Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alexandria La cops are always on the prowl

Comment

Sure hope today is better than yesterday.

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun Blake View Post
        OP was travelling on I-49 between Shreveport/Natchitoches where the speed limit is 75 mph. Must have been doing 85+ to get pulled over. I agree that many small towns (Olla, Pollock, Leeville, Venice, Golden Meadow, Port Sulphur, Buras, etc... ) you will get pulled over for 1 mile over the speed limit. Traffic fines support the budget.

The amount of said traffic fines are a freaking joke

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

The mighty Casey has struck out!!!

Comment

Man that sucks. Today didn’t get any better. It is still time on the water. Venice can be magical but if it isn’t it isn’t at all. A lot of influence from the river

Comment

Between the hurricane and the recent cold front it has become challenging. We caught lots of fish today and had great time with Capt Pittman. The problem was it was hardtails, jack crevalle, an undersize cobia and several blackfin size bonita. Just nothing to fill a cooler

Comment

Y'all goin' out again tomorrow?

Comment

No, unfortunately not. We have to head back to reality. Another cold front is forecast to move through at some point tomorrow.

Comment

Sorry for the lack of fish guys! I had the same bad luck with fly fishing for reds out of Rockport Friday! They just were not there! Bummer!

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
                      Sorry for the lack of fish guys! I had the same bad luck with fly fishing for reds out of Rockport Friday! They just were not there! Bummer!

Hate to hear that Randy... Better luck next time.

Comment

Venice Tomorrow

Originally posted by glen View Post
                        Man that sucks. Today didn’t get any better. It is still time on the water. Venice can be magical but if it isn’t it isn’t at all. A lot of influence from the river

Venice is magical, no matter the catch. We were a week late, the river isn't up or anything like that. We were targeting yft behind shrimp boats and they just weren't there, the storm forced the boats to come in and there just weren't tuna behind them. Saturday was less than 1' seas, Sunday was 4-6' and we just couldn't do what we needed. We had a great time and I'm already planning my return trip. Venice offshore is easily twice as good as Texas.

Comment

Venice offshore is easily twice as good as Texas.
                          I wouldn't say that IMO. Flower Garden Banks is a super rich - dual salt dome configuration - completely covered and duly protected Marine Sanctuary - off limits to commercial fishing as well as anchorage. It's all recreational, that can not be rivaled anywhere in the Continental USA Gulf Coast. It's the only active coral reef system from Texas to Florida. And it's here in Texas - surrounded by shelf platforms as well, with a 45 minute run into the deep abyss of the GOM with floaters and deep water action.

It is there you can stack wahoo till the boat sinks and pick up 100 plus AJs that hit baits trolled for Wahoo. The bottom fishing has every darn tropical fish the Caribbean offers as well as our traditional Texas / Louisiana shelf coastal species. It also has the hated Lionfish.......which is now part of the scene there.

And I've never gone offshore out of Port Aransas without smoking a pile of fish - YET!

Not on the boat and skippers I'm sailing with.

We even scored Yellowfin in 15 ft seas running in an offshore gale at Perdido one year, Northern blew down on us about 200 miles South of Port Aransas with a solid fetch...seas went 12 - 15 and we fished, changing to troll put YFT in the box. Burnadell can recount that trip for us

The Venice mosquito fleet has that world dialed in better than the fleets here in Texas. And considering the run out to the Lump is relatively in range of most of the CC boats there, they can maximize what they have.

Here in Texas, you get a boat that can run 3 - 5 days offshore, 4,000 plus gallon fuel load with a hull around 90 - 125 ft long, Texas can deliver some serious solid options offshore. But here in Texas, the local fleet is not dialed into the 100 plus mile runs our scene requires to be consistent offshore. This is soon to change.......very soon.

Many here do not target the species we have and opt to play the top game and or 200ft shelf game literally exclusively. But there's a serious fishery from 600ft - off into the abyss that is simply magical here in Texas. And those trips require a 48 plus hour offshore presence to mix it well.

San Diego - as an example, just back from an 8 day long range trip off the Mexican Baja. Two solid days steaming to get on location 550 miles south along the Baja. 4 days on scene and another 2 days steaming back. Here........7 to 10 hours steaming and you cover everything from shelf to deep abyss. Floater options in the NW Gulf, holding in hyper deep waters, is consistent along our side of the GOM. And the swing of the shelf off Brownsville up to Matagorda Bay, from a bottom contour zone, it's feature rich. Many aren't tapping it and for that, we are sitting on an offshore gold mine.

There are a few in the planning stages to take Texas to that next level. More than a Day trip on a Center Console and way less than the San Diego long range experience.

Texas 2 - 5 day trips - max a catch quota - shift to the next species quota. And multi-day trips allow deeper catch quotas per person.
                          Last edited by AtTheWall; 10-16-2018, 09:39 AM.

Comment

Working...
                          X