X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow, that is some neat stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I found this beat up point while field walking Leon River bottom last week. Ground base, parallel flaking, and looks to have flakes removed. Paleo I'm thinking.

Any thoughts or comments are appreciated.

Hogboy

Click image for larger version

Name:	paleo maybe 2m.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	24604638

Comment

Originally posted by Stoof View Post
        Not arrow heads. We spent the last week on a big azz ranch outside of Faywood NM and the landowners let us keep surface finds from a Mimbres camp. This picture picture shows a strong tie to Texas

Those are some cool pieces. One of my brothers found a complete pitcher minus the missing piece at the top back in 96-7.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhogboy View Post
          I found this beat up point while field walking Leon River bottom last week. Ground base, parallel flaking, and looks to have flakes removed. Paleo I'm thinking.

Any thoughts or comments are appreciated.

Hogboy

[ATTACH]987443[/ATTACH]
          Show us some more pics of that one. Both sides and a coin for scale? Definately paleo.

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
            Show us some more pics of that one. Both sides and a coin for scale? Definately paleo.
            I will try to get some good closeups. It looks like parallel oblique flaking. Here is a pic for scale.

Name:	paleo scale 2m.jpg
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	24604650

The other finds.

Name:	Jan6 west end 2m.jpg
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	24604649

Comment

See if these are any better Steve and thanks for your input.

Name:	Paleo side 2 2m.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	24604655

Name:	Paleo side 1 2m.jpg
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	24604652

Name:	Side 1.jpg
Size:	117.4 KB
ID:	24604653

Name:	Side 2.jpg
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	24604654

Comment

That is an interesting and very old point. Flaking may be saint Mary's hall. Base is a little wide for the type though. Could possibly be Clovis but I would lean toward a slightly younger type.

Comment

Most of the fragments are older stuff too. The rounded base point in an axtell. Books list them as archaic but I dig them concurrent to Golondrina.

The stemmed point is wells and early to middle archaic. The tools mostly look paleo as does the broken biface by the ruler. Are the tools uniface?

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
                    Most of the fragments are older stuff too. The rounded base point in an axtell. Books list them as archaic but I dig them concurrent to Golondrina.

The stemmed point is wells and early to middle archaic. The tools mostly look paleo as does the broken biface by the ruler. Are the tools uniface?
                    The 2 top left are uniface.

Another question. Do you think the 3 broke bases on the top left could be angostura?

Name:	Broke bases 2m.jpg
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	24604673

Comment

The first one may be a Coryell base. The other two likely angostura. Old camp you are on.

Comment

Found in LaSalle County all from same 20 square yard area.

Comment

Found this in 1985, while digging a trench on my parents property, in about 3ft of dirt. Located in Bremond, Robertson County, Texas. Fairly close to Waco, but about 50 miles north of Bryan-College Station. For size reference, it is about 1.25" x 3"

Can anyone tell me, opinion on tribe, time period, etc.?
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by Jewalston; 01-12-2020, 12:27 AM.

Comment

Paleo drill

I picked up this drill when we were field walking in the same area as my post a couple of weeks ago, Leon River bottom. The rain made it grow.

This is in a pretty heavily plowed field, so I was shocked by the good condition. Similar basal thinning as the St. Marys type point previously posted, you can tell this thing was hafted on a stick for awhile. The base has a polished feel to it.

Name:	paleo drill side 1 tbh.jpg
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	24605504

Name:	paleo drill side 2 tbh.jpg
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	24605505

Point from 2 weeks ago.

Name:	Paleo side 1 2m.jpg
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	24605507

Name:	Paleo side 2 2m.jpg
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	24605506

Comment

Sweet drill. Really a worn down projectile point. Feels great to know you are the first man to hold that in 11000 years . good old site you have.

Comment

i posted a pic of this head with a broken tip in 2016, since then i have walked this spot over a billion times, every time i go to the lease and every day i've been there, i look for the tip to this head. i have even dug around a little, i have never found another head or the tip. Two weeks ago i was at the lease and walked over to the area and there it was, just laying there! i knew what it was as soon as i seen it! that's just the craziest thing !!!
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X