Remington Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Remington Today

I bought a 5R in 308 in 2017 with great anticipation of it being a 1/4” gun. It was in the desert tan stock, fluted and thread. I was really looking for it to impress me.....long story short it was lame. Many factory loads and some hand loads and right at an inch was all it would do. Took it to a competent smith and he was unimpressed with the bolt face and ream within the chamber; poor detail in the machining was his comment.

I’ve bought Mauser M12, a Christensen, two Tikkas, two Vanguards, a Mark V and all shoot under and inch with two out of three factory loads.

Fact is Big Green has lost a step. Had A few newer 870s that were unimpressive too. It’s sad considering the amazing work present in my 1976 3200 and many of the 70s 1100s I cherish.

Buyouts and poor executive management have killed more than a few quality brands. Sad but it happens.

Comment

I bought a .223 16" heavy barrel with the hogue stock that will shoot well under half inch with several "match" factory loads.
      It has the cheap rough finish and the action isn't as smooth as the older ones with the jeweled bolt. But it is a shooter for sure.

I have had some issues with feeding. A lot of times it wants to let the bolt ride over the next round in the mag and not pick up but i haven't tweaked it much yet.

Comment

if i found a nice older BDL id probably buy one. if i was going for an ADL id go with a nice savage instead.

Comment

You take a chance with the Remingtons. Awesome designs, but the quality control is hit or miss. I know there is a HUGE difference in quality frome my old 870's to my new ones. I had a 700 ADL academy special in .270. It was very inconsistent. Every Once in awhile it would group good (sub MOA) but not consistently like my other rifles.

Comment

Love the Remmy 700 SPS models. Been great and very accurate.

Comment

Got several ADL, BDL and CDL, my go to is basic ADL in a .243. Accurate with cheap federals. I admit my x-bolt is a close 2nd! I have not purchased any new 700's in a while, but with mass production and lower costs to buyers, quality suffers.

Comment

I bought a Remington 700 SPS Varmint in .22-250 a few years ago and it shoots one ragged hole at 100 yards consistently.

Also bought a Remington 700 Long Range SS in .300 win mag about 3 months ago and it shoots lights out as well. Me and a buddy shot 4 javelina in 4 shots (two each) from 450 yards with it.

The only thing that appears to be junk in these guns is the triggers, both of mine got Timney's immediately. Other than that, reliable and accurate.

Comment

I’m looking at the Remington 700 AWR in .270

Comment

I wouldn't buy a new Remington personally, their QC is not as good as it used to be and there are other manufacturers that are kicking out a higher quality gun in regards to the fit and finish for the same price as the Remingtons.

Comment

What about their shotguns? I’ve only seen a few comments here about the shotguns. I have an older 11-87 that I love, but the new ones come with plastic trigger housings and cheap ugly wood. Same with the new 870s. My grandpas old wing master seems to be a way smoother gun. But I have limited experience with the new stuff. Just handled them at the gun store. I have been thinking about a new V3, and the online reviews are pretty good. Supposed to have one of the best factory triggers available. We all know the 700 isn’t what it once was, but has the shotgun lineup suffered the same fate?

Comment

Good shotguns start with the letter B and really good ones end with eretta.

Comment

Originally posted by Fmjag64 View Post
                          ^^^ Exactly! Although, I would add my Benelli Legacy 28 is a pretty sweet little semi-auto! But I am certainly partial of Beretta!

Comment

The V3 and Versamax have been solid performers.Any issues have been taken care of quickly by Remington. That's ALOT more than I can say about Beretta/Benelli.

Comment

Originally posted by DUKFVR View Post
                              The V3 and Versamax have been solid performers.Any issues have been taken care of quickly by Remington. That's ALOT more than I can say about Beretta/Benelli.
                              Didn’t know Beretta/Benelli had an issue?

Comment

Originally posted by Fmjag64 View Post
                                So I hear. But the A300 feels like cheap junk to me, and the A400 is front heavy. Even with an empty mag tube it just feels like it wants to tip forward. Both of these guns get great reviews though.

I just really wish there was a place that I could go shoot some skeet with all of the different shotguns out right now. You just cant get a good feel for them in a shop. And literally all the brands make something I like on paper.

Comment

Working...
                                X