No announcement yet.

Need to put my dog to sleep. Question on cost

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have done it both ways. A couple years ago, my Doberman had to be put down. Like somebody said above, she was THE dog. There was no way I could shoot her. Our vet gave us plenty of time with her, sedated her, and pushed the euthanasia drug. She just peacefully stopped breathing in my lap. It cost $100, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Comment

Originally posted by Stan R View Post
      The $180 is a small price to send her off peacefully. She loved you unconditionally.
      I agree completely. Think of how much you spend on camo. The cost for this is zip in the long run.

Comment

Originally posted by IowaHunter View Post
        I agree completely. Think of how much you spend on camo. The cost for this is zip in the long run.
        Yep. Plus my dog is gun shy. She will be going to the vet when her time comes.

Comment

Ask a buddy to take care of it for you. You save money, a friend has an opportunity to be a friend, and you don't have to see it all.

Comment

some cold people in here

Comment

Originally posted by mjhaverkamp View Post
              Well I think the best way is to have the vet do it, if you need some funds send me a text, I will chip in, sorry for your loss.
              I appreciate the kind gesture. I can afford it, just dont want to get screwed on the deal. I felt like I was taken advantage of last time and that didn't set well with me.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkpuppy 1 View Post
                Not real sure what to say here. I've had to put a few great dogs down, and both were done by a vet properly. I really guess I don't get the whole " I love my dog so much that I'll blast him in the head with a gun" mentality. Absolutely no way for a dog to go. My wife is a vet, and IMO she does it right. Animal is first knocked out to sleep peacefully, and then the euthanasia drug is administered. One, the owner has some time with the dog sleeping peacefully, and two, when the euthanasia drug is administered, there is no kind of violent behavior, they just go peacefully. Last thing I would ever want to be the last memory is of my dog with a bloody mess coming out of its head with a bulging eyeball.

Put me here, that's all I'm going to say. Sorry you are losing a buddy.

Comment

Originally posted by N.DaWoods View Post
                  Ask a buddy to take care of it for you. You save money, a friend has an opportunity to be a friend, and you don't have to see it all.
                  If a man wanted to save money he never would have got a dog in the first place! I spent money on my dawg for 13.5 years. Food, vet, heartworm meds, no big deal. When it's time to put him down NOW you want to save a dime? That gets under my skin. A good dog don't deserve to be skull drug!

Comment

Originally posted by Duckologist View Post
                    If a man wanted to save money he never would have got a dog in the first place! I spent money on my dawg for 13.5 years. Food, vet, heartworm meds, no big deal. When it's time to put him down NOW you want to save a dime? That gets under my skin. A good dog don't deserve to be skull drug!
                    Agreed

Comment

I'm pretty sure you aren't referring to me if you have read my replys. No way I shoot her. She deserves a proper exit. I just don't want to get screwed again.

Comment

We thought our Lab was on her last leg so we thought we would have to put her down. We priced it last week in Liberty was $68, if we wanted them to dispose of the body was an extra $15. After blood test and about $1100 we find out she is diabetic. So now insulin twice a day and special diet $$$. I love my dog but I kinda wish we would have went through with putting her down.

Comment

Originally posted by Sticks&Strings View Post
                          I'm pretty sure you aren't referring to me if you have read my replys. No way I shoot her. She deserves a proper exit. I just don't want to get screwed again.

I quoted the guy I was referring to along with the other "shooters"

Comment

Originally posted by Sticks&Strings View Post
                            I appreciate the kind gesture. I can afford it, just dont want to get screwed on the deal. I felt like I was taken advantage of last time and that didn't set well with me.

Hate it that you are having to put a family pet down. As far as the charges, did you ask the last time how much the procedure would be?? Have you looked around-researched how much others charge for the service?? Hate to sound like an arse but sometimes the shock of a high price tag is our own fault for not asking...

Comment

Originally posted by Stan R View Post
                              The $180 is a small price to send her off peacefully. She loved you unconditionally.
                              If I'm doing this to spare my dog further suffering, after being a family member for a decade plus, charge me $500, $1000. I don't care. It's short-sighted to think about the cost of the service, drug or whatever. I've spent hundreds (thousands) on our pets to make them comfortable, heal them, keep them healthy. Spending hundreds more to give them the ultimate comfort after years of giving to me would not even phase me.

Comment

Originally posted by myway View Post
                                Disagree 100%. Sounds like a good friend that did his/her part and I would expect the same.

My dad attempted to put one down point blank with a 22 that didn’t work. He then had to climb under a truck to retrieve it and at that point it turned into total mess. He will tell you it’s not something he would want to do again.

Not something I would want on my watch and just doesn’t make since.

While I agree it’s tough there is still measures that need to be taken going with a .22 that could of prevented this. One, don’t use a .22 short, not enough energy. .22 LR is a little better .22 Mag best but in either use the CCI all copper bullets. Hollow points or lead bullets splatter to much where the copper round will be quick and instant.

Just my ¢.02 after years of having to euthanize animals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X