No announcement yet.

25-06 help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My go to rifle is an older Remington 700 in 25-06. I have had a trigger job and it breaks crisp at 2.5 lbs. My rifle really likes Federal Premium with 117 grain Sierra Game Kings. I hear a lot of good things about the 120 grain Fusion but have not tried it. My scope is a Leupold Vari-XII 3-9x40.

Comment

I'd get a fixed 10x SWFA SS if I needed a scope under $300

Comment

Get what you can afford.

Comment

I have a Tikka T3 25-06 and it shoots very well with 117 grain Speer BTSP that I handload. It also shoots the Remington Core Lokt 120 SP factory loads equally well. I have Leupold mounts/rings on it with a cheap 3x9x40 Bushnell Banner scope that never goes out of zero. I have killed some big hogs with it along with a few deer. I would use it more, but I just can't put down my Stevens Model 200 in 270 that loves 140 grain Hornady BTSP that kills anything you point at. What a great shooting little gun. Anyway, good luck with your 25-06. It's a great round for medium sized game although some hunters out west use it for elk too.

Comment

25-06 is a GREAT round for anything that moves in Texas. Go Nikon with a 50mm bell, for more light gathering in the early and late hours. Several models both in the ProStaff and Monarch so just pick your magnification. The Monarch will be over your $200 budget and you will have to research if you go with the 50mm vs the 40mm in ProStaff for pricing. There are those who don't like Nikon..but those like me who have bought Vortex and did not like them AT all! Over the years I have had Leopold, Zeiss, Bushnell, Occulus, Burris, Simmons, many more...but I always settle on Nikon. Why...at least for me, very clear optic and great eye relief!

You can get all the opinions you want, but visit a dealer and look thru them! Good luck and good hunting....

Comment

Look in the Cabelas pre black friday sales add, they have a Leopold vx2 4-12x40 for 249.00. They also have a Burris Mtac-30 4.5-14x42 for 249.00 or a Vortex Viper HS 4-16x44 for 349.00. All 3 would be great scopes for that caliber. Ammo wise my 25-06 likes the Federal 117 grain Sierra boat tail bullets. Have had great success with that ammo on deer and hogs.

Comment

Use Barnes vor-tx Tipped TSX ammo. I have a vanguard vgs and it’s VERY particular about ammo. I use ANY other ammo and at 100 yds it looks like a shot gun blast. If you do a web search a believe weatherby has a list of preferred amp for gun. There’s two bullies that rec. the other is Sierra game king.
                Since using the Barnes I have had no problems and it’s easily inside an inch at 100yds. I have an old Burris fullfield 6x18

Comment

Originally posted by PapaBear View Post
                  Thanks for the responses. I want to put a good scope on the gun and if I need to spend more I will. I am already way ahead in the gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  Try a Zeiss Conquest,3 x9, she will thank you ,especially when she can see 15 minutes before you can in the mornings and15 minutes after you in the evening.

Comment

Barnes 100gr
                    The Sierra game king is 117gr
                    Whichever you pick stay w it and DO NOT change.

Comment

Has anyone used the federal round with the factory loaded Nosler 115g partition? How did it shoot?

Comment

You will like the 25-06, great calibur for all things Texas game related. I’ve shot Rem Core Locks and Federal Fusion. I would not shy away from that federal round with the Nosler Partition

Comment

Originally posted by PapaBear View Post
                          Has anyone used the federal round with the factory loaded Nosler 115g partition? How did it shoot?

My wife uses the 115 partition and it drops pigs and deer at will. Check out the Burris Fullfield II 4.5-14x42. Has a forever warranty, is very clear and won't break the bank.

PS: My wife is using a Rem 700 mountain rifle but a 25-06 is a 25-06. I've never seen one in any brand that wouldn't shoot well with good ammo.

PSS: Optics Planet has that scope for $253 right now.
                          Last edited by jmeghunts; 11-13-2017, 08:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jmeghunts View Post
                            My wife uses the 115 partition and it drops pigs and deer at will. Check out the Burris Fullfield II 4.5-14x42. Has a forever warranty, is very clear and won't break the bank.

PS: My wife is using a Rem 700 mountain rifle but a 25-06 is a 25-06. I've never seen one in any brand that wouldn't shoot well with good ammo.
                            Youre welcomed to shout mine.

Comment

Originally posted by jmeghunts View Post

PSS: Optics Planet has that scope for $253 right now.

Thanks I will look that scope up.

Comment

Since it's for your wife I would recommend a 40mm scope with low rings to help her keep her head down and behind the scope.

Vortex Diamondback 4-12x40 is $199 at cabelas. That's what I would do.
                                Get quality bases and rings and have it set up and torqued correctly. I can't say how many times I have talked or seen people who are frustrated with a rifle that won't group and it's rings that aren't concentric or screws that aren't properly torqued and come lose.

Comment

Working...
                                X