No announcement yet.

Criteria for thinning the herd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a Thunderstick III made by Jim Reynolds that is fun to shoot. It's not the most beautiful bow you ever laid eyes on (though it's not ugly by any means), but it does have a pretty cool set of what I believe to be timber rattler skins on it (I bought it used). I also have a Windstorm Archery Santa Ana recurve that is a beauty. It has bocote veneers front and back with a cocobolo and phenolic riser. It looks like an African Sable and has the lines of a graceful dancer. When I bought it used it was described as "quiet as a ninja and fast." It lives up to the hype. It was made by a bowyer named Tom Cable who was apparently ahead of his time. It also shoots where I look, most of the time. I guess I'd have to keep it, but maybe I could have one recurve and one longbow.

Comment

I am moving and still trying to figure out of getting rid of a few vows is the right move. I have such a smooth rer xr that I'm not sure I want to let go. I also have a soft spot for short bows. Not sure I want to part with a 48" check mate hunter I have. I don't shoot either very much is the thing.

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
        ...so if I can enjoy shooting it and shoot it relatively well it won't stay long
        No I meant what I said...
        Did you even reread what you wrote? You said if you CAN enjoy a bow it doesn't last. So according to that statement, you keep bows you can't enjoy or shoot well. That is why robert asked if you meant can't .

I still have about 9 bows. Many of them are bows I made so I can't bring myself to sell them. One because there is no real value there. But two since I don't make bows anymore, I plan to pass them along to my nephews some day.

Comment

I do like the idea of passing along bow to family. My wife and I had a wonderful Elkhart made by Javaman that we intended to pass on but I couldn't shoot it without hitting my arm so it got sold. I just hate to see them sit especially if I know I don't shoot them well. If they sit and I shoot them well it takes me a lot longer to think about letting them go. That's the problem I am having with the checkmate and rer.

Comment

If you can't infer what I meant even if the auto correct isn't perfect then I'm okay with that. As bad as I shoot I may need to thin them all though.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

I will say that there is something very freeing about getting rid of stuff. It releases some stress and allows me to focus on the items I keep instead of such divided attention. I think I will be going through my guns soon too. The problem I have is that most of the things I have are good quality and work well so getting rid of one is always a hard choice.

Comment

only 1, nope cant to it...
                1 longbow
                1 recurve
                1 composit.
                now what to do with the other 25 or so...

Comment

Originally posted by JEFFRO View Post
                  only 1, nope cant to it...
                  1 longbow
                  1 recurve
                  1 composit.
                  now what to do with the other 25 or so...
                  Just hold onto them. I'm sure other shooters will get much better price from your wife or kids after you croak.[emoji2]

Comment

My wife would give them away. I probably should try to make a few bucks to keep her from it. Moving is a pain when you have so much stuff.

Comment

Just hold onto them. I'm sure other shooters will get much better price from your wife or kids after you croak.[emoji2]

LOL, I can see you have NEVER met my wife...she's a shooter too, has 4 of her own longbows, 2 recurves..pistols, rifles, fishin rods..all most forgot, and a arvin selfbow..

i came home from work a wile back, and neetz says, i ordered a new bow today.
                      you guys that have wifes that don't shoot or hunt don't know how lucky or cheep ya got it....

Comment

So if you had to get rid of either a bob Lee recurve on a longbow riser or an Rer xr static recurve, which one would you keep? I hate having so many good shooting bows.

Comment

I’d say one really good trad setup would be all you’d ever need

Comment

Originally posted by jefandaward View Post
                            I’d say one really good trad setup would be all you’d ever need
                            Blasphemy! [emoji16]

Gary

Comment

I’m not very good at thinning! I think the last bow I sold was the one I sold to you! That’s been a few years back now!!!!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I've never sold any of my trad bows, though I've traded a few off for other trad bows.

Comment

Working...
                                X