When to shoot a doe with fawn.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When to shoot a doe with fawn.

Wanting to stock the freezer and I have been seeing a lot of doe coming in but they all have a fawn or two with them. Some have visible spots and others are pretty faded. Pretty good coyote population in the area. I would rather not shoot a doe with a fawn but literally every doe I've seen has had a fawn with her.

Do y'all shoot does with fawns? Or how old does a fawn need to be to survive with out mom?

I'm sure they would survive just fine. I'd pick a doe that's with a few others. That way the fawn can stick with them.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

Ive always heard that as long as spots are gone then they are good to go. But I like above post idea also.

Comment

Originally posted by BW96 View Post
        I'm sure they would survive just fine. I'd pick a doe that's with a few others. That way the fawn can stick with them.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
        That is a good idea. Plenty of other moms to foster.

Originally posted by Dillakilla View Post
        Ive always heard that as long as spots are gone then they are good to go. But I like above post idea also.
        I have heard this also but man they look like easy prey for the yotes.

Comment

When I've hunted public land the biologists always say to shoot them. By this time of year the fawns will survive just fine. I still have a hard time pulling the trigger on those and usually pass.

Comment

We wait till all the spots are gone and then it's game on

Comment

I hate doing it. When I was a kid, my dad shot a doe that had two fawns with her. They were old enough to not have spots but they were pretty young. They wouldn't leave her. I had to chase them off and they kept coming back. Finally I gave up and they stood about 30 yds from us while we gutted the momma. Still feel bad and that was over 30 years ago.

Comment

Shoot the fawn too

Comment

Not my cup of tea-- not this early in the season.

Comment

Originally posted by Rodray12 View Post
                    Wanting to stock the freezer and I have been seeing a lot of doe coming in but they all have a fawn or two with them. Some have visible spots and others are pretty faded. Pretty good coyote population in the area. I would rather not shoot a doe with a fawn but literally every doe I've seen has had a fawn with her.

Do y'all shoot does with fawns? Or how old does a fawn need to be to survive with out mom?
                    As soon as she gives you a clean shot!

Comment

Like others have said, I think the fawn would be just fine and start running with another doe and her fawn (if she has one). Personally, if shooting a doe with a fawn, I prefer doing so when the fawn has grown out of its spots...but to each their own.

Comment

Originally posted by 1riot1ranger View Post
                        When I've hunted public land the biologists always say to shoot them. By this time of year the fawns will survive just fine. I still have a hard time pulling the trigger on those and usually pass.
                        I have been passing hoping for a lone doe to come in or a spike or something!

Originally posted by Louis View Post
                        We wait till all the spots are gone and then it's game on
                        May have to do that.

Originally posted by Dakota7493 View Post
                        I hate doing it. When I was a kid, my dad shot a doe that had two fawns with her. They were old enough to not have spots but they were pretty young. They wouldn't leave her. I had to chase them off and they kept coming back. Finally I gave up and they stood about 30 yds from us while we gutted the momma. Still feel bad and that was over 30 years ago.
                        I've seen this happen also, tough to watch.

Originally posted by DirtyDave View Post
                        Shoot the fawn too
                        Funny! My dad said the same thing!

Originally posted by meltingfeather View Post
                        Not my cup of tea-- not this early in the season.
                        I like to shoot a doe early for meat at camp and to have less mouths to feed in the herd and I may not see any later.

Originally posted by troy_w_7 View Post
                        As soon as she gives you a clean shot!
                        Doe going down this week!

Comment

I’ll shoot them on opening day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

The seasons are set the way they are for a reason. Shoot away!

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                              I’ll shoot them on opening day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                              I should have done that apparently.

Originally posted by Jspradley View Post
                              The seasons are set the way they are for a reason. Shoot away!
                              haha Fair enough.

Comment

Working...
                              X