No announcement yet.

Grilling thermometers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have used the Maverick and had no complaints except the range wasn't that great. It would fluctuate, lose signal and beep. That's fine unless you have it next to your bed while sleeping and smoking a brisket all night. The wife was none to happy. You can buy waterproof probes for it, but the ones that come with it are not waterproof.

I bought a fireboard and love it, it is wifi based. I can check and get alarms on my phone, even when I'm not home.

It's considerably more expensive but can handle up to 6 probes. I often cook more that 1 brisket or pork butt at a time so it is nice to have.

It has a ton of customizable alarms that we use in brewing beer as well.

Comment

Specializing in cool, unique and professional temperature tools. Super-Fast thermocouples, thermistors, infrared thermometers, data logging and more.

Sign up for newsletter, they will periodically have a sale. The Thermapen rocks.

Comment

Originally posted by mikeyb_23 View Post
        I need a new one. Its between the thermopro tp 20 or maverick et 733. My last thermopro suddenly stopped giving accurate readings. It was also horrible on battery life. It was the tp 08 though. Had a maverick before that and it lasted until the battery connectors rusted out from being outside all the time.
        You can put your probes in the toaster oven at about 400 degrees for 5 to 7 minutes and this will often fix the inaccuracy. Several YouTube videos on it. It has reset my igrill probes more than once.

Comment

I've had a Maverick for a few years now and although it's been ok I'm about replace it. Still haven't decided which one I'll go with, but after reading first hand reviews I've narrowed them down to the Fireboard, Tappecue & Smoke.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

I picked this one up because it it well reviewed and doesn’t break the bank. It works perfectly. The probes read accurately and the app is awesome!

I figured, for the price, I’d give it a shot. I’m glad I did. I recommend it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Well, I ordered the 732 this morning about 7am and it is being delivered today. Gotta love amazon

Comment

Originally posted by Starman View Post
                I use this one. It’s a good unit.

Can keep track of the internal temp of the meat anywhere I happen to be in the house or yard.
                I just ordered one. My Maverick I had the probe quit working.

Comment

Specializing in cool, unique and professional temperature tools. Super-Fast thermocouples, thermistors, infrared thermometers, data logging and more.

Just realized that you wanted grilling thermometers and not smoking thermometers. So my link is no help.
                  Last edited by Roy Munson; 05-25-2018, 02:34 PM.

Comment

If you wash the Maverick probes and dunk them in water you are going to ruin them. Just keep water away from where the probe meets the wire mesh. It's not hard at all. I'm still on the original probes because somebody gave me that advice. I scrape the gunk off and wipe them down with a clorox wipe or a rag with 409 spray in it. It has worked for me for a long time. Most probe failures have been cause by dunking in water. Probes are $12-15 online as well so they are easily replaceable.

I also use a ThermoPop and the LavaTools that Jerp linked as my instant read probing thermos. They are only for checking thermos in all parts of the meat wher ethe maverick probe is not.......or cooking multiples like chicken quarters or grilling wings..
                    Last edited by Smart; 05-25-2018, 02:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by texan4ut View Post
                      I just ordered one. My Maverick I had the probe quit working.

you can replace that probe for cheap.

Comment

I've never submerged any probes under the water. Occasionally clean off the chamber probe. It usually stays inside my smoker.

Comment

Working...
                        X