Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cape Buffalo with a longbow. Let the adventure begin!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MedicineMan7 View Post
    Buffalo medicine arrived in the mail. 300grain Tuffhead hopefully will do the trick!

[ATTACH]908166[/ATTACH]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just put it between two ribs and you will be golden!!!!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post

Bisch

It ripped two ribs on Ellis' pig. I know they aren't as big and tough as those feral bulls running around Africa but then again we always just use a .22 to kill the steers for butchering. [emoji849]

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
        It ripped two ribs on Ellis' pig. I know they aren't as big and tough as those feral bulls running around Africa but then again we always just use a .22 to kill the steers for butchering. [emoji849]

There is no comparison between the biggest pig rib and a Cape buffalo rib!!!!

Bisch

Comment

I'm pretty sure those heads will do the job.

Comment

VERY nice head. I am hopeful to see that thing poking out the off side of a LARGE Buff. Since I have exactly 0 experience with Africa, what is your projected range on said Cape Buffalo with traditional equipment, and just curious... Does your PH back you up with some large bore rifle? 45-120 express??

Comment

Cape Buffalo with a longbow. Let the adventure begin!

If I remember correctly, Buff shot his cape buffalo at under 20yds. I was on the hunt when TexasKing shot his at 22yds.

Bisch

Comment

Good luck on the hunt...

Comment

A inside look at a buffs chest cavity.. For reference..

Good luck..

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post

Bisch

I hope and pray I'm lucky enough to get it between ribs, but I know my chances of that are slim with the way those critters are made. If I can pull off the same shot as Tim did putting one right in the pocket, then I'll be golden!!

Originally posted by Dry Bones View Post
                    VERY nice head. I am hopeful to see that thing poking out the off side of a LARGE Buff. Since I have exactly 0 experience with Africa, what is your projected range on said Cape Buffalo with traditional equipment, and just curious... Does your PH back you up with some large bore rifle? 45-120 express??
                    Thanks sir! Really hoping I can see my arrow sticking out the opposite side of his rib cage when it all happens!

Hoping to keep things in the 15 to 20 yard range, but we shall see how it all pans out. Lammie (my PH) will carry are rather large caliber rifle in hand in case the worst happens and take care of it from there. I truly hope that it does not come to that as I don't want projectiles other than my arrow being shot at him, but if it has to happen then so be it.

Comment

Originally posted by ttaxidermy View Post
                      Originally posted by ttaxidermy View Post
                      https://www.africahunting.com/huntin...le=7083&size=1

A inside look at a buffs chest cavity.. For reference..

Good luck..
                      Thanks sir! I've looked those pictures over a lot along with every other image I've found available that depicts the vitals on a buff. That inner cavity pic still makes me shake my head every time I see it! I've seen a picture somewhere of a full cape buffalo skeleton intact at a museum and it is pretty amazing to see how the are built. Still can't believe how the ribs are so close together.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Good luck sir! Nothing more exciting than hunting black death with a bow. I took mine last year. I used a compound tho.....so, I admire what you're doing!

Comment

Originally posted by cajunguy88 View Post
                          Good luck sir! Nothing more exciting than hunting black death with a bow. I took mine last year. I used a compound tho.....so, I admire what you're doing!
                          Regardless of weapon, that's awesome! I have wanted to hunt buffalo for as long as I can remember, but especially since I ready Peter Capstick's "Death in the Long Grass". I have NEVER been a big reader, even when I was younger, and that was the very first book (one of still only a handful) I read from front to back cover completely and have been beyond intrigued ever since.

I was finally able to come across the picture of the complete skeleton I'd seen. I know its the same skeleton, but the photo isn't quite as good as the one I had in mind but still gives a good idea.
                          Attached Files

Comment

While I will probably never go shoot a cape buffalo, I did go shoot my #75 bow tonight, in honor of this thread (well and some strength training too, but this thread reminded me that I needed to haha). I am enjoying reading about your preparations and look forward to your hunting tale

Comment

Sure looks like no matter what, you are connecting some massive rib bones. Not much way between those, even if you are a great "finesse" shooter. Again, no history with said animal, but I can't help but think you are more than ample in equipment and gear. Best to you, and looking forward the the remainder of the journey.

Comment

The arrow in this buffalo was off a 72# Recurve, and never touched a rib going in. It died 100yds from where it was shot!

Bisch

Comment

Working...
                                X