No announcement yet.

Anybody Know Who Nels Gumley Was

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

True also. I have a 1949 static recurve with an aluminum lam and glass backing. I suspect that they were already using machines to cut the laminations prior to Nels leaving. I have never seen exactly what machines Nels was opposed to. It probably had to do with the heated presses and the sanding equipment necessary to shape the glass laminated bows.

Comment

I really regret that I didn't get into collecting bear bows years ago. I can remember when it was pretty easy to find Bear Bows for next to nothing.

Comment

If you get to San Antonio - go to the Buckhorn Saloon. They have a whole section (museum style) of Nels Grumley and history about him. Very interesting info and artifacts..

Comment

Originally posted by Ol Man View Post
          If you get to San Antonio - go to the Buckhorn Saloon. They have a whole section (museum style) of Nels Grumley and history about him. Very interesting info and artifacts..
          Thanks for the info.

My wife and I were privileged to spend the day at the Fred Bear museum attached to the bear factory in Gainesville, Florida. I have pictures of me sitting in Fred's saddle and standing by the record brown bear he killed. We were also able to watch the manufacturing process as the production line in the factory was running the day we were there. I still wear the Bear belt buckle I purchased that day. The museum was closed and the contents sold to Bass Pro in 2003. I think 1998 was the year we were there.

Comment

Phillip, I go back a little farther than you as I can remember going to the museum when it was in Grayling, Michigan. Dad was on Bears advisory staff we used to hang around the museum when he was in meetings at Bear archery which was at a different location in Grayling. The Michigan Traditional Bow Hunters still holds our annual shoot on the site of the original museum but the building is long gone.

Comment

Jon, That would have been great. I regret that I never got to meet Mr. Bear. I've only met a couple of the real oldtimers. I had the opportunity to spend some time with Dan Quillian. I also had the opportunity to shoot a couple rounds of 3d with Bob Wesley.

Comment

Working...
              X