Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shooting a deer that's already been shot...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree with all you guys.

Now take my avatar buck. I made a bad shot and he walked away, off of my property and literally right by my neighbors stand. He wasn't there, but had he been, and had he shot the buck, what now? For arguments sake, we will say it was right before dark when he passed the neighbor, and maybe 500y from my stand, I shot him at 515p.

Comment

Originally posted by jshouse View Post
      I agree with all you guys.

Now take my avatar buck. I made a bad shot and he walked away, off of my property and literally right by my neighbors stand. He wasn't there, but had he been, and had he shot the buck, what now? For arguments sake, we will say it was right before dark when he passed the neighbor, and maybe 500y from my stand, I shot him at 515p.
      Neighbors deer unless he agreed to let you have it.

Comment

If your buddy shoots a buck and it comes by you 30min later and you shoot it I would say it goes to the buddy (assuming a shot that would eventually kill it)

Buddy shoots a big buck and 2 weeks later it comes by you, sorry for your bad luck buddy

Seems like Waddell and T-Bone shot the same deer a few years ago on a show, less than hour apart

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
          The person who KILLS the deer is who it belongs to.

And yes. If there was a wounded deer that was suffering I would put it down. No question about it.
          This!

Comment

If you know who shot it originally and you *don't want the deer* but put it down solely to end it's suffering then I would expect the original shooter to take it off your hands as he obviously did think it was good enough to shoot. If you do want the deer then it's clearly yours as others have said since you killed it.

Comment

Bang bang skeet skeet, tag tag

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Comment

Funny who shot it story..

Many moons ago stalked a very big boar as he walked down a creek bed and bellied up into a wallow, I sent one through him and watched him run spurting blood .

30 minutes later I took up the track, following a good blood trail. After a few hundred yards I was wondering how he was still walking with all the blood loss.

Then my phone rings and the sun is all but gone, a buddy of mine says he had a huge spotted boar walk past his stand and he smoked him! I said Hells yeah!! Bro, I hammered one also and tracking him toward you but I'm still quarter mile away.

He climbed down and began tracking the monster...before long I could see a light in the brush and we pretty much tracked a blood trail to each other. We had a hell of a laugh and followed the blood trail to his stand and the boar had ran the opposite direction he though. 30 yards into the brush past his stand is where we found him..

Moral of the story... I was pretty dang happy for him, and it isn't yours till ya kill it.

Comment

what if its injured and doesn't make AR

Comment

Years ago talking to biologist in Iowa he said many times broadheads are found in shoulders of perfectly healthy appearing deer. Deer there are so big that sometimes the arrows don't penetrate if hit in shoulder and heals over. This came up after my buddy shot one and arrow went in about an inch or 2 at shoulder, wasn't where he was wanting to put it.....

Comment

Funny timing on this thread. I had a buck come in yesterday evening within bow range that had been wounded by a neighboring property. Still had the arrow sticking out of him. Shot was high above the front shoulder almost into the back and appeared to have been made at a hard quartering away angle. The arrow had made very little penetration and the buck appeared to be doing just fine. He hung around and ate corn for 20+min.

I struggled with the decision to shoot or not. On one hand, the buck appeared to me to be a younger deer with lots of potential a couple years down the road if he lived. I saw him out of bow range 4 days ago in the same condition with arrow in him and appearing to still be healthy. On the other hand, he did have an arrow in him, although just a meat wound, but an open wound with the potential for infection nonetheless. I wasn’t thrilled at the idea of leaving a wounded deer in the pasture but ultimately I chose not to shoot. I will cross my fingers that he makes it and the wound does not damage antler growth.

What would y’all have done? Just curious. I will try to post a pic of buck with wound.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

If it's alive and I want it I shoot. If it's alive and looking horrible and suffering and not one I want, I put it down and walk, that's the honest answer for me. If looking bad I wouldn't want the meat if deer is septic.

Comment

Originally posted by SoggyBottomAg View Post
                          Funny timing on this thread. I had a buck come in yesterday evening within bow range that had been wounded by a neighboring property. Still had the arrow sticking out of him. Shot was high above the front shoulder almost into the back and appeared to have been made at a hard quartering away angle. The arrow had made very little penetration and the buck appeared to be doing just fine. He hung around and ate corn for 20+min.

I struggled with the decision to shoot or not. On one hand, the buck appeared to me to be a younger deer with lots of potential a couple years down the road if he lived. I saw him out of bow range 4 days ago in the same condition with arrow in him and appearing to still be healthy. On the other hand, he did have an arrow in him, although just a meat wound, but an open wound with the potential for infection nonetheless. I wasn’t thrilled at the idea of leaving a wounded deer in the pasture but ultimately I chose not to shoot. I will cross my fingers that he makes it and the wound does not damage antler growth.

What would y’all have done? Just curious. I will try to post a pic of buck with wound.

I think that is a very survivable wound.

Comment

Originally posted by SoggyBottomAg View Post

Well I got a call last night from one neighbor saying he saw the buck another neighbor had shot a few weeks ago and that he wasn't doing well. My place is right in between theirs and I had this guy on camera a lot so figured my chances of seeing him are decent.

I didn't want to shoot him this year, wanted to see what all those splits might do next year, but here he is...

Comment

I’m with everyone else, whoever kills it claims it. Exception would be someone hunting the same piece of property, making something like a single lung or liver shot, and an hour or so later it running by you during the same hunt. You don’t owe it to them to give it up, but I probably would. If it was on the parcel next door and shot in the ham, too bad so sad.

Yes I would shoot a wounded deer to put them out of their misery. Do you guys only get 1-2 tags or are you talking about lease rules? Not killing a deer that’s clearly suffering because you want to see if they might grow bigger isn’t good stewardship IMO. Hard to say what I’d do if it was just a mild wound that might have been from fighting, a bullet zipping through the brisket, etc.
                              Last edited by gatorgrizz27; 01-03-2020, 04:54 PM.

Comment

I'm not sure I, or anyone here, ever said I wouldn't shoot a deer that was suffering.

I was more curious as to what you guys would do with it if you were the 2nd one to shoot. Guess it depends on how well you like the original shooter...

Comment

Working...
                                X