By the numbers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kae006 View Post
    And if it doesn't, what will the excuse be then? Were the numbers this skewed in the early months of swine flu?

If they include the ILI index from cdc starting in december your fatality rates will plummet to very low. This is being exaggerated for whatever reason.

Sent from my iPhone

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
      If anyone thinks, after shutting down the Country, they will release true numbers that show how stupid they all were then well....You need to wake up.

Excellent point. They will headline numbers to show they made right decisions. Shock and awe. I say we peak on March 28 to 30 in the US.

Sent from my iPhone

Comment

Originally posted by Charles View Post
        Allow me to introduce some statistics

Corona Virus 2020

As of today their has been 65,564 confirmed cases in the USA. 929 deaths.

Country has come to dang near complete shut down. crashed economy and untold numbers of people loosing their jobs.

Swine Flu 2009/2010 their was 60.8 MILLION confirmed case in the USA. 12,469 deaths.

Now, I ask that you review those numbers again,,,,absorb those numbers, memorize those numbers.

I do not recall the country coming to a complete shut down during the swine flu pandemic, do you?

Just some further number facts for comparison;

Average number of abortions in the USA 600,000

Average number of deaths per year due to drunk driving 10,000

Is it just me or have we lost our ever living minds?

If we aren’t back to some sort of normalcy by mid May then it’s going to be really bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by HoustonHunter View Post
          Those numbers for swine flu are from 2009/2010 after all of the testing was said and done (historical data). Once the numbers for COVID are out in late 2020/2021 it’s going to show us that this has been a load of crock.

C’mon man, think about it a bit.

I’ve thought from the beginning that the true # of infected/exposed people in the US is many times higher than what’s being estimated. It has to be.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Ice View Post
            If we aren’t back to some sort of normalcy by 1st week of April then it’s going to be really bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            fify

Comment

Allow me to introduce some statistics

Corona Virus 2020

As of today their has been 65,564 confirmed cases in the USA. 929 deaths.

Country has come to dang near complete shut down. crashed economy and untold numbers of people loosing their jobs.

Swine Flu 2009/2010 their was 60.8 MILLION confirmed case in the USA. 12,469 deaths.

Now, I ask that you review those numbers again,,,,absorb those numbers, memorize those numbers.

I do not recall the country coming to a complete shut down during the swine flu pandemic, do you?

Just some further number facts for comparison;

Average number of abortions in the USA 600,000

Average number of deaths per year due to drunk driving 10,000

Is it just me or have we lost our ever living minds?
              That was last night. This morning it is 69,197 cases, 1046 deaths,

Comment

Originally posted by Phillip Fields View Post
                That was last night. This morning it is 69,197 cases, 1046 deaths,
                Still not even close to the numbers for swine flu and we didn't shut down the country or have mass hysteria during swine flu like we are today.

Comment

Still not even close to the numbers for swine flu and we didn't shut down the country or have mass hysteria during swine flu like we are today.
                  The problem is now, every death is gonna be reported as Covid-19 related.

Comment

One half will say,”Look, the lockdown helped”. The other will say “Look, we didn’t need to do this, it wasn’t that bad”. I don’t know the answer, but plenty of TBHers obviously do. Lol.

Comment

Originally posted by oktx View Post
                      One half will say,”Look, the lockdown helped”. The other will say “Look, we didn’t need to do this, it wasn’t that bad”. I don’t know the answer, but plenty of TBHers obviously do. Lol.
                      Exactly. The only option where both sides don't claim victory is a massive amount of deaths before this is over. If it turns out to be mild compared to predictions, everyone from all sides will say; "see, told you".

Comment

The truth of the matter is Italy and Spain did not do a lock down until they realized how fast it was spreading. (Link for number of cases and mortality and populations)

Italy has 60.5M people,
                        74,386 cases (.12 % of population) and
                        7,503 deaths (10.1% mortality) (btw - Italy has stopped reporting.)

Spain has 46.7M people
                        56,188 cases (.12% of population) and
                        4,089 deaths (7.3% mortality)

The US has 331M people
                        68,802 cases (0.0002% of the population) and
                        1,037 deaths (1.5% mortality)

Is social distancing working to slow the spread? It sure looks like it. Either that or we have the best health care and sanitation system in the world.

Do I agree with shutting everything down? No, but if that is the way to enforce social distancing since some idiots don't get it, then unfortunately, do it. Do I agree with $1200 per person aid package? No. I think only the people who lost money by the way of lost hours or business should get help. Personally, I haven't lost a thing. I believe the vast majority of the US is the same. Lots and lots of people working from home.

Predictive modeling makes too many assumptions.
                        There are way too many people pretending to be health care scientists.

Comment

The swine flu from 4/12/09 thru 4/10/10 caused 12,469 deaths. This was over a period of a year.

The first covid-19 death was Feb 29, as of today (3/26/2020) the death toll is 1029. This is a period of 1 month and the toll is still climbing.

How do you compare the numbers from a 1 year period to the numbers from a year period? At this point we don't know if the covid numbers are going to be more or less than the swine flu numbers.

Comment

Originally posted by Phillip Fields View Post
                            The swine flu from 4/12/09 thru 4/10/10 caused 12,469 deaths. This was over a period of a year.

The first covid-19 death was Feb 29, as of today (3/26/2020) the death toll is 1029. This is a period of 1 month and the toll is still climbing.

How do you compare the numbers from a 1 year period to the numbers from a year period? At this point we don't know if the covid numbers are going to be more or less than the swine flu numbers.
                            True, hard to compare numbers with incomplete data. Not hard to see they are trying to limit the spread of this since they don't want a repeat of the deaths caused by Swine Flu.

On January 15, 2010, the CDC released new estimate figures for swine flu, saying it has sickened about 55 million Americans and killed about 11,160 from April through mid-December.[130] On February 12, 2010, the CDC released updated estimate figures for swine flu, reporting that, in total, 57 million Americans had been sickened, 257,000 had been hospitalised and 11,690 people had died (including 1,180 children) due to swine flu from April through to mid-January.

Comment

Originally posted by oktx View Post
                              Look real close at who those people are.

One group uses non-emotional knowledge and facts.
                              The other gets information off TV and is scared crapless.

I'm not claiming to be an expert as the resident @#@ TBHers say..Just that I kept up with it. It's not hard to keep up with it. Just read.

Comment

Originally posted by Dusty Britches View Post
                                The truth of the matter is Italy and Spain did not do a lock down until they realized how fast it was spreading. (Link for number of cases and mortality and populations)

Italy has 60.5M people,
                                74,386 cases (.12 % of population) and
                                7,503 deaths (10.1% mortality) (btw - Italy has stopped reporting.)

Spain has 46.7M people
                                56,188 cases (.12% of population) and
                                4,089 deaths (7.3% mortality)

The US has 331M people
                                68,802 cases (0.0002% of the population) and
                                1,037 deaths (1.5% mortality)

Is social distancing working to slow the spread? It sure looks like it. Either that or we have the best health care and sanitation system in the world.

Predictive modeling makes too many assumptions.
                                There are way too many people pretending to be health care scientists.
                                Or the US already peaked months ago. It's the Flu. You can't contain it.
                                Follow the increase in confirmed cases and it goes hand in hand with increase in testing. That alone should prove it's not expanding near as fast as doom and gloomers say it is.

Comment

Working...
                                X