Hunting Accuracy/Proficiency ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DRT View Post
    I'm pretty sure you could get close to a perfect score Rick.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk
    Nope. Not at the moment anyway.
    You have to spend a lot more time shooting than what I do to be that accurate with a stickbow.

Rick

Comment

I agree with Bisch. My self want a deer inside of 16 yards. 10 to 12 would be nice. Not that I can't make a 20 yard shot on a paper plate but a deer moves faster.

Comment

I can and did. 73 with one miss.

Comment

Originally posted by KenWood View Post
          I can and did. 73 with one miss.

Good job.

Rick

Comment

Originally posted by RickBarbee View Post
            Um, compound much?

We're talking stickbows here, but tennis ball accuracy at 20 & beyond is quite good for anyone.

Rick
            I shoot a compound too, but I have an old Red Wing Hunter that I play with from time to time. Been awhile though, and I couldn't keep them all in a wagon wheel at 15 yd. right now.

Comment

Like I said from pretty much the onset of this discussion - I am not an advocate/proponent of government mandated proficiency testing.

What I am a proponent of is - Getting folks to really take a look at their shooting ability, be honest with themselves, and choose to hunt within their ability of confident accuracy. That's it in a nutshell.

Rick

Comment

Personally, I am not satisfied with 9" at 20 yards. If that is what I am shooting I am in real need of some work.

Comment

80 with the penalty for missing the last shot . I still wouldn’t shoot at a whitetail that far.

Comment

20 at 20 within 9". Hmmmm.... no I do not think that is a fair assessment of hunting ability. At least for me. For one I hate shooting that far, I'm much happier at 12-15 and stupidly happy at <10. Although I do think it'd make a great shot challenge for next week. I mean all the heavy hitters on here are already shooting it just for fun.

Richard.

Comment

So, take the test at your comfortable distance, and see how suited you are by it.

Rick

Comment

So, take the test at your comfortable distance, and see how suited you are by it.

Rick
                        Give me a day or two and I will. Been working this week. By the time I get home it's too late.

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
                          Give me a day or two and I will. Been working this week. By the time I get home it's too late.

Do it Gary, and I don't expect you, or anyone else to even share their result.
                          It's you & you alone who you need to convince/please. The rest of us don't matter.

Rick

Comment

I'm gonna try it this afternoon out of curiosity if I have time. My score won't be nearly as good as some but now y'all have me wondering!!

Comment

Like I said from pretty much the onset of this discussion - I am not an advocate/proponent of government mandated proficiency testing.

What I am a proponent of is - Getting folks to really take a look at their shooting ability, be honest with themselves, and choose to hunt within their ability of confident accuracy. That's it in a nutshell.

Rick
                              That is the tough one right there.
                              Through the years I had a lot of bow hunters pass through my farm.
                              I always tried to get them to shoot with me when they got there for 2 reasons.
                              One, I enjoy shooting.
                              The second was to see what I had to work with because I always wanted folks to be successful.

I have wondered to myself on several occasions what they were thinking when they booked a hunt.

I have had folks show up that had traveled from way off, plane tickets rent cars and could not hit anything at 10 yards. This was Compound and Trad guys. In all those years only one was so poor that I told him he had top use a rifle. Most we worked with and put a lot of faith in Bagley to sort it out for us.

My pet peeve is Trad guys who shoot poorly but crow about they are taking the higher road by using a Longbow and not "Training Wheels"

That one makes the hair stand up on my neck.

A man really needs to be able to know "I can make that shot" when he is at full draw, not just turn a arrow loose and hope for the best.

Or keep a really good dog handy

Comment

Rick, thanks for coming up with a challenge that was fun and one that should make trad archers differentiate between a doable shot and an ethical shot. I passed the test but I still won't shoot a a Texas whitetail at that distance because my experience has shown me that the arrow may be on the correct path but the deer has moved a lot in reaction to the shot. Just like some animals have larger vitals than others, some animals are not as prone to "jumping the string". I would stretch out the distance on a mule deer or elk because of bigger vitals and my experience being they are not wound up as tight as our deer. As traditional bowhunters we have to remember that we chose to make harvesting an animal more challenging and accept the limitations of our equipment.

Comment

Working...
                                X