Buck Fever

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buck Fever

Never considered myself too serious of a bow hunter, try to get out 1-2 nights a week and full weekends During the rut. I use an older Hoyt that my dad gave me when he switched to crossbow. Grew up shooting and always enjoyed it, loved 3D shoots and leagues growing up, but moved away from it.
    Drink a beer or two in the stand, do my best with the wind and always learning. Pretty much just enjoy the whole thing and don’t like getting too uptight about it all. Really just enjoyed the whole thing from shooting foam blocks, new stands and especially land, dirt and saw work. A 160” is probably as big as I’d ever expect off this spot and that’s still a big deer, but I never expected to see anything like this on this property.
    Well, it just got real last night and I’m a wreck. Was out mowing trails down to some stand locations and I bumped the deer that’s got me all knotted up, I can’t think straight, I didn’t sleep. I’m a mess. Gotta get a new bow, new clothes, possibly a truck and side by side. Got up close and personal with this guy that appeared 2 times on camera last year. While I was excited about him last season, deep down, was convinced my hunting partner was pranking me, simply because he’s far beyond what we normally target. I think he’s grown a bit since the photos.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Txtourist; 08-01-2020, 10:39 AM.

Thats a whopper for sure, i wouldn't loose any sleep. If it happens it happens. Probably be a different story if he walked out on me while in the stand, i would probably fall out just starin at him. Lol

Comment

Man that is a giant and if he’s bigger now then good luck and shoot straight. Would love to see pics of him from this year

Comment

In for fall LDP's.

Listen just relax. A deer is a deer. Research what you need to change, set up a plan, then execute. Either you get him or you don't. Just don't get nervous when you pull back. Good luck!!

Sent from my BLA-L29 using Tapatalk

Comment

Good Lord. He’s a giant. I’d be shook up too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

[emoji44] Saskatchewan??? Holy mass. Good luck getting him dead.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Comment

I would literally sleep in the stand, what a toad!!!!!!

Comment

They’re out there but only the lucky get a chance at them. I have literally missed shooting this one by five minutes. If I had stayed five mins longer he’d be on the wall... Just hunt as much as possible and give yourself the opportunity to be a lucky one! Good luck OP

Comment

Originally posted by LivinADream View Post
                  [emoji44] Saskatchewan??? Holy mass. Good luck getting him dead.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
                  Minnesota- family friends are land developers. It’s a blessing in that they let us hunt some amazing properties close to home and ask little in return. This one is a few hundred acres behind a strip mall on the divide of suburbs to Ag. The curse is that each spot is temporary until it sells. We had a duck and deer spot a few years back that was ridiculous and I got the dreaded call that they closed a sale the night before archery/duck opener. It’s given me motivation to not pass up any opportunity to sit regardless of wind or whim.
                  So there’s season ticking down and the threat of it being gone at any moment. No complaints, just a challenging type stress and a concerted effort to keep the spot and it’s possibilities quiet locally. I literally don’t even tell my own dad.
                  The pressured deer are easy thread has been an eye opener and game changer and I’m grateful to @Garguy for that. I’ve seen deer behavior that’s almost beyond explanation in these little metro pockets. Short of climbing a tree, I’ve watched numerous deer avoid dog walkers, cars, a black bear and me. I’ve nearly stepped over deer, climbed in the stand, sat perfectly still, and spotted bedded deer staring up at me. Raspberries have created a lot of impenetrable areas that limit the options for getting into a stand. I mow 7’ wide trails and see does and immature bucks most times out, but the big guys will barely cross a cut.

Comment

Oh my! That's a heck of a buck.

Comment

Awesome! Good luck!

Comment

Holy crap. Can you feed corn legally? If so I would have a mega pile out right now and a camera on it. World class buck in that pic sir.

Comment

Amazing animal !!

Comment

Oh my... that’s some serious bone

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
                              Holy crap. Can you feed corn legally? If so I would have a mega pile out right now and a camera on it. World class buck in that pic sir.
                              No legal bait or attractant allowed up here with a CWD ban on even backyard feeding.
                              Weighing staying out of this little sanctuary against scrambling to plant a food/kill plot. I have sugar beets, daikon radishes and clover chickory on hand.
                              Literally a strip mall on one side, a neighbor hood on two sides and corn and sod fields the other direction. Leaning heavily towards tilling and planting!!

Comment

Working...
                              X