score guess out too!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2373.jpg
Size:	269.2 KB
ID:	24513604

Comment

I think he’s at least a 5 year old, that’s quite a belly for a Mason deer.

Comment

He will eat well

Comment

I'm thinking at least 5.5, but leaning older

Comment

My first thoughts were post mature.

Comment

I hunt in Mason county too...
              I think he's 5.5

Comment

I think 5.5 from my years in San Saba county.
                I hope he hangs around for y'all

BP

Comment

Thanks for all the replies fellas, I've hunted out on this place for 3 years now as a guest and usually at the end of the season. I haven't seen many deer out there that are in his age class; I'm sure some of that has to do with my timing getting out there, but it's a small property and all the neighbors hunt. I think the only reason this one has lived so long is that he's a mainframe 7 instead of a 10, I'm hoping he makes it til the end of the season. It's been a long time since I've killed a buck and he's certainly mature enough to make me want to cut out some dates on a tag!
                  Last edited by agtex42; 10-02-2017, 07:09 PM.

Comment

Just out of curiosity, what broadhead is that? It is wicked looking.

Comment

Vantage Point Archery (VPA) 3-Blades. They're holdovers from when I strictly hunted with traditional equipment. 175 grains and 1 1/8" cutting diameter, easy to get shaving sharp and the steel holds an edge well.

Comment

Definitely mature. Really not a bad deer for the Hill Country. Has some pretty long beams.

Comment

5.5 if not older. Great management deer

Comment

Working...
                          X