Trees?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trees?

My parents bought some property in Madisonville about 7 months ago and I am starting to think about the future of the property and improvements that we can make to help the deer in the long run.

Question

1) how much am I looking at for some white oaks in the five gallon range. (is this the size to buy?)

2) Is this the go to for oak trees as far as planting with deer in mind?

3) Where is the best place to get them?

Thanks for the help

Before I spent alot of money on oaks I would get the soil tested. I know that water oaks do well in that area.

Comment

Can't answer any of your 3 questions. But if you do spend the money on the trees, I would highly recommend that you put cages/fencing around them for protection. Apparently, the deer will think you planted them just so they will have a nice place to rub their antlers.
      If they rub the bark off all the way around, the tree will die, at least from there up. It may or may not sprout again lower or from the root ball.
      Ask me how I know.
      Also, the extention agent for my area was very helpful in recommending the types of trees that will do well here.
      Good luck to you.

Comment

Check out Dustin Chestnuts for that part of Texas.

Comment

Mossy oak has a nursery called native nurseries. Specializes in oaks and wildlife trees. Supposedly they select trees that are naturally fast growing.
          I bought 24 oaks with protective tree tubes for about $250 shipped. I went with the mixed package to see which would grow the best as well as to just have variety. These trees come bare root and about 18" tall. Videoes show trees reaching 6ft tall in one year if maintained correctly.

Sawtooth oaks are popular as they can start producng in 6 years if pruned and taken care of. Most other oaks take 15-20 years. I plan to buy 24 sawtooths next year as well as 24 of other types.

Comment

I would pick acorns from heavy producing white oaks or water oaks in your area and plant multiple acorns in each cage at the place so some can die any you haven't lost time (least amount of time and energy investment). That way there is not transplant shock. You could also plant acorn in tall pots so you have long taps roots then plant in cages in the fall. If you are gonna buy trees find a nursery near you that has oaks from your area. The problem with buying trees is that they are usually grown getting water daily, become root bound, then you plant at your ranch and they need water weekly which is tough to do. The size of the tree is usually disproportionate to the size of the tap root they have so you are fighting a losing battle. Fertilizing saplings with polygon fertilizer each yr after established will do wonders but only fertilize in winter/ spring not summer unless you can water.

Comment

Get chinkapin oaks, white oak family, fast growing produce acorns fast as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Doe Doe Spike View Post
                I would pick acorns from heavy producing white oaks or water oaks in your area and plant multiple acorns in each cage at the place so some can die any you haven't lost time (least amount of time and energy investment). That way there is not transplant shock. You could also plant acorn in tall pots so you have long taps roots then plant in cages in the fall. If you are gonna buy trees find a nursery near you that has oaks from your area. The problem with buying trees is that they are usually grown getting water daily, become root bound, then you plant at your ranch and they need water weekly which is tough to do. The size of the tree is usually disproportionate to the size of the tap root they have so you are fighting a losing battle. Fertilizing saplings with polygon fertilizer each yr after established will do wonders but only fertilize in winter/ spring not summer unless you can water.
                I planted acorns from the live oaks in my front yard 18 years ago. They are now bigger than the transplanted oaks the builder put in front (their parents) they are close to 25-30ft tall.

Comment

Originally posted by Wits_End View Post
                  Mossy oak has a nursery called native nurseries. Specializes in oaks and wildlife trees. Supposedly they select trees that are naturally fast growing.
                  I bought 24 oaks with protective tree tubes for about $250 shipped. I went with the mixed package to see which would grow the best as well as to just have variety. These trees come bare root and about 18" tall. Videoes show trees reaching 6ft tall in one year if maintained correctly.

Sawtooth oaks are popular as they can start producng in 6 years if pruned and taken care of. Most other oaks take 15-20 years. I plan to buy 24 sawtooths next year as well as 24 of other types.
                  Both live oak and water oak produce early as well. Both are white oak family so the produce every year and deer hammer them.

Comment

Originally posted by bukkskin View Post
                    Can't answer any of your 3 questions. But if you do spend the money on the trees, I would highly recommend that you put cages/fencing around them for protection. Apparently, the deer will think you planted them just so they will have a nice place to rub their antlers.
                    If they rub the bark off all the way around, the tree will die, at least from there up. It may or may not sprout again lower or from the root ball.
                    Ask me how I know.
                    Also, the extention agent for my area was very helpful in recommending the types of trees that will do well here.
                    Good luck to you.

This and plant at least two dozen.
                    But the cages (or those tubes) are great insurance that the deer won't get them
                    And do proper weed maintenance
                    Clear a 5x5 area completely free from weeds/grasses of where you want to plant your tree then use that black fabric weed mat and a few inches of mulch on top of the mat in order to keep weeds from robbing your tree of nutrients.

Comment

Originally posted by npe001 View Post
                      My parents bought some property in Madisonville about 7 months ago and I am starting to think about the future of the property and improvements that we can make to help the deer in the long run.

Question

1) how much am I looking at for some white oaks in the five gallon range. (is this the size to buy?)

2) Is this the go to for oak trees as far as planting with deer in mind?

3) Where is the best place to get them?

Thanks for the help

There's a guy on here in the classifieds selling a bunch of oaks.
                      Real good deal.
                      I think he's in the Vidor/Orange area but he travels and delivers all over Texas.

Check him out

Comment

I have a few water oak varieties I planted about 16 years ago in the Sam Rayburn lake area. The tallest one is about 25' at this time. There isn't allot of live oaks in the area is the reason I planted them. I guy up the road from me planted a variety called bur oak I believe and his has out grown mine by leaps and bounds.

Comment

Originally posted by Outbreaker View Post
                          Both live oak and water oak produce early as well. Both are white oak family so the produce every year and deer hammer them.
                          I have always read 20 years minimum on these.

Comment

Originally posted by Wits_End View Post
                            I have always read 20 years minimum on these.
                            Nope. My live oaks in my back yard are 18ys old and have been producing for over 10 years and my neighbors water oak is about 15 years has been producing for almost 10 years.

The amount of acorns WILL depend on the size of the tree. When the small ones start it will be just a few. Now my 18yo 25-30 foot trees flood the ground with so many acorns it makes it painful to walk.

Comment

Great to know. I planted 6 water oaks

Comment

Working...
                              X