No announcement yet.

Back to square 1.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shoot your "split" deer now he for sure won't make 160. Then get a Taxi to fix him!

I guess this means you found the 12???

Comment

very nice doc

hey do you get tons of pics of grass moving in the wind throughout the day when you have your cam set in the grass?

Comment

Only problem is that you pay for what they WERE and not what they ARE. He lost about 3600 dollars of brows. LOL

Comment

FYI, I didn't set that camera. Dang rookies. LOL That cam took over 1500 pics. Had a lot of buck pics, but a TON of waving grass pics. That pasture is LUSH. Neck deep grass. I hate the idea of killing a deer in that kind of grass. They can fall and you can stomp right by them.

Comment

Man I like that wide deer too doc.......I ain't skeered of short tines on a deer that wide...

Comment

Yeah, I like lots of air between the beams.

I went into the area and set up a blind. Camo'ed it with lots of grass as there was some available. LOL. I corned it for two days and put a TC over part of the corn. He didn't show on the cam, but there was a bunch of big poop in areas. I waited two days and then set in the blind. Mission accomplished. He showed up on my first sit. I had him at 10 yards, head down in the grass. I'll go capture pics of him.

Comment

Originally posted by tuthdoc View Post
                Yeah, I like lots of air between the beams.

I went into the area and set up a blind. Camo'ed it with lots of grass as there was some available. LOL. I corned it for two days and put a TC over part of the corn. He didn't show on the cam, but there was a bunch of big poop in areas. I waited two days and then set in the blind. Mission accomplished. He showed up on my first sit. I had him at 10 yards, head down in the grass. I'll go capture pics of him.
                Was this during season? I guess you were still chasing that split brow deer?

Comment

You'll figure something out Should be other targets shwoing daily.

Comment

Originally posted by tuthdoc View Post
                    Only problem is that you pay for what they WERE and not what they ARE. He lost about 3600 dollars of brows. LOL
                    Oops! They've got it figured out. That's alot of Pepsi!

Comment

The TC's were from Sept. The split brow buck broke this last week, so I moved off him and started looking for another one. I remembered this wide 11from the TC's and set up on him this weekend. Found him pretty quickly. Here's some pics. He's about 12 yards in front of that green bush. Gave me lots of great shots. I videoed him and got him approved if I wanted him. I did what I set out to do: find him and get him close. I decided to pass him. It was hard because I LOVE wide deer, but he's probably under 150 and I want something a little bigger. My little brother is wanting to stay about or under 150 and he might take a look at him.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01140.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	136.8 KB
ID:	23858966

Name:	DSC01143.JPG
Size:	117.1 KB
ID:	23858967

Name:	DSC01145.JPG
Size:	119.5 KB
ID:	23858968

Name:	DSC01155.JPG
Size:	117.8 KB
ID:	23858969

Name:	DSC01157.JPG
Size:	134.3 KB
ID:	23858970

Name:	DSC01149.JPG
Size:	151.3 KB
ID:	23858971

Name:	DSC01119.JPG
Size:	135.8 KB
ID:	23858972

Name:	DSC01123.JPG
Size:	117.0 KB
ID:	23858973

When he's looking at you, his beams don't look very long, but from the side and when he dips his head, you can see how they go back then swing out and up. Good beams, good spread, less than average mass and short tines. I think he'll score upper 40's.

Comment

I'd a passed him, too, Doc. I'd try to pass him through the second and third ribs.

Comment

Originally posted by Ricky T View Post
                          I'd a passed him, too, Doc. I'd try to pass him through the second and third ribs.

x2.....but I've never seen patience like this man during his axis hunts..

Comment

Hate to hear about the split brow, but man, that 11 looks good!!

Comment

I see why you passed him...

Beams that thin all the way out really bug me.

Comment

Here's the deer I've settled on. The pics are off a video that I shot from 100 yards. I was long range scouting from a tripod. Not "bowhunter" video at ultra short range, but you can get an idea from the photos. '

He's a typical 12 with a short "bo point" between his right G2 and G3. He's got goot mass. Average beams. about 17 or so wide. decent tines. I'm thinking low to mid 50's. He's not a regular and should present a challenge. I've seen him twice. Hog scared him off this weekend or I'd have had him dead.

Name:	DSC01250.JPG
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	23859021

Name:	DSC01253.JPG
Size:	115.2 KB
ID:	23859022

Name:	DSC01255.JPG