Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any right handed left eye dominate shooters?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm right handed and left eye dominant, and I still do everything right handed. Using a scope is not an issue even with some macular edema in my right eye.

With a bow, I found it easy to shoot with both eyes open. There was always a double set of pins and I just used the ones on the left - worked every time.

Using a handgun is a bit different - holding it out in front of me with both hands it winds up over on my left side in alignment with my left eye. I've adapted to this my entire life and never saw a need to change.

Comment

I am right hand left eye dominant , and I cant close my left eye either . I made the switch to shoot everything left hand , bow, shotgun, rifle etc. It took about a season to get comfortable , now its second nature and I shoot way more consistent.

Comment

I’m also right handed and left eye dominant. I enjoy collecting left hand rifles and shotguns. I’ve always thought it was an advantage to hold and aim a bow or rifle in your dominant hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

A lot of good responses that pretty much cover the spectrum of weak/dominant eye shooting.

The general consensus is that using the dominate hand with the dominant eye is the way to go; obviously starting young helps with this, but people have successfully made the switch later in life as well.

I would encourage you to get a coach and try left handed shooting, just to see if you can make the switch and see how it feels. I think a coach is the best way to go when trying this as they can really pin point the areas where you need to work.

I have some students who have made the switch and some who just can't; they just aren't athletic enough lefty to get there. For those students we use occlusion measures, tape on shooting glasses, visors and in archery there is even a shield that can be put on the scope housing to block the dominant eye when using the weak eye to shoot. Will they ever be as good as they could have been if they had switched sooner, or younger? We will never know, but these measures do work.

I was left eye dominant but right handed when I was young; I learned to shoot and swing a bat lefty, but wrote and threw righty. When I was about 12 my eyes started going bad and me left eye went bad quicker than my right eye and I was now right eye dominant. I learned to shoot righty at that time and have shot that way since then. My eyes are still very close in dominance so I intentionally get my left side prescription weaker than my right to keep my right eye dominant.

The only way to know if you will be a better shot is to give it a try and see what happens.

Comment

@sjaaaz is right handed and left eye dominant. Shoots a bow, gun, etc left handed...

Comment

For shotgun and waterfowl hunting. $10 Home Depot safety glasses (I wear the sunglasses all the time) and a piece of electrical tape to block the pin when shouldered. I could trim it to 1/4 the size and it would still work. I have a yellow pair with 1/4” dots.

The blockage is low-left when I’m not shooting, not an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I am left eye dominant. I shoot guns, play pool, eat and write left handed. I throw, and bat right handed. I shoot my bow right handed. All my shooting is done with both eyes open. The only problem I have, is I cant shoot a left handed gun. I grew up with all the guns I used being right handed, so I just learned to shoot and work them. I actually bought a left handed rifle when I graduated college, and sold it shortly after cause I couldn't work the bolt good enough. Feel way more comfortable with right handed guns.

Comment

I'm a weird one (in more than 1 aspect probably). I am left-eye dominant, and shoot a rifle and shotgun left-handed. Also write left-handed. But, I shoot a bow and a pistol right-handed, as well as throw, bowl, hammer, saw, and do most other things right-handed (more strength on the right side). Doing any of these things with the other hand is very awkward. About the only thing I can do ambidextrously is eat, which is probably just a function of being a lard*****.

Comment

I'm all messed up compared to some of you guys. I'm right eye dominant and shoot right handed. But, I write left handed. My parents and grandparents saw that I wrote left handed, threw balls left handed and they had a fit. I guess they figured I'd be a freak or something. Sooooo, they bought me a left handed glove and forced me to throw right handed. I still wrote left handed. So, by the time I got to high school I was quite competent at throwing a baseball either right or left handed. I even pitched a high school baseball game right handed and then came back in later and pitched left handed.

But now I strictly shoot right handed with both eyes open no matter what weapon I'm using. The GF is a little weird too, being left eye dominant and shoots right handed.

Comment

Originally posted by gatorgar View Post
                      I just shoot lefty. It's actually easy for me to switch hands now

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
                      Same. My daughter is the same. So I bought her lefty rifles
                      My bow is lefty.

BP

Comment

the clear-tape over the lens works. I'm right handed/left eyed but have always shot guns left handed.

I've always shot guns with both eyes open but as I have aged my left-eye isn't as dominate as it used to be and I sometimes see two "front sights". I keep clear tape in my shooting bag and just a small amount of distortion allows my left eye to take over but still keep depth-perception.

Not a big deal with rifles but really helps with handguns and shotguns.

Comment

I strongly suggest that anyone shoot with their dominant eye OVER their dominant hand 100% of the time. You can compensate much easier with you hand than your eye...believe it or not! I have had the pleasure of training dozens and dozens, if not into the hundreds of youth and adults...and without fail I train them using their dominant eye whether it coincides with their dominant hand or not. From 6 years old to 60 this has worked without fail. On the other hand (no pun intended), trying to stay with one's dominant hand causes poi to vary greatly and very frustratingly.
                          It's all mind over matter...

Btw, most of the hunters/shooters I have dealt with are first timers...which is much easier to teach than say someone who has a lifetime of shooting. I would just say that the human body is capable of feats beyond our comprehension (as many, if not all of you, can attest!)...so switching is just a matter of minor short-term inconvenience. All this to say that these youngsters and (older) youngsters performed nearly flawlessly in the field, by shooting with their dominant eye...even if it was their opposite hand!!
                          Last edited by LGLP; 03-20-2018, 11:51 AM.

Comment

I'm left Eye dominant, shoot a rifle left handed but a bow right handed. I throw a baseball right handed and a football left. I fish right handed but can only cast with my left. Sometimes when its something new, I have a hard time deciding which hand to use.

Comment

I do some things left and some things right, when I was little and got my first bb gun physically the gun just felt right shooting right handed but I couldn't "wink" my left eye. Tried to shoot left but it just felt weird so I taught myself to wink my left eye. always closed my eye with a shotgun and been a decent shot and then decided to try and shoot with both open after hearing some people talk about it. It was weird but the day I tried it I missed 1 bird

Comment

I am just like Deerguy, always shot rifles and shotguns left and pistols and bows right. I am left eye dominate. A few years ago I tore a tendon in the top of my right shoulder and I wanted to avoid surgery to draw my bow, so I switched to a left handed bow. Once I built up my strength it was no problem at all. I have also switched to shooting pistols left handed with no issues. I still do most everything else right handed. I guess a lot of us are "messed up" like that, LOL.

Comment

Working...
                                X