Non-feeder deer movement - East Texas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Non-feeder deer movement - East Texas

Sort of a survey. Last year was my fist year to put out a trail camera. I had mine in different three areas. First on an early scrape just before the season, next a branch crossing, and last another scrape. Had bucks of various sizes at all. However, I had 3 good bucks during the day and many others at night on Nov 22nd and 23th. A biologist in the area said that Nov 21 and 22 was the peak of the East Texas rut.

My question to everyone is did you see an increase in buck movement on your cameras at this time compared to other dates? This would be for cameras set up on scrapes, trails and such, not on feeders. Just curious. My cousin checked and he noticed the same flurry of activity on these two days.

Also testing a theory we have and I will share if the results match.

How far east? We hunt near Lovelady and the rut is usually right around or after Halloween, every year.

Comment

Originally posted by HoustonHunter View Post
      How far east? We hunt near Lovelady and the rut is usually right around or after Halloween, every year.
      Same in Angelina county close to Zavalla. Youth Season through opening day of gun season it's on fire!

Comment

Originally posted by HoustonHunter View Post
        Absolutely right! Most of the Houston Co does are bred before the end of Oct. that said, the third week in November falls a month after the primary and does that didnt take the first time come in. That means all the bucks after a few does. Flurry of activity is common.

Comment

This was Angelina National Forest south of Zavalla. 4 cameras with date and time. Last year was my first year after a 7or 8 layoff from deer hunting. I was tired of not seeing many deer and I was killing the redfish in Oct and Nov.

In years past hunting Woodville and Newton area the rut always seem to be the end of October and even some the end of Sept. However, there is something to those dates.

Years ago when trail cameras first came out a couple guys sorted through several years of pic and found a pattern. something like 80% of the daytime bucks were on 4 days of the month. These 'buck days' they called them were the 3rd day before and after a full moon and a new moon. Nov 22 and 23 were 3 days before the full moon.

I have records of 8 big bucks killed in Oklahoma (bow hunting heaven) in broad daylight and 7 were on the 3rd before a full moon and 1 was a one of the other buck days. Last year someone I know from Lumberton killed a big 7 pt well after daylight on the 22nd near Boykin Springs, also 3rd day before the full moon.

I will be camped on my stand the 11, 12, and 13 of Nov. Oct maybe, but that is middle of the week and I may be out of town.

Something to kick around.
          Last edited by RogerBTX; 08-28-2016, 05:58 PM.

Comment

Southeast Texas...After 10 yrs in the same area, one day has more daytime bucks on my cameras than any other. That day is Nov. 6th, though the last week of October has shown more buck activity per week than any other week. I think the most buck activity occurs prior to the peak of the rut, when most of the cruising and chasing is happening. Last year, I also saw a tremendous amount of activity during the last week of December.

Comment

Originally posted by Xrod View Post
              Southeast Texas...After 10 yrs in the same area, one day has more daytime bucks on my cameras than any other. That day is Nov. 6th, though the last week of October has shown more buck activity per week than any other week. I think the most buck activity occurs prior to the peak of the rut, when most of the cruising and chasing is happening. Last year, I also saw a tremendous amount of activity during the last week of December.
              I noticed your from Orange, so am I. Just curious about what area your hunting in?

Comment

Pretty consistent answers and I have found that the main rut is either side of Halloween. But a lot of big bucks are shot late November because bucks are traveling looking for fewer does that come in during the so called 2nd rut.

Comment

Originally posted by marshman View Post
                  I noticed your from Orange, so am I. Just curious about what area your hunting in?
                  Up near Toledo.

Comment

Originally posted by Xrod View Post
                    Up near Toledo.
                    I hunt between Buna and Mauriceville so I was just wondering.

Comment

SE Texas here and the last week of October is the hottest for me.

Comment

Neches and Angelina river bottoms, week before Halloween has always been the most buck activity.

Comment

north east texas for me and its always the last week of october that they are just one after another

Comment

Could have been near a full moon or just before or after a front moving through...

Comment

I live in Buna and do some hunting there, but most of the time I'm up around Pineland. Deer in Buna appear to show like that usually about a week earlier. Pineland for me is usually the last week of October, give or take.

Comment

Working...
                              X