Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TxAg View Post
    Well,...Dances With Wolves was pretty slooooow
    Agree. I loved that movie as a youngster. I watched it again years later and wasn't impressed.

Comment

I want to see it, however, if Ryan Bingham sings in it, not so much. Fingernails on a chalkboard.

Comment

Went to see it first night it was available. Is my take crazy?

My conclusion was they took a promising story and turned it into another politicized Hollywood social statement. White men portrayed as ridiculous heartless haters of victimized Indians made hostile by unjust white men.

The old white ranch owner and his sons attacking the protagonist, the widow, and the family of the dead Indian chief at the end was so ridiculous and unlikely it gave their entire agenda away.

More of the same Hollywood narrative of portrayals of unjust white "supremacy".
        Last edited by Pineywoods Paul; 01-28-2018, 01:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pineywoods Paul View Post
          Went to see it first night it was available. Is my take crazy?

My conclusion was they took a promising story and turned it into another politicized Hollywood social statement. White men portrayed as ridiculous heartless haters of victimized Indians made hostile by unjust white men.

The old white ranch owner and his sons attacking the protagonist, the widow, and the family of the dead Indian chief at the end was so ridiculous and unlikely it gave their entire agenda away.

More of the same Hollywood narrative of portrayals of unjust white "supremacy".
          This is actually about what I expected from the movie

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie View Post
            Yes it was very good. Jeff Daniels did a great job playing the bad guy.
            He freakin' NAILED it!

Comment

Saw it this afternoon. Just okay for me. Not trying to break it down or read too much into it. Kinda slow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Saw it today, slow and not really what I considere a western. Save your $$

Comment

Sounds like this movie got" Hollywooded", were there at least some parts that were historically accurate? For instance, Dances With Wolves was a stretch stories line wise, but there were a lot of elements to the movie that were amazing. Anything like that in Hostiles?

Comment

Wife and I went and watched in last night. We both liked it a lot. Not sure that I would classify it as a western.

Yes, the movie was slow. The movie is about an army captain taking a dying indian chief and his family from New Mexico to Montana on horseback. So yeah, I would think slow would kinda be expected.

There is a lot of death.

A few folks here called it hollywooded or having a liberal slant. I didn't quite see it that way. If you only look at the ending scene with the old man rancher and his sons, yeah I guess I could see that, because that one scene does come across that way. But the movie as a whole, it doesn't necessarily portray the white man or the Indians as the good guys or bad guys. It sorta plays both sides equally. Both sides were hostiles. It shows that in the end, both sides made their mistakes. It's just straight up brutal and probably shows what people endured during the time.

For those that saw it, did you realize that the Colonel that gave Bale the orders to take the chief up to Montana was the same guy who played Ike Clanton in Tombstone? And Bale's bearded buddy also played the long haired stoner Slater in Dazed and Confused.
                    Last edited by Grizz83; 01-29-2018, 11:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Grizz83 View Post

For those that saw it, did you realize that the Colonel that gave Bale the orders to take the chief up to Montana was the same guy who played Ike Clanton in Tombstone? And Bale's bearded buddy also played the long haired stoner Slater in Dazed and Confused.

Haaa! I knew I recognized both of them but couldn’t place where. Thanks for clearing that up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Also the replacement sergeant from the second outpost who played the guitar was Ryan Bingham

Comment

Went this saturday night it was a good un

Comment

well I just have to say I thought it was a great movie action packed good and easy to follow has a good ending don't know how it could have been any better

Comment

Reviews are all over the board on this thread

Comment

Originally posted by barnett77859 View Post
                                well I just have to say I thought it was a great movie action packed good and easy to follow has a good ending don't know how it could have been any better
                                We seen this movie yesterday and I have to agree with the above statement. It was a great movie!

Comment

Working...
                                X