No announcement yet.

Adventures in "trad" fishing.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Also, my 9 yr old son is really wanting to get into it as well. He wanted to tie some flies so we did some together. He wanted his own box to put them in and wants me to buy him a fly rod. He now has his own little box of flies he made himself (2) and I told him I'd wait on the rod until after we determined he'd take to instruction first.

Just found out the date for the next Fly fishing 101 clinic by Orvis and I'll take him out there so that we can get formal instruction together (the Orvis online videos are actually pretty good in getting you started on your own and that is how I got started.)

Stay tuned... in a couple of weeks, maybe, just maybe, I'll be able to post pictures of his first fly fish. Of course, the biggest hurdle is seeing if he is patient enough to learn and go without catching alot of fish at first. Serioulsy, after being able to catch just about anything with a live worm, it can be challenging to learn how to trick them with the fake stuff.

Comment

Just getting started myself. I found this book at half price books. I've tied a few from here and they look pretty good.

Comment

You would recognize that popper I made from this book: http://www.amazon.com/Tying-Common-H...53M7X41X3PCXB1 that my wife also bought for me. There was some good ideas in that book. I am on the lookout for a good reference for traditional fly patterns too; just in case I get to make a trip to a place with cold water.

Comment

TPWD stocks a lot of local lakes with rainbows in the winter.

Comment

Originally posted by scdavis50 View Post
            TPWD stocks a lot of local lakes with rainbows in the winter.

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/fishboat...l_r4.phtml?r=4
            Yep. I have fished for those with trout bait before. I don't know how well they take to flies since they are probably fed pellets at the hatcheries.

Comment

Hey Chunky! Whipped you up a couple of spiders. About to play with deer hair. Found another reason to hunt WT

We definately need to meet up for another discover a Woodlands pond get together.

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
                Hey Chunky! Whipped you up a couple of spiders. About to play with deer hair. Found another reason to hunt WT

We definately need to meet up for another discover a Woodlands pond get together.
                first time i have ever wished i lived closer to houston!

you guys have fun!

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
                  Something like this?

[ATTACH]632610[/ATTACH]
                  That will work but make some with longer abdomens you have to fish them like dry flies.

Comment

You can also put some flash on the.back of.that spider and you have a cricket

Comment

Wow, thanks, I have been so busy, I have been covered up this week. I hope we could maybe meet next week if you have an afternoon that works.

Comment

bream killer. In east texas that is the go to bug for perch. If they don't hit that they won't hit anything.

google bream killer and find the website called bream bugs. They have the bream killers. Best color is black.

I do wooly buggers and a few poppers if I'm wanting bigger fish like white perch, white bass, and large mouths

Comment

Originally posted by Chunky View Post
                          Wow, thanks, I have been so busy, I have been covered up this week. I hope we could maybe meet next week if you have an afternoon that works.
                          Yeah me too. While my son is away at Summer Camp, I've been working on building his lofted bed. Spent the evening getting the wood and materials Tuesday; cut the wood and built the sections last night. Tonight it gets stained and then put together.

I'm really ready for this week to be over. He'll love it though; so it's worth it.

Comment

If yyou learn how to stack deer hair you can tie smaller versions of the flies in the Academys or Cabelas or basspro. I can maximize my bass fun with a 5 or 6 wt rod by throwing smaller deer hair bugs, it disrupts the water different than foam or hard plastic poppers and you get more hook ups I even tie frog patterns and use a sinking tip line and retrieve it bellow water and stop and let it float again usually the hit it as it starts to float upwards. get bud preddys flyfishing the texas hill country and tie minnow patterns like his.

Comment

Headed to the Y for some tae kwon do and my son wanted me to fly fish while we wait so I whipped up this guy real quick.

Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1405176778881.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	24314898

Comment

He didn't fish very balanced. Need to get the wings further up. Did catch a small bass with him though and the perch were popping him like crazy!

Comment

Working...
                                X