No announcement yet.

Garner State Park Axis Deer Hunting??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Many thanks! Saw about 12 axis does outside my cabin this morning. Hope they are moving towards my blind down the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Good luck! What part of the park did you draw?
      Originally posted by .270 View Post
      Many thanks! Saw about 12 axis does outside my cabin this morning. Hope they are moving towards my blind down the road.

Comment

Blind #3

Comment

Didn't see a deer today, nor did anyone on my side of the park. I am on the Western edge of the park. Heard one buck was shot. Starting to understand the 8% success rate last year.

Comment

Well the numbers don't lie. Hopefully I'll fall somewhere in that 8%.

Comment

Threw my blind back into the blind swap pool and drew a blind on the outside of the main park.

Comment

Their funny. One day you will see twenty and the next nothing. Very hard to pattern.

Comment

GSP Exotic Hunt 1/8-10/2017

Just got back from the GSP exotic hunt. The super and all of the volunteers were very friendly and helpful. However, I did not enjoy the "hunt" experience at all. to sum it up in 2 words I'd say it was like "hunting prison". I ended up hunting in 2 spots and both had a feeder at 50-70 yards out with a 35" yard wide window I could shoot in. Once dropped off you have to stay in your blind until picked up. If you shot something that ran off you were permitted to go place an orange flag at the location you shot the deer or found blood and then return to your blind. The volunteers drove the trucks to drop off and left precisely at 6am and 3pm. pick up was precisely at 10am and 6:20pm. Out of the 20 hunting group 3 hunters had success on the far North side. The hunter at blind 12 didn't hunt in the morning, but saw and shot axis every evening. More axis likely would've been shot if another hunter was given the opportunity to hunt that spot in the morning. This was not allowed bc blinds could only be changed during evening hunts so that the hunter could have the flags for his "hunting window" pointed out to him...really?! The whole system was like a hunting program for infants. Also, I don't think blinds were arranged strategically to improve hunting success as much as they were to maximize the number of hunters that could be placed...more money. There're literally popups everywhere around the park.
                  Here's the bigger issue I have with GSP. They have implemented Helicopter hunting with a 3rd party to decimate axis deer on the park for the last 2 years. Last one was done early 2016. Article posted below:

If TPWD is going to do this then don't have such large number of hunters out for these "baby" hunts. I'm not concerned with the hunting fee I spent as much as i am the "loyalty points" lost as well as time off from work and away from family...and travel expenses. I was up to 7 loyalty points before getting drawn for GSP.
                  I've hunted 2 other parks (Devils River and Guadalupe SP) and was allowed to still-hunt and come and go as I pleased. Saw far more game and enjoyed the HUNT...finding game trails, deer poop, hair, crossing patterns...using the wind to an advantage...stuff like that. I didn't always get a kill and harvest a deer, but at least I was hunting.
                  To summarize I don't think the GSP hunts are conducted with the best interest of the hunter nor the harvest. Seems to be more about getting revenue from drawn hunt dollars. The officer that spoke at the orientation made statements that they weren't making money on these hunts. Hard to believe given the volume of hunters they run through there per season.
                  I love that TPWD conducts these hunts at the parks...I'm also glad that the way GSP conducts the hunts is an exception and not the rule. Will continue to participate in the Drawn Hunt program, but will avoid GSP in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by WamBow View Post
                    Just got back from the GSP exotic hunt. The super and all of the volunteers were very friendly and helpful. However, I did not enjoy the "hunt" experience at all. to sum it up in 2 words I'd say it was like "hunting prison". I ended up hunting in 2 spots and both had a feeder at 50-70 yards out with a 35" yard wide window I could shoot in. Once dropped off you have to stay in your blind until picked up. If you shot something that ran off you were permitted to go place an orange flag at the location you shot the deer or found blood and then return to your blind. The volunteers drove the trucks to drop off and left precisely at 6am and 3pm. pick up was precisely at 10am and 6:20pm. Out of the 20 hunting group 3 hunters had success on the far North side. The hunter at blind 12 didn't hunt in the morning, but saw and shot axis every evening. More axis likely would've been shot if another hunter was given the opportunity to hunt that spot in the morning. This was not allowed bc blinds could only be changed during evening hunts so that the hunter could have the flags for his "hunting window" pointed out to him...really?! The whole system was like a hunting program for infants. Also, I don't think blinds were arranged strategically to improve hunting success as much as they were to maximize the number of hunters that could be placed...more money. There're literally popups everywhere around the park.
                    Here's the bigger issue I have with GSP. They have implemented Helicopter hunting with a 3rd party to decimate axis deer on the park for the last 2 years. Last one was done early 2016. Article posted below:

If TPWD is going to do this then don't have such large number of hunters out for these "baby" hunts. I'm not concerned with the hunting fee I spent as much as i am the "loyalty points" lost as well as time off from work and away from family...and travel expenses. I was up to 7 loyalty points before getting drawn for GSP.
                    I've hunted 2 other parks (Devils River and Guadalupe SP) and was allowed to still-hunt and come and go as I pleased. Saw far more game and enjoyed the HUNT...finding game trails, deer poop, hair, crossing patterns...using the wind to an advantage...stuff like that. I didn't always get a kill and harvest a deer, but at least I was hunting.
                    To summarize I don't think the GSP hunts are conducted with the best interest of the hunter nor the harvest. Seems to be more about getting revenue from drawn hunt dollars. The officer that spoke at the orientation made statements that they weren't making money on these hunts. Hard to believe given the volume of hunters they run through there per season.
                    I love that TPWD conducts these hunts at the parks...I'm also glad that the way GSP conducts the hunts is an exception and not the rule. Will continue to participate in the Drawn Hunt program, but will avoid GSP in the future.

I was there for the same time period and I agree with all the above. Not sure I will apply to Garner next year or after. Funny/Frustrating deal is myself among others didn't even see a whitetail, much less an axis deer. Perception of deer numbers and reality of deer numbers are not adding up. The driver to my first blind told me that last 3 years have been "pretty bad" as far as harvest numbers.

Comment

Some of the same discussions back when this post was started in 2015 (my posts included). This park is obviously much different in how they run their hunts than some of the others. Can be frustrating but it is one of few parks where you have a shot at shooting an axis. I took my son a few years back and we struggled. Anyone on TBH applying in the future hopefully knows what the hunt is like if they search past posts.

With that said, I've continued to apply. Love the area and I hunt E Texas so not many axis running around there. I guess my hope is if I do get drawn some day, I get the "hot" stand and lay down some axis. There are obviously plenty around (even with the helicoptor hunting) and just never know when you might get lucky. As far as "whitetail" hunts, it appears that the park has been taken over by the axis and have pushed most of the whitetails out. I think they assume more axis will be shot during the deer hunts than whitetails.

Comment

Originally posted by WamBow View Post

I just "got back" from the Enchanted Rock hunt and it was the same way, pretty much to the "T". I say "got back" because I hunted yesterday and then packed my stuff and left. Not going back and not going to put in for the draw next year.

Too many blinds, not strategically placed (literally right off the road, next to a tree), and only about one lane to shoot. Seems like it was 2 does and a pig were shot Monday evening. A pig, a spike, and 2 does were shot Tuesday morning and nothing Tuesday evening. NO one even shot. Also, after the morning hunt, our park ranger got his truck stuck, and I mean STUCK, so we had to wait for someone else to pick us up.

Sorry to hijack.

Comment

Forgot to post that back when we were there (2013), they didn't even have feeders. Just had to throw out corn/hay and hope the axis/deer wandered through.

Comment

Originally posted by COACH_EM_UP View Post
                            I just "got back" from the Enchanted Rock hunt and it was the same way, pretty much to the "T". I say "got back" because I hunted yesterday and then packed my stuff and left. Not going back and not going to put in for the draw next year.

Too many blinds, not strategically placed (literally right off the road, next to a tree), and only about one lane to shoot. Seems like it was 2 does and a pig were shot Monday evening. A pig, a spike, and 2 does were shot Tuesday morning and nothing Tuesday evening. NO one even shot. Also, after the morning hunt, our park ranger got his truck stuck, and I mean STUCK, so we had to wait for someone else to pick us up.

Sorry to hijack.
                            I'm sorry, but that guy running Enchanted Rock is delusional and somewhat lazy. As noted, blinds are basically on the road for his convenience. I had to chase my blind one day, because he didn't even anchor it. LOL

Comment

Originally posted by WinslowBoy View Post
                              Some of the same discussions back when this post was started in 2015 (my posts included). This park is obviously much different in how they run their hunts than some of the others. Can be frustrating but it is one of few parks where you have a shot at shooting an axis. I took my son a few years back and we struggled. Anyone on TBH applying in the future hopefully knows what the hunt is like if they search past posts.

With that said, I've continued to apply. Love the area and I hunt E Texas so not many axis running around there. I guess my hope is if I do get drawn some day, I get the "hot" stand and lay down some axis. There are obviously plenty around (even with the helicoptor hunting) and just never know when you might get lucky. As far as "whitetail" hunts, it appears that the park has been taken over by the axis and have pushed most of the whitetails out. I think they assume more axis will be shot during the deer hunts than whitetails.
                              I only saw two whitetail in five days. Most of the axis I saw hung out by the park entrance and by the group cabins. As noted, the hunt is not worth the amount they charge for it.

Comment

Thanks for the input on enchanted rock. i'll avoid that park as well. it's a shame bc GSP and enchanted rock are awesome parks and i thought it'd be cool to hunt where i've taken the family so many times.

Comment

Working...
                                X