No announcement yet.

Pressured Deer Are EASY To Pattern

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Congrats to your cousin car guy., beautiful buck. I hunt the thicket and have learned so much. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks for the replies and congrats to your cousin. Nice buck.

Comment

GarGuy, here in Ohio we can bait, and I do, though I learned very quickly that the only time you have a decent % chance of actually getting a mature buck at the corn in legal shooting hours here is in January when it's very cold and snowy, and even then, conditions have to be "right". Might get one drop by occasionally during the rut following a doe in, but it's not a high % deal. I do get some night time pics, but very few daylight. Out of the 6 mature bucks I've bowkilled here in the last 10 years, only 1 has been actually killed at corn in late Winter, and only because he had a pretty good pattern going on. All the rest of my bucks were killed anywhere from 300-600 yards away from bait, and only one of them was actually headed towards the bait, and it was in January with temps in the low teens and several inches of snow on the ground. The majority of my feeding here has been just "hand corn". I tried a spin feeder about 8 years ago and got a handful of mature buck pics there that Fall during the rut, but very few, all at night, and the bucks didn't look very comfortable being there. After that year, I decided to shelve the spin feeder and just keep feeding hand corn, and I started getting pictures of mature bucks at corn again. This year, I decided to give the spin-feeder another chance, but instead of doing one on legs, I hung it up in a tree about 10 feet off the ground, thinking maybe they might be more comfortable with that. Well, I got pictures galore of does and yearling bucks, but got fewer mature buck pics there this Fall than any other year I've hand-fed corn in that spot. Meanwhile, down the hill a mere 100 yards I'm feeding hand-corn and getting pics of about 6 different bucks, with at least one being mature and a bunch of 2 1/2 year olds. If I only had a camera at the spin-feeder corn right now, I would never know all those other bucks are hanging around.

Only reason I tried the spin-feeder again is just for convenience and so I'm not going out every other day to put out hand-corn.

My hope with the spin-feeder was to accustom my local bucks to it when they're fawns and yearling bucks, and as they get older I thought they'd be comfortable with it, since they grew up with it from a young age. Have you seen that with some of your mature bucks? If they've been using the spin-feeder from a young age, do they get comfortable with it and come to it still when they get older?

Comment

Originally posted by Joshua Flournoy View Post
          GarGuy, here in Ohio we can bait, and I do, though I learned very quickly that the only time you have a decent % chance of actually getting a mature buck at the corn in legal shooting hours here is in January when it's very cold and snowy, and even then, conditions have to be "right". Might get one drop by occasionally during the rut following a doe in, but it's not a high % deal. I do get some night time pics, but very few daylight. Out of the 6 mature bucks I've bowkilled here in the last 10 years, only 1 has been actually killed at corn in late Winter, and only because he had a pretty good pattern going on. All the rest of my bucks were killed anywhere from 300-600 yards away from bait, and only one of them was actually headed towards the bait, and it was in January with temps in the low teens and several inches of snow on the ground. The majority of my feeding here has been just "hand corn". I tried a spin feeder about 8 years ago and got a handful of mature buck pics there that Fall during the rut, but very few, all at night, and the bucks didn't look very comfortable being there. After that year, I decided to shelve the spin feeder and just keep feeding hand corn, and I started getting pictures of mature bucks at corn again. This year, I decided to give the spin-feeder another chance, but instead of doing one on legs, I hung it up in a tree about 10 feet off the ground, thinking maybe they might be more comfortable with that. Well, I got pictures galore of does and yearling bucks, but got fewer mature buck pics there this Fall than any other year I've hand-fed corn in that spot. Meanwhile, down the hill a mere 100 yards I'm feeding hand-corn and getting pics of about 6 different bucks, with at least one being mature and a bunch of 2 1/2 year olds. If I only had a camera at the spin-feeder corn right now, I would never know all those other bucks are hanging around.

Only reason I tried the spin-feeder again is just for convenience and so I'm not going out every other day to put out hand-corn.

My hope with the spin-feeder was to accustom my local bucks to it when they're fawns and yearling bucks, and as they get older I thought they'd be comfortable with it, since they grew up with it from a young age. Have you seen that with some of your mature bucks? If they've been using the spin-feeder from a young age, do they get comfortable with it and come to it still when they get older?

Baloney. I had big ones all over corn in Ohio. I put this kid on this one in early October. This was the biggest of 3 bruisers hitting the same corn. (Pennsville Ohio)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Ragin' View Post
            Baloney. I had big ones all over corn in Ohio. I put this kid on this one in early October. This was the biggest of 3 bruisers hitting the same corn. (Pennsville Ohio)

I've hunted and fed corn in 5 counties in southern Ohio over the last 11 years, and it is very rare to get a daylight photo of a mature buck at corn during hunting season in any of those areas. I don't know or care where in Ohio you've hunted, but my experience is what I stated. Yours may well be different. I know it's your natural dominant personality trait, but maybe on Christmas day you could stifle your need to be a donkey's behind about everything.
            Last edited by Joshua Flournoy; 12-25-2016, 03:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Joshua Flournoy View Post
              I've hunted and fed corn in 5 counties in southern Ohio over the last 11 years, and it is very rare to get a daylight photo of a mature buck at corn during hunting season in any of those areas. I don't know or care where in Ohio you've hunted, but my experience is what I stated. Yours may well be different. I know it's your natural personality trait, but there's no need to be a donkey's behind about it, especially on Christmas.

Maybe you're doing it wrong!!! [emoji2][emoji2][emoji2]

And I 100% wasn't being that way. You lack being able to see picking. Other than presidents we've never really differed. Merry Christmas Joshua!!!!!!![emoji13]

Seriously I was jacking with you. [emoji6]
              Last edited by JW; 12-25-2016, 03:12 PM.

Comment

Lil David whacks another. 5 Year old 8pt I called Crabby. He was super regular and should have been an easy one . I tried to put Johnny on this deer and he didnt show. Put Justins Dad on him...noshow. Put Jesse on him...noshow. He walked right in with another buck yesterday and David whacked him.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by GarGuy; 01-09-2017, 04:29 PM.

Comment

Nice job! He looks happy!

Comment

Nice! How much do you think he weighs?

Comment

Nice!

Comment

nice deer!!

Comment

That's because Little David has that killer instinct! Those boys of Don's are shaping up to be top notch outdoorsmen!

Comment

Originally posted by jooger17 View Post
                            That's because Little David has that killer instinct! Those boys of Don's are shaping up to be top notch outdoorsmen!

They are fun to hang out with. Strong backs too. The older get the more i like that.

Comment

Congrats young fella! Good one!

Comment

Things are shaping up good here in East tx. Last year, I feared Dad was on his last hunt. Im pleased to say that by the Grace of God, he is doing better than in many years. We passed a bunch of mature deer last year and they are blooming like roses this year!

We have a few targets designated already. I cant wait to sit with him when he whacks another East Tx pressured buck!

Comment

Working...
                                X