Weekend of fishing in Venice, La

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weekend of fishing in Venice, La

This past weekend we were in Venice, Louisiana for a good buddies bachelor party. On the agenda for the weekend was bowfishing for redfish on Thursday evening, take Friday off since we would be out late bowfishing, and then head out on Saturday to go offshore to hook up on some tuna.

Now let me start by saying this: If you have not tried bowfishing before (as this trip was my first bowfishing experience) then do yourself a favor and head down to Louisiana and give it a go! It was one of the most thrilling outdoor experiences ever. We hit the water right before dark, and soon as it was dark enough for the lights on the airboat to really penetrate the water, the shooting began, and we shot non-stop for nearly four hours! Mind you, the conditions of the water were not ideal as the tide had come in causing the water level to rise as well as making it very murky. However we still saw/shot at a ton of fish, and if we would have been able to hit at least 50% of the fish we shot at we would have filled the boat (a few too many beverages may have affected our aim a tad). Between the 7 of us, we managed to get 26 redfish, 3 sheepshead, and 2 flounder in the boat! Our captain was a great guy as well and really put the icing on the cake with his attitude and how he interacted with us (the guy is a character and loves to talk a bunch of s***). Awesome is an understatement to describe the trip.

Then on Saturday we headed out offshore with our target being yellowfin tuna. When the trip first started we had doubts that it was going to be a good trip. Between getting caught in a rain storm and it taking us nearly 3 hours to catch bait, throngs weren't looking too bright. Then when we got to the first rig, the captain threw out two lines and almost immediately we had our first tuna on the hook. I was actually first up to fight the fish since I had walked to the back of the boat to pee, but as soon as I heard the reel screaming I forgot all about using the restroom! Now, I have been offshore before and caught snapper and sharks and various other species of fish, but I have never fought any fish with the power that these tuna have (and we weren't using a fighting chair or belt, it was all standing and fighting!)! Honestly, I didn't really have the technique of how you should fight these fish down, and after about 20 minutes I was wore out! My back hurt, my forearms were cramping, and I had to tag my buddy Jason in to take up where I was leaving off (I would rather tag out than lose the fish). We got the first fish in the boat and set out more lines....three and a half hours later we had only 3 tuna in the boat, all above 50 pounds, but it was slow going and we were running out of time. So the captain asked if we wanted to try a new spot, but also told us that he hadn't heard anybody talking about that spot over the radio so he didn't know if it was worth going or not, and opted to try the new spot anyways. So we arrive at the new spot and there are only two boats drifting, which, at first, seemed like a bad omen. However, about 5 minutes after the lines were set out we had a tuna on the hook! We landed the tuna and set the lines out again. Then both reels started screaming and we were doubled up with tuna! We got those tuna in the boat and set out another two lines. Just a few minutes later both reels started screaming again, and we had another two tuna on the hook! Then the deck hand who was helping our captain out cast out a third line while we had our hands full with the two tuna that were already on the hook, and that reel started screaming as soon as the bait hit the water! TRIPLED UP!! We were so worn out after that, that we just told the captain to head back to the marina. What seemed like slow day quickly became one of the best fishing trips I have ever been on!!

So if any of you ever head to Venice to fish give Capt. Alan with Southern Style Bowfishing (for bowfishing obviously) and Capt. Michael Pittman with Fish Venice Charters (for offshore) a call! They are some great guys who know their stuff and will do whatever they can to put you on the fish!!

Also, I'm uploading pictures from my phone and for some reason it only allows me to upload one at a time so it's gonna take me a few to get all the pictures on here.
    Attached Files

And of course my phone always gives me problems with uploading pictures so if there is someone that I could send them to that could post them and get the one above straight that would be great! Thanks!

409-540-4276

Comment

Ole Yedor, Is a fun guy to hang out with ! we used to fish against him all the time at the bowfishing tournaments. It is some awesome fishing down there for sure !

Comment

heck ya- gotta love the raw power of YFT

Comment

Yes sir!

Comment

I just found this thread, we had a blast and here are a few more pics. We ended up with 9 tuna on our boat all over 50 pounds with the biggest being 87 pounds.

As Jacob said, I highly recommend Alan Yedor with Southernstyle Bowfishing and Michael Pittman with Fish Venice Charters. I have bowfished for as long as I can remember and always wanted to go do one of these Louisiana marsh redfish trips, since we can't shoot them in Texas, I will go back and do both, emphasis on the Bowfishing.

Comment

Ya'll had a heck of a weekend! 9 tuna is awesome!!

Comment

That was a fun weekend for sure! Ya'll smashed the yellowfin!

Comment

Great trip! i know Alan very well. that statement about talking trash is dead on.. Great guy and he knows the waters. I could tell a few stories..

Comment

bucket list trip.
                    Y'all did great, congrats!

Comment

wow great catch

Comment

Bump for those searching Venice

Comment

Working...
                        X