Golf Cart Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Golf Cart Build

Decided to ditch the ATV this year and picked up a golf cart in its place. All internals seem to be stock and overall the cart looks good.

Since I can’t leave well enough alone I’ve decided to start upgrading! I’ll be documenting my build here as I go along.

Before

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by stxhunter; 11-07-2019, 02:18 PM.

Looks clean. As does the shop.

Comment

On 23” tires the cart tops out at about 19mph.

Wanting more power I’ve decided to add a 400amp alltrax controller, Admiral A2 10hp motor, and HD solenoid.

Started by trying to remove the rear of the cart, but that quickly seemed like a lot of work! After doing some reading, decided to drop the rear axle and get to the motor that way while waiting for the controller to show up.

Comment

While under the cart I noticed the rear springs didn’t look like they had much life in them so decided to pull them off. While there I took a look at the shocks, they could be compressed with one finger!

I’ve been tossing around the idea of a 4 link setup in the rear, but for now I’m going with HD springs.

Comment

Nice
          There's one I built on here somewhere

Comment

Following

Comment

Originally posted by DirtyDave View Post
              Nice
              There's one I built on here somewhere

Nice, may have to bounce some ideas off you as I go along.

Comment

I'm in.

Comment

Motor and controller just got here. Will be waiting on the springs to get it installed.

Comment

following

Comment

Looking like a cool build in the works.

Comment

You'll love that controller & motor setup. I took an already semi-built cart and did the same thing you are doing. Going in I had minimal knowledge of DC electricity and had a ton of fun with the build. What I figured out in the end as far, as power is concerned, is that no matter how many electrical upgrades I did my biggest limiting factor was always going to be weight (rolling resistance), which you can't avoid unless you have lithium batteries (do-able, but expensive). I had a heavy duty steel winch bumper that I didn't really need and my "clays basket" was also heavy duty steel.

Here are my suggested upgrades:
                        • 2g cable set for battery & motor. Add digital volt meter so you don't run your lead acid batteries down below 70% S.O.C.
                        • HD reversing contactor solenoid - done
                        • Alltrax controller - done
                        • I fed 42 volts to a 36v motor and got much more torque and top speed
                        • 8 ply tires - I didn't do this but I highly suggest it. Doesn't take much time for a golf cart tire to go completely flat.
                        • Red led light strips in the cubby holes & floor boards (golf carts aren't made to drive at night ). This is the cheapest and most functional upgrade I did.
                        • Red LED light pods for driving around the farm at night. Enter SUPER STEALTH MODE!! Crazy how many critters you'll see in an electric cart with red lights at night. If you want a white LED bar, you can find some on amazon that have a voltage range of like 12v-72v so you can hook it straight up to your battery pack and get way more power out of it, and won't have to add extra weight of an extra 12v auxiliary battery.
                          * If you hunt/drive in the woods, take the top off. It doesn't provide that much shade, nor provide much protection from the rain and I promise you it will catch every.single.dang.limb.
                        Last edited by offthemap; 11-08-2019, 08:58 AM.

Comment

The other upgrade I wanted to do but never did due to price is add disc brakes.

Comment

Golf Cart Build

Nice list!

Actually have a few of those things I’ll be adding for sure!

Hint: depending on budget, one MAY be lighter batteries sometime next year...

Should be getting mid 20s with the motor/controller setup. On the ranch rarely ever did more than 10-15 on my ATV, so that’ll be plenty of speed.

Last edited by stxhunter; 11-08-2019, 11:21 AM.

Comment

Springs have arrived

Comment

Working...
                              X