Another boat rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LivinADream View Post
    I called dad after posting that last night, and he said right before he put it up the motor was completely gone thru, and ran out of gas. (No wonder it started). So the motor was sitting dry with all now lines, hoses, plugs, carb kits. Basically a new motor. So then of course I had to ask why there was a running boat in the shop for 13 years and I've been chasing fish from every bank/ditch I can find that might hold a fish. He had some smart allec answer like I said the boat was too ugly or something. I guess I was too proud at 18 yrs old. It is ugly as homemade soap, but it's a running boat. Sometimes ID like to go back and slap 18 yr old me.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
    I had to chuckle at this...cause I've had that desire MANY times in the last 20 years

I'll be following also, if you need any ideas or tips, checkout TinBoats website. There are some amazing rebuilds on there, that have given me the itch many times over the last 6-8 years. I just haven't given in to the itch yet

Comment

Following. I've been wanting to get my little boys a small project boat the play around with. I sure like the hull design on your boat. It should handle well!

Comment

Let's get back on this project. I dropped the boat off to the aluminum man somewhere in the middle of April, while he was slow, he did a bang up job. First task was to extend the front deck and add a big dry storage box.

He then cut the transom out, and built an all aluminum transom. I didn't want any wood in the boat. Also added float boxes.

Next up were floors, sides, and center console with bait well.

The original seat pedalstools were all rusted up, so I ordered new aluminum ones that he welded in. Also had him move the front one back now that I have a bigger deck.

Now I was torn on how I wanted to do my leaning post. Remember this boat is only 16' 6" and I want it to fish as "big" as possible. I was worried that a leaning post would have to overhang the back deck, taking up too much room to only serve a single purpose. I ended up buying a cooler, having him build a way for it to stay stationary, and it serves as a leaning post, back seat for fishing, and dry storage/cooler. I also had him put seat pedalstools on both sides for riders while moving.

The last thing on the list was a place for anchor rods. He put one in the back, and one up front thru the bow.

I had him leave the floor and console loose so I can hide wires, once the wires are ran I will fasten the floor with rivets, which will be covered by hydro-turf. Then the console will be bolted down into tapped 3/16ths supports he welded in the floor.

Now I knew when he was finished I had several days of misery coming in prep work to get it ready for paint. I was dreading this. Anyhow I picked it up yesterday and headed to Sherwin Williams for paint. There was i gentleman in there getting paint and he was paying attention to our order. After walking out the there was Lorence, a man I had never seen, but he wanted to talk. He said
        "man that sure is gonna be a nice boat, but you've got alot of work to do to paint it, I think I can help you out."
        "I'm all ears pal, what ya got in mind?"
        "I've got a little sand blaster at the house, and I can blast that boat in about an hour for ya. I'll do it for $150".
        "Sign me up bud, I'll be there in 30 mins."
        So off to sutherlands for some number 5 blasting media, then to see Mr Lorence.
        This fella whipped er out in no time. After he was finished, we shot the bull for a bit and I asked him why he offered to help me like that. You see, when I got to his house, he had a stack of work to be blasted ahead of me. He said man I'm not real sure, I see things all of the time that need work and never speak up, but I felt like I needed to today. I for sure don't know the reason, but God was definitely on my side, as this put me way ahead of schedule.

After he was finished, this is how she sat. Still full of sand, but you get the idea.

In the meantime, I have been concerned about my motor. Didn't have any reason to be, as it ran great, just uneasy about its age. It is a 33 yr old 70hp evenrude. I accidentally came across a steal on an '05 90hp Yammy with a hydraulic jack plate that I couldn't pass up. This is getting expensive.

That's all for now. It's time to start pulling wires. I have to work Monday, but other than that, I'm off until Friday night. This should be a finished project before I go back to work Friday. Hang around it should move fast.

Comment

I just rebuilt that same motor on a bass tracker I had. It was a 18' and would run 65mph on smooth water with about 6" of the boat in the water. I loved that yamaha!

Comment

Originally posted by takarge View Post
            I just rebuilt that same motor on a bass tracker I had. It was a 18' and would run 65mph on smooth water with about 6" of the boat in the water. I loved that yamaha!
            Just rebuilt the Yammy? What was the reason if you don't mind me asking?

Comment

Just rebuilt the Yammy? What was the reason if you don't mind me asking?

Well this is going to be a long story. I acquired the boy in a trade. Even with me putting 1500 into the rebuild I still had the better end of the deal. Going across lake conroe and the fuel pump goes out. (It runs off vacuum and the valves colapsed) so I limp it back to the ramp and get it home. I buy a new pump and decided to pull the plugs while I was there. And well number 2 cylinder was full of metal shavings. It had a hole burned in the piston. I had lake tested the boat and it ran AMAZING! So I tear it completely down and did a complete rebuild. Bored 30 over to get scaring out and end up putting boysen 2 stage reeds in it and bigger jets in the carbs. New water pump and resealed the power unit and then ended up selling the boat about a year later because the wife got pregnant and we needed something bigger for the 5 of us. So now I have a 19' key west with a 115 yamaha four stroke.

Comment

Do you know what caused the problem?

Comment

awesome ! following

Comment

Do you know what caused the problem?

Yes sir the oiler went out and then the guy had way to hot of a spark plug in it so it just took its tole. The guy put a new oiler on it and traded me knowing of the problem.

Comment

It's a wonder why that feller that sandblasted your boat, has so much work at the price he charged you.
                      Wish he was closer.

Comment

Nice build. Very similar to mine 17.5 mod v. Going to switch to center console hopefully this winter. I run a 1975 70 evinrude and it runs like new! Will hopefully last a lot longer.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Comment

Well there is not a whole lot to see at the end of the day. I ran pex water line everywhere I will need a wire. I did this for two reasons. It cleans up the look, and if I need to run another wire later down the road, I can just feed it through the pex. I hope it works as easy as it does in my head.

Next I put the floor in, temporarily screwed it down so I knew where to drill through it to run steering and shifting cables.

Every job has to have a screw up, I hope this is my only one on this project. I drilled through my brand new transom for water pick up for the bait well. After getting the fitting in, there is no doubt that it will get broken where it is. My fuel tank goes there. If this fitting breaks, the boat sinks. I think instead of patching it, I will cut it off behind the nut, and plug it. That way it still looks like a functioning part of the boat, instead of patching work.

I am pretty much ready for paint at this point. After church tomorrow I will clean it out, vacuum it, then shoot some paint. While I was working today I realized it was Saturday and I wouldn't be able to get paint tomorrow, so I had to run to town. This took up alot of today's time. (Town is 30 mins away)

Comment

You could still get a custom tank for that location. Aluminum tank would be very easy to do. Or do a search on Google to see what would fit in a poly. Lots of them out there. Just a thought.

Comment

That is not out of the question yet. I still have a couple days to figure it out.

Comment

Tip. I put my tank up under the new front deck in my rig. Saves storage space in back, and moves weight forward to help with running shallow.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X