No announcement yet.

mud bugs boiled in clean unseasoned water = the best

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How are yall doing your corn and sausage and everything with this method. Im thinking if u just left it in the season water the whole time they would b un edible they would b so hot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Tuned in

Comment

Originally posted by ryanwood08 View Post
        How are yall doing your corn and sausage and everything with this method. Im thinking if u just left it in the season water the whole time they would b un edible they would b so hot

We actually put the taters and sausage in the original seasoning boil for about the last 10 minutes then made 2 separate slurry coolers. (1 just for bugs, the other for everything else). Added the corn with the taters and sausage into one of the slurry coolers for about 30 minutes, then transferred them to a styrofoam cooler. This keeps them from sitting in the seasoned slurry and getting "soggy" plus the styrofoam cooler does an excellent job of holding the heat and essentially "steaming" everything.

We then added our veggies (mushrooms, broccoli and edamame) into the same slurry cooler and let them soak in the slurry for awhile. Used the 2nd slurry cooler for bugs "only". This also allows you to keep all the stuff separated and easier to manage. Worked perfect.

Comment

Originally posted by RascalArms View Post
          We actually put the taters and sausage in the original seasoning boil for about the last 10 minutes then made 2 separate slurry coolers. (1 just for bugs, the other for everything else). Added the corn with the taters and sausage into one of the slurry coolers for about 30 minutes, then transferred them to a styrofoam cooler. This keeps them from sitting in the seasoned slurry and getting "soggy" plus the styrofoam cooler does an excellent job of holding the heat and essentially "steaming" everything.

We then added our veggies (mushrooms, broccoli and edamame) into the same slurry cooler and let them soak in the slurry for awhile. Used the 2nd slurry cooler for bugs "only". This also allows you to keep all the stuff separated and easier to manage. Worked perfect.

Did u add more seasoning in the bugs cooler? Or was it all the same?

Comment

Did u add more seasoning in the bugs cooler? Or was it all the same?
            Same original boil seasoning. We ended up doing 4 sacks (about 140lbs total bugs!). Used the original slurry cooler for each one. The only thing we did was add 1 stick of butter with each "batch" of steamed bugs that we added to slurry cooler. I think we ended up with like 6 batches. There were more than 30 people at the venue (not all ate of course) but we had plenty of leftover bugs.

Comment

Same original boil seasoning. We ended up doing 4 sacks (about 140lbs total bugs!). Used the original slurry cooler for each one. The only thing we did was add 1 stick of butter with each "batch" of steamed bugs that we added to slurry cooler. I think we ended up with like 6 batches. There were more than 30 people at the venue (not all ate of course) but we had plenty of leftover bugs.

Ok gotcha. Cant wait to try this

Comment

LOL at all the "No way I'm eating crawfish with mustard" people. Once you try it, you won't go back. Good Ole Boys in Katy has some great bugs! Glad it's walking distance from the house

Comment

Originally posted by MountainHunter View Post
                  LOL at all the "No way I'm eating crawfish with mustard" people. Once you try it, you won't go back. Good Ole Boys in Katy has some great bugs! Glad it's walking distance from the house
                  I wish I could attest to what exactly the mustard contributes in all honesty. We added it (a whole gallon) yesterday and I agree you can't taste it all. But if you can't taste it is it really a factor?

I understand why mustard is a key ingredient when cooking meats. It acts as a "binder" of sorts so all the seasoning or rub sticks to the meat. Just can't figure out what it accomplishes in the seasoning water. Unless it's just more salt?

Comment

I wish I could attest to what exactly the mustard contributes in all honesty. We added it (a whole gallon) yesterday and I agree you can't taste it all. But if you can't taste it is it really a factor?

I understand why mustard is a key ingredient when cooking meats. It acts as a "binder" of sorts so all the seasoning or rub sticks to the meat. Just can't figure out what it accomplishes in the seasoning water. Unless it's just more salt?

It makes them come out of the shell easier. At least thats what i was taught and y i use it. I cant taste it either.

Comment

It makes them come out of the shell easier. At least thats what i was taught and y i use it. I cant taste it either.
                      This is my understanding as well, but I'm far from an expert.

Comment

Cooking them the correct time length is what helps them be easier to peel. Just don't overcook them and they'll peel easy. As far as the mustard, I'm not quite sure what exactly it does, but it's been working for me, so I'll continue using it. Got some bugs boiling right now.

Comment

Originally posted by MountainHunter View Post

I ate there Friday. That was the last place I had crawfish last year and I thought being late in the season contributed to less than stellar bugs. On Friday there was no excuse, my crawfish were flat out over cooked, had multiple straight tails and the mustard taste was overwhelming.
                          To each his own I guess but the place is also filthy if you take a look in the kitchen.

Comment

Originally posted by TexaRican View Post
                            I ate there Friday. That was the last place I had crawfish last year and I thought being late in the season contributed to less than stellar bugs. On Friday there was no excuse, my crawfish were flat out over cooked, had multiple straight tails and the mustard taste was overwhelming.
                            To each his own I guess but the place is also filthy if you take a look in the kitchen.
                            I've never eaten there so I can't relate to your experience but if you're tasting "mustard" then they are doing something different than we do. Yes we added a whole gallon to our seasoning but no hint of it in the flavor profile at all.

Comment

we are doing 5 sacks tomorrow. If you do them this way do you just keep adding batches of crawfish to the same slurry or do you have to make more of it?

Comment

Originally posted by Bowtech Shooter View Post
                                we are doing 5 sacks tomorrow. If you do them this way do you just keep adding batches of crawfish to the same slurry or do you have to make more of it?
                                We had 4 sacks (about 140lbs) on our last boil and made 2 different slurry "batches" or coolers. We would put the hot bugs into 1 cooler and start them on a 30 minute soak. We would then clean and boil another pot and then add them to the 2nd cooler. Before long the first batch is ready to serve....then repeat into same coolers.

5 sacks (depending on size) is a bunch of bugs but I think 2 coolers is the way to go.

Good luck!! You will never go back to the normal method.

Comment

Working...
                                X