Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do u go about telling a parent she cannot drive anyore due to safety reasons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by friscopaint View Post
    Daddy got out of hospital and we took it away, wasn't there when he got home and we told him no more driving. No nice way, sadly you become the parent.
    ^^^This

No excuse with Uber, lyft, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by CEO View Post
      Plot twist. Paw Paw was in his late 50's and a great driver. You just wanted his truck
      Paw paw almost put the truck INSIDE the drug store. He hit it pretty hard but thankfully it was brick. Thankfully no one was walking in front of his truck. My paw paw never learned to drive an automatic. His trucks came equipped with a standard transmission, no radio, no AC and no electric anything. Wasn't many people dying to have his truck. He had two trucks in his life. That last was was a 1990 and we got it away from him in 2005ish. It had about 25,000 miles on it. I took it and sold it to a less fortunate soul for 400 bux. Oh, and he was in his early 90s

Comment

It sure makes it easier if the Dr. says she shouldn't drive. Then he is the bad guy.

Peggy got confused going through the cones in a construction zone. She stopped in traffic and a truck hit her from behind. She knew she stopped and couldn't figure out why they said it was a moving violation.

Comment

Following, my dad scares the crap outta me and wife.

Comment

My dad? Not a chance..My mom? Possibly..I can hear my dad telling me to kick rocks,and pound sand..I can hear my mother saying the first time you don't show up I'm outta here..They're both in their mid 70's..Cyndi's mom,she'd be cool with it.Her dad,not a chance.He's 80yrs old.Took me out Thanksgiving Day to show me how much power his new Chevy 6.2 gasser had..Half froze road in North Iowa.He didn't give a f...lol

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
              This. I would be ****** if someone just took my keys. But if they come to me and make me receptive to their message, I would be much more likely to give up my keys.

Good Luck OP, getting old is fun for no one.
              Problem is that wife elderly patients( many with cognitive issues), they don’t process reasoning like you do. Many times, you can’t have rational conversations.

Comment

Thanks to all, it will be a fight but we will not bring ut up until after Christmas when returns home.

Again thank you.

Manny

Comment

My wife worked for a car dealership and she got a call one day from a customer inquiring about when his vehicle would be ready. Long story short, kids took the car away from the father and told him they took it to the dealership to be serviced. They told service writer to put notes in file that if he were to ever call up there, to just say that they are waiting on parts to fix and that it would be ready in a few weeks. He always accepted the answer and would call back again a month later with the same result.

Comment

Originally posted by Duckologist View Post
                    My paw paw wasn't havin it. Didn't care about other people. He was an old hard keester. So we disabled his truck. Told him it was busted and it would cost too much to fix. He hated spending money. Maw maw convinced him to give it to me to get it out of their yard lol. So me and friend went over and towed away from the house and then cranked her up and drove it off.

Nice work

Comment

I followed my mother and grandmother home one day from another family members house.
                      Gmom drove and thank god we were on a very lightly used road. She literally spent more time on the wrong side of the road than on the correct side. Over hills, around turns even so dar as to several times kick up rocks and grass. When we got to my mothers I had words. After that my brother drove her everywhere

Comment

sounds like a tough situation. prayers for ya bud seems like there is some solid advise on here though good luck!

Comment

Mom gave up her keys when she jumped the curb and plowed into the brick store front she was wanting to go to! More times than not they know, I can't blame them for being stubborn, I get a bit perturbed when my boys override my better judgement and insist on doing something for me!

Comment

It is especially tough when early-onset dementia is involved. We reached that point with my dad when he got lost coming home from a store 5 miles away he had been going to for 30 years. (only 64 at the time) He was indignant and argued like crazy when we told him he couldn't drive - of course he had already forgotten about getting lost. My mom still had to drive so we sold one car and I installed a hidden kill switch on the other. For the next few years until he went to a nursing facility, every time they walked out to the car he tried to get in the drivers seat and mom would explain he can't drive and the argument started all over again.
                            Last edited by jerp; 12-19-2019, 03:41 PM.

Comment

it is difficult but the best way to do it is lovingly but direct.

Comment

My mom is in the beginning or showing signs of Dementia. It's a strange illness. Luckily she doesn't want to drive. Her and my dad are 86. He drives her where ever she needs to go. To us it's not about hurting her self driving If she wanted to drive. It is but it's secondary to her hurting others that's the real concern for us. We couldn't live with that and she couldn't either. After we talked with her in that direction she was totally on board.
                                I hope your situation goes well.
                                It's strange having grandkids we care for and elderly parents that are basically the same.

Comment

Working...
                                X