Recurve Tuning Question?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recurve Tuning Question?

Sorry if this gets long. Ok. SO I have an older no name recurve (~45-50lbs) an old man gave me a few years ago. No specs on the bow (he had spray painted the whole thing brown). I keep saying every year that I'm going to try and shoot a deer with it this year. I've typically shot instinctual all my life but not comfortable enough to shoot a deer. Ive been trying to convert more to a gap style. I finally have put some good time in this year shooting and getting my form down. I was shooting some old 28" carbon 400s just to get my form down and build strength. So I finally broke down and bought some new Easton XX75 gamegetter 500 arrows and I'm trying to tune them. With field points I'm getting ~5" groups at 20-25 yrds. Here's my problem:

I'm shooting fine with field points with whatever arrow or arrow length I shoot, but bare shafts are shooting very inconsistent. I've been shooting and cutting them shorter to try and get my spine right. I'm at 29" right now and they fly like a dart about 40-50% of the time, but the rest are all over the place. Some shoot far right (nock left), a few shoot a bit left (nock right). Sometime porpoise up, some down. Not much issue at 10yrds but big issues when I back up to 20yrds.

Do you think I'm still just weak spined? Or do you think this is mostly a form issue.

Could it be a brace height issue? ( i had to play around with this, seems to shoot best with field points at 8")

I'm about to say screw the bare shafts and just tune it with broadheads, but I hate doing that...

Is there anything I might be missing?

dw: 45-50 lbs (according to my fish scale )
    BH: 8"
    My draw: 27.5
    Easton XX75 gamegetter 500- 29" still workin on it

Oh yea. I'm also shooting off the shelf, with a glove and 5" feathers.

Comment

If arrow isn't doing the same thing on a consistent bases, then I would say it has a lot to do with your form. But that does not rule out other issues.

Try shooting carbon arrows that have the correct arrow mass and see what that does for you, and then put on a broadhead to see what kin of effect that has.

Comment

I think the 500 spine will tune with that draw weight but I would experiment with heavier tips. It sounds to me like your suspicion about inconsistent form is correct. That is usually the case when some fly like darts and others land all over the place - high/low/left/right. Form has to be near perfect when shooting bare shafts - any flinch, pluck, drop of the bow arm or other form flaw will exaggerate wild arrow flight with no fletching to straighten things out
        Last edited by jerp; 11-20-2015, 02:51 PM.

Comment

If you are shooting 5" groups at 25 yds. you are already the best shot on this site.
          Chuck

Comment

Thanks for you input! These 500s are the same as a 2016 arrow. I'll keep shooting and playing around with my setup. I really just don't want to cut all my arrows until I get my problem figured out. I'll keep at it.

Any additional input would be greatly accepted!

Comment

Originally posted by txchuck View Post
              If you are shooting 5" groups at 25 yds. you are already the best shot on this site.
              Chuck
              Haha. I'm not saying I do this every time I shoot Maybe a generous average.... Sometimes I shoot a 3" group. Sometimes I shoot a 15" group. That's when I go inside crack a drink and regroup later

Comment

Watch your form first and make sure its consistent. Make sure you release is consistent

Comment

Watch your form first and make sure its consistent. Make sure your release is consistent. I'd hold off tuning for a few days and work my form and release. If after that the problem remains try adding some weight up from.

Comment

Working...
                  X