No announcement yet.

When to shoot a doe with fawn.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Depends on what part of the state I'm hunting in. If deep south Texas I wait another month as everything happens a little later down there.

Comment

After the past 2 weekends of arrow slinging - we have a lot of orphaned fawns at the feeders. On our place, most all of the babies still have spots until later on in October.

For the most parts, the orphans seem to just group up with the other does/fawns until the rut starts. I'm sure the coyotes still pick off a few, but have always heard that once the fawns are up at heel (not being stashed in the grass to hide by their mothers), they can survive solo...

So I'd say - shoot away

Comment

Originally posted by tmurray View Post
        Depends on what part of the state I'm hunting in. If deep south Texas I wait another month as everything happens a little later down there.
        Makes sense. I am northish but have hunted quite a bit outside of freer in the past and noticed the delay there.

Comment

Originally posted by walker1983 View Post
          After the past 2 weekends of arrow slinging - we have a lot of orphaned fawns at the feeders. On our place, most all of the babies still have spots until later on in October.

For the most parts, the orphans seem to just group up with the other does/fawns until the rut starts. I'm sure the coyotes still pick off a few, but have always heard that once the fawns are up at heel (not being stashed in the grass to hide by their mothers), they can survive solo...

So I'd say - shoot away
          I should have asked this question before the opener lol. Another member on my lease had similar ideas to myself so I thought maybe I should get some other opinions. Thanks for your input.

Comment

Yeah i’m still scarred from a Michigan hunt when i was in college where I shot the momma...and for the next 20 minutes listened and watched her baby calling for her and running around frantically....i can’t do that again...

Comment

I am in the same boat with you! My brother shot a doe with a fawn and she still had milk... Kinda makes you feel bad but they fawns should be ready to go and as long as they are eating corn... Game on!

Comment

I would wait for a single doe or for the rut to start where the does will break the fawns off

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Nope, not a doe with a yearling this early in the season, unless there is a really good reason, and meat for the freezer is not good enough for me. I wait until the end of the season or even the extend season.

Comment

If the fawns are eating corn I feel ok shooting the doe because I believe the fawn can survive on its own. But I have never hunted an area with a large coyote population.

Comment

I do it all the time

Comment

Originally posted by cgny27 View Post
                        Yeah i’m still scarred from a Michigan hunt when i was in college where I shot the momma...and for the next 20 minutes listened and watched her baby calling for her and running around frantically....i can’t do that again...
                        Originally posted by haas0311 View Post
                        I am in the same boat with you! My brother shot a doe with a fawn and she still had milk... Kinda makes you feel bad but they fawns should be ready to go and as long as they are eating corn... Game on!
                        :/ not a good feeling.

Originally posted by TXhoghunter94 View Post
                        I would wait for a single doe or for the rut to start where the does will break the fawns off

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
                        I have been waiting for a single doe but apparently all of our does are very fertile.

Originally posted by Hookset View Post
                        Nope, not a doe with a yearling this early in the season, unless there is a really good reason, and meat for the freezer is not good enough for me. I wait until the end of the season or even the extend season.
                        I do not like shooting does in the extended season, too many of them have been pregnant.

Originally posted by Txhuntr2 View Post
                        If the fawns are eating corn I feel ok shooting the doe because I believe the fawn can survive on its own. But I have never hunted an area with a large coyote population.
                        Lots of coyotes. We have snares set everywhere for them.

Comment

I have 2 doe with fawns and the big mama with the bigger fawn is going to get an arrow if all goes well. She is the most attentive (skittish) and a pain in the butt to have around. Those fawns by now are more likely to get hit by a car than caught by Yotes.

Comment

Originally posted by RattlesnakeDan View Post
                            I have 2 doe with fawns and the big mama with the bigger fawn is going to get an arrow if all goes well. She is the most attentive (skittish) and a pain in the butt to have around. Those fawns by now are more likely to get hit by a car than caught by Yotes.
                            Good point. It is always the mom that spooks all the others out of the area.

Comment

I don't have anything against doing it but I just don't shoot them when they still have a fawn with them at any point.
                              I don't really shoot does though unless it's a big axis doe.

Comment

Originally posted by DirtyDave View Post
                                Shoot the fawn too
                                This

Comment

Working...
                                X