No announcement yet.

When to shoot a doe with fawn.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't shoot at does with fawns in tow. I only shoot does that have grown enough to where they are halfway as tall as my feeder. MB Ranch King 500lb.

I probably miss out on a lot of does, but I sleep better at night knowing that I didn't orphan a youngin.

Comment

I couldn’t split up the family

Comment

We just try to kill fawns.

Comment

Personally, I shoot them when the fawn no longer has spots. I'd much rather do that then shoot a doe late season that has one in the womb could be a future stud in there that never got a chance. Just my .02.

Comment

First deer I ever killed was back in CA. Was a Muley Doe with a Fawn/Yearling. Never saw the fawn until after I shot the Doe.
            Hunting in the San Diego Mountains. Glassed the Doe bedded down on a rocky hillside. Only caught an ear twitch is what gave her away. Shot her through the neck from the opposite side of the valley. 170yd Shot with my 30-06. Hiked back to meet my buddy and he was already headed towards the sound of the shot. Got back to where I shot from and we were glassing to find her again. That's when we noticed the fawn bedded nearby. Doe flopped over dead when shot. Fawn never got up. My buddy shot the fawn and we filled 2 antlerless tags.
            Caught a lot of flack for that back on a CA based hunting forum. Either way, 2 deer were going to die that day. Shouldn't matter if it was 2 does or a doe and a fawn.

Comment

A week ago???

As far as the fawn goes, it will be fine... Might miss momma for an hour or so, but you'll see the same fawn tomorrow at the same feeder.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Comment

I wouldn’t do it but that’s just me.

Comment

Originally posted by Cstat_hunter View Post
                  Personally, I shoot them when the fawn no longer has spots. I'd much rather do that then shoot a doe late season that has one in the womb could be a future stud in there that never got a chance. Just my .02.
                  This makes no sense. Killing a Doe is killing a Doe.
                  Her reproductive cycle ends either way.
                  Kill her early season or late season, either way, she's not having another fawn

Comment

Originally posted by DirtyDave View Post

Yeah, I don't mind shooting one with a fawn. But I dont like seeing a fetus when I'm cleaning one. I've done that before, I felt terrible. At least the fawn has a good chance to make it, a fetus does not. That's just me though.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by DirtyDave View Post
                      I understand that but what I am saying is I would rather kill a doe with a fawn then one in the late season with a fetus. Obviously killing the doe would end her reproductive cycle. lol

Comment

Originally posted by BW96 View Post
                        Yeah, I don't mind shooting one with a fawn. But I dont like seeing a fetus when I'm cleaning one. I've done that before, I felt terrible. At least the fawn has a good chance to make it, a fetus does not. That's just me though.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
                        My thoughts exactly

Comment

when you hunt axis that breed year round fawns and fetuses are always an issue. when they are travelling in a herd of 30+ it makes things more difficult. the last one I shot had an older fawn in tow and was 3 months along with the next one.

Comment

I’d pass. Hamburger and steak is relatively cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by sharpstick35 View Post
                              when you hunt axis that breed year round fawns and fetuses are always an issue. when they are travelling in a herd of 30+ it makes things more difficult. the last one I shot had an older fawn in tow and was 3 months along with the next one.
                              I agree that’s a tough one but since whitetail are always on the same birthing schedule I like to use my doe tags early season. I’m not bashing anyone who shoots them late season if that’s how they like to do things then by all means go for it! Meat in the freezer is meat in the freezer

Comment

Shoot Doe feed family.......look out for #1 first. I dont hunt a lot of heavily populated areas for deer. When an opportunity arises and its a legal deer I shoot. I dont care what anyone says. Every place is different and not everyone has unlimited time in the stand. So if it were up to me and that was a mature doe, you need meat.....take it. I pay too much to hunt where I am at to not bring home some venison or bacon. Im sure a few on the green screen are in the same boat.

Comment

Working...
                                X