Rates as a "FREAK" in my book.

Comment

nice for sure

Comment

Awsome deer moose thingy

Comment

Originally posted by txdukklr View Post
                    I think it's a genetic impossibility.

Not sure what causes palmation but I would think the odds of a fallow/whitetail cross being successful in that way as being next to nothing.
                    Thanks, that is what I think as well. I was just wondering what leads to the palmation.

Comment

Originally posted by axisbuck24 View Post
                      Thanks, that is what I think as well. I was just wondering what leads to the palmation.
                      hope this helps Jo and others :

Antler abnormalities in white-tailed deer By Kip Adams, Quality Deer Management Association

In this article I'll discuss the causes of antler abnormalities and describe the effects each has on antlers. Abnormalities can be caused or influenced by an antler injury, a body injury, genetics or the animal's age.

Antler Injuries ..... Antlers can sustain injuries to the pedicle (base), main beam or tines (points). Pedicle injuries are often the result of a blow to the head and will affect the entire antler. Pedicle injuries cause the base and most or all of the antler to look deformed, while the opposite antler grows normally and shows no sign of an injury. Severe pedicle injuries may even stop antler growth completely. Main beam injuries occur during the growing season (obviously) and the degree of abnormality is determined by timing and location of the injury. Antlers with normal bases but deformed growth patterns/shapes and tines are caused by injuries during early growth. Injuries occurring later in growth affect less of the antler's "normal" shape unless the injury is low on the main beam. Injuries to main beams and tines are expressed only during the current year. The buck's next set of antlers typically don't show signs of the injury.

Body Injuries .... Body injuries caused by disease, vehicles, bullets, arrows, snakebite, and other unfortunate events can cause abnormal antler growth. Injuries to a front limb (foot, leg, shoulder) may affect the antler on the injured side, opposite side or both sides, but the antler on the injured side is typically most affected. Hind limb injuries usually affect the opposite antler. Body injuries can affect antler growth on both sides and may cause the antlers to stop growing entirely. Depending on location and severity of the injury, the abnormality may occur on just the current set of antlers or it may be carried throughout life. For example, a buck that sustains minor injuries to his right rear leg from a vehicle collision may have an abnormal left antler for one season. Another buck that loses his right rear foot to a bullet may have an abnormal left antler for the rest of his life.

Genetics & Age .... Genetics and animal age can also be responsible for abnormalities. We have all seen pictures of bucks with palmate antlers and points going in every direction. Within the past year, pictures of Goliath (a captive buck from PA) have been distributed via e-mail to millions of computers around the world. His abnormal antlers are caused by genetics and age, not by an injury. A buck's age plays a large role in the expression of non injury deformities. Bucks that are not nutritionally limited (and bucks from over populated herds often are) should increase the size of their antlers yearly until they reach maturity at 5-7 years of age. This is why drop tines and sticker points are much more common on older bucks.

Many abnormalities we see in the field are temporary in nature. An abnormal antler(s) should not be an excuse to harvest a young buck, particularly if the abnormality is injury related. If given the chance to grow another set of antlers, most bucks revert to their pre-injured form and grow a larger set in response to their advanced age. I know of one 3 ½ year old buck that injured his antlers early in growth and ended with 6 points on 2 deformed antlers. He scored far less than 100 Boone & Crockett points (probably closer to 50 B&C). The next year he was a symmetrical 10 point with a 21 inch inside spread and scored 145 B&C. It's amazing the difference a year can make.

Comment

Swamp Donkey! in chest waiters

Comment

sweet

Comment

Wow! Those are some real palmated antlers. Congrats to the hunter!

Comment

Louisana does it again WOW!!

Comment

I was in Jonesville, LA (Catahoula Parrish) hunting at the same time this deer was shot. Sure wish he would have come my way!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X