Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you bring if invited to friends Ranch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CJ776 View Post
    sweat equity, always help clean, cook/always offer to cook
    This right here. Ive been to leases where other guests are sitting around drinking beer. All they want to do is go hunt. Im helping out and busting tail. Ive been back and they have not.

On another note when I ask people to fish or to my place in the woods, the first time is on me. Ill usually say "nothing, or whatever you want to drink". If they bring food or something thats OK. If they bring corn or offer gas money thats OK also. However, dont expect the next 3 or 4 trips to be the same. I can promise there aint gonna be a 5th. Even if you screen shot your 'facebook memories' and send me a text saying....look its been 6 years since you took me fishin.

Gonna be that at least that much longer Pot-nahh!

Originally posted by Fishndude View Post
    Corn, timers, beer, food, chairs for stands, cushions for chairs in stands etc... Things I know they need.

Now, if I invite someone out to my place and they kill the biggest hog of their life? I expect them to at least give me a spare battery holder.

Might as well tell us who did that? But I feel like he's already posted here

Comment

Corn, timers, beer, food, chairs for stands, cushions for chairs in stands etc... Things I know they need.

Now, if I invite someone out to my place and they kill the biggest hog of their life? I expect them to at least give me a spare battery holder.

I have seen pics of some big hogs from your place that have been posted on here

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post

I have seen pics of some big hogs from your place that have been posted on here
        Lol. Ol’ Smarty knows I’m joking. He didn’t owe me anything. I took him cus He deserves a booooonuuussss!! . All an inside joke of course.

Comment

My standard show of thanks is ...

1) I drive the owner the 3.5 hours to the ranch.
          2) I plan, bring, prepare all food for lunch and dinner (steaks) for all.
          3) I bring an evening snack for all (cheese / meat tray, etc)
          4) I bring a cooler of beer, water, gatoraid for all.
          5) I pay a portion of the ranch house maid fee.
          6) Field dress all animals for owner.
          7) Quarter and cooler-prep anything not going to a processor.
          8) Expect to do a few hours of labor (grass cutting)
          9) Bring 4 bags of corn to bait (over and above current feeders in place).
          10) Trash bag and general floor sweeping duty.
          11) Take owners gun and confirm zero the week before the hunt. (not really an avid hunter)
          12) Spot shoot does, spikes, and low end culls only. (and hogs/turkey)
          13) Bring/prepare gear/tackle for any other planned events (fishing stock ponds, night shooting rabbit/predators)
          14) Buy lunch during the drives, food if in town, etc.
          15) Never over drink and be the guy setting the coffee pot in the morning.

This is in no way a complaint. I am honored to be invited onto a property 2-3 times per year that one could easily tag out any given weekend.

As a previous boat owner, I understand the cost of ownership. By extension I understand the running cost of such a place and what a 3 night hunt that you shoot 3 deer, 4 hogs, 2 turkey, 20 rabbit, catch largemouth bass and stay in an air conditioned lodge would cost. It is far less than the $4-500 bucks that I put out.

After years of having to ask someone to put down their beer to grab a rope when we got to a marina, so I could buy us beer..... I try to be better.
          Last edited by howabouttheiris; 07-16-2018, 07:03 AM.

Comment

Find new friends that are more appreciative!

Comment

Givers and Takers as mentioned before.
              Some Takers are worth the effort, you get to choose.
              I'm not above asking/telling someone what they need to bring if I know
              their history, ie. "You got water and beer Richard, for everybody, all weekend. OK?"
              If they are a "customer" then nothing expected, cept maybe some bidnis.
              Givers, most are a pleasure to have around.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                I've been known to bring steaks, BBQ, beer, whiskey, gifts, etc etc as a guest.

And when I have guests at the house and lease, I usually feed, house, clean and make sure they are well taken care of.

I guess you could say I'm a giver and not a taker as a guest and host . I've come across a lot of takers in my life but I enjoy the giver side of it. It can be a lot of **** work but it is what it is. All I expect is in return is a thank you and sadly you'd be surprised how many forget that...
                Amazing aint it? All of this applies to owning a house on a lake or the coast as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Sika View Post
                  If you’re the guest, be a considerate guest.
                  If you’re the host, make your guest feel welcome.
                  People really over-complicate these things.
                  Of course etiquette is a two way street but if you’re expecting something in return, it’s not really giving is it? Give with zero expectation of return and you’ll never be distressed waiting for your payment. You just give and be a happier person for it.

If the guest is a lot of trouble, just don’t invite them back. Or do, but mention that you could use some help cooking and cleaning. Make your expectations clear.
                  Pretty much nailed it, if I invite you out your expected to do nothing but enjoy the ride. I am going to be doing the work anyway whether your there or not and most times it is better for me if you just stay out of the way anyway. I invite you out because I enjoy your company so that is all I expect out of you. But I don't just invite anybody out either.

A real quick way to get off the guest list is to talk your self up and act like you know what your doing and then get out here and be a green horn. I have nothing against taking new guys out or introducing people to hunting, but if I ask you to come coyote calling and I am having to spot and kill everything or stuff is being educated in my primo spots I am going to be agitated if the expectation was for you to be able to function and kill stuff. If your new and need help I will set things up in your favor and help you out and my patience level is going to be geared towards that, but I can only do so much with the info you give me and it will just frustrate both of us.

Comment

Not being picky at all. If I was to b invited like that I would gladly help out anyway I could. Just respectful in my book. My even get me invited back again. Any one that didn't want to help out and pitch in and expect everything done for them would definitely NOT b invited back.

Comment

Dp
                      Last edited by Smart; 07-16-2018, 08:58 AM.

Comment

It's pretty simple.

If someone offers you an invite to their place and they never offer you an invite back its your fault.

We have a good time at our place. But there have been good friends of mine that don't get invited anymore. I am still good friends with all of them. They figured it out.

Comment

Originally posted by .243 WSSM View Post
                          When Clay peed the bed full of Zima did he offer to get a new mattress or try to cover it up with turkey feathers? [emoji6]b

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]. ... thank God Zima is clear and he left his Jolly Ranchers at home.

Seriously though ClayW and PoPo are incredibly grateful guests. Fun having them out.
                          Last edited by Smart; 07-16-2018, 08:55 AM.

Comment

Lol. Ol’ Smarty knows I’m joking. He didn’t owe me anything. I took him cus He deserves a booooonuuussss!! . All an inside joke of course.

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

You *****[emoji23][emoji23]
                            Last edited by Smart; 07-16-2018, 08:56 AM.

Comment

When I’m invited somewhere I buy/split groceries, offer to drive or fuel up the truck atleast once, and bring corn/protein/sweet feed. I try to work more than I hunt and clean up the best I can. If anyone shoots a animal I clean them as well

Comment

If I get invited I try to bring something for them even if just bringing food to cook, such as steak, drinks, chips etc anything that I can cook or help them with so I don’t show up empty handed and eat all their groceries so to speak. I’ve also brought supplies if I know they’re in need of something specific. Mainly try to bring more than I’ll consume and something they will enjoy
                                When people come to my place I don’t expect much from them except to be helpful, it’s always a great thing if they bring something but not a requirement.
                                One thing that’s always great is when the guest give a Thank You for the stay.
                                I think that gets them farther and and usually can earn them a invite back

Comment

Working...
                                X