No announcement yet.

Official Lake Whitney And Aquilla 2017-2018 Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well I finally made it out to scout midday today. Found a big latter stand about 75 yards from one of the trees I climb. Hope they shoot a big one.

Comment

If Buckshot is coming, I ain't. Thats uncalled for.

Comment

Originally posted by Razorback01 View Post
        If Buckshot is coming, I ain't. Thats uncalled for.

[emoji51][emoji41][emoji33]

And to think, I was gonna have a friend set up his table...

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
          Well, that was pretty easy to figure out.

You've got a longer walk back to your trailer brother. And ya ain't really that much closer to the restrooms either.

But,, I have electricity to run my necessary items

Comment

I will be hunting near Lake Whitney this year for the first time and will likely be hunting some Whitney COE land by the end of the season. I have some bucks on camera and am trying to judge their spread but am unfamiliar with deer in this area.

From ear tip to ear tip, what would you average the distance on an 3-5 year old Whitney area buck?

Thanks.

Comment

I will be hunting near Lake Whitney this year for the first time and will likely be hunting some Whitney COE land by the end of the season. I have some bucks on camera and am trying to judge their spread but am unfamiliar with deer in this area.

From ear tip to ear tip, what would you average the distance on an 3-5 year old Whitney area buck?

Thanks.

Comment

Per TP&W guessament as to judging deer antler width in the field, it should be about 13. Which is supposed to be outside the ear tips when in the alert position". (That is not always true). Please refer to the field guide for more info on judging antler width.

This area is not much different than any other part of the state. I generally keep a very simple rule, "if your wondering if a deer is close to 13", don't shoot it. Shoot one you have no doubt that it is greater than 13". That should keep me or anyone else from getting a fine . So why bother to take a chance on a buck that is close to 13" on a guess, only to find out it is 12-7/8"?
                Last edited by Texas Grown; 09-17-2017, 12:16 AM.

Comment

It's dark out here.

Comment

Any pics this morning Storm?

Comment

No just there long enough to do some stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by courtstamper View Post

Thanks.
                        Not sure what the average width for a 3-5 year old would be. I know they can vary from about 10" to 22". I'd follow TG's advice on keeping legal.

I know one buck I've been watching for 5 years. He's about 11" wide and still a six point. He hasn't been legal yet. A friend shot a 3 year old that was 22" inside.

Comment

Storm, I plan on being there. What do I need to bring?

Comment

Originally posted by coop View Post
                            Storm, I plan on being there. What do I need to bring?
                            Just bring ya something to sit on, I think I got the rest covered.

Comment

Good luck to everyone this year! I'm focusing my time to hunting Nebraska and Missouri for a week each this year. I might try a few weekends in Whitney this year if I can find the time to get down there between stock show season. Good luck and happy hunting!

Comment

The best to ya up north Will!

Comment

Working...
                                X