6.5 Grendel Hunting Bullet Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I ordered a 6.5 Grendel from GrendelHunter.com about 3 months ago. I bought some Hornady Black 123 ELD-M ammo from academy because they were sold out of the sst ammo at the time(they still don't have any!), and I was dying to try the rifle out. So I zeroed it at 100 yards. It shot FANTASTIC with this ammo. 3 inch group at 600 yds. So I bought a bunch more of it. So I started doing some research online. I read on a private page(I forgot to screen shot it, and now I can't find it again) that the 123 ELD-M is the same exact bullet construction as the 123 SST including the interlocking ring it just has the heat shield tip. The guy said that this is the only ELD-M like this. He said that Hornady couldn't get the bullets to stabilize so they just changed the tip on the sst. Has anyone here heard anything like this? Has anyone shot anything with this bullet?

No.... interesting i have same upper (18") and both loads eld-m and sst in 123 gr.

What are the specs on your upper?

Plenty of it online

I like dealing with Outdoorlimited.com
    Last edited by KC Huntin; 07-09-2017, 08:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by txhoghunter73 View Post
      So I started doing some research online. I read on a private page (I forgot to screen shot it, and now I can't find it again) that the 123 ELD-M is the same exact bullet construction as the 123 SST including the interlocking ring it just has the heat shield tip. The guy said that this is the only ELD-M like this. He said that Hornady couldn't get the bullets to stabilize so they just changed the tip on the sst. Has anyone here heard anything like this? Has anyone shot anything with this bullet?
      Why not call Hornady and ask to speak with their head ballistician ? I've called dozens of times and have always recv'd answers to many of my questions.

Lonnie Hummel was my "go to" contact ; however he retired several yrs ago. I'm sure someone will be able to help you with bullet construction and load data

Comment

I don't think the sst has the "heat shield tip" I did read that Hornady was testing and couldn't figure out why there data was showing some strange results. They determined that the tip was melting.

Comment

I just bought the same hornady, going to try it out on some hogs hopefully in the next couple weeks.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Comment

Originally posted by rferg84 View Post
            I just bought the same hornady, going to try it out on some hogs hopefully in the next couple weeks.

I'll let you know how it goes.
            Please do

Comment

That Hornady black will be just fine for killing. I love my 6.5G.

Comment

Just got my first 6.5 on Sunday. Can't wait to shoot it.
                Attached Files

Comment

LOVE the Grendel...one of our best shooters in the AR platform!!

Comment

Go to www.65grendel.com
                    There's a guy there that has tested the H black ammo on hogs. Some good, some not so good. The ELD-M bullet doesn't have the interlock ring like the SST. It was/is basically an Amax bullet with a different tip. A LOT of people had good luck killing game with the Amax bullet, so, the H black with the ELD-M bullet will probably work, but shot placement, as always, is key.

Comment

After all the bullets I have tried I have settled on the 120 NBT.

As luck would have it.......it flies right with the 120gr SMK.......same exact load.......same exact POI......same accuracy.

Comment

Originally posted by tpepper70 View Post
                        Go to www.65grendel.com
                        There's a guy there that has tested the H black ammo on hogs. Some good, some not so good. The ELD-M bullet doesn't have the interlock ring like the SST. It was/is basically an Amax bullet with a different tip. A LOT of people had good luck killing game with the Amax bullet, so, the H black with the ELD-M bullet will probably work, but shot placement, as always, is key.

And that is why people should leave the match bullets for paper and steel. They may work on game some of the time, maybe even most of the time. But I'm not willing to risk it when there are proven reliable hunting bullets available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I had also read/researched and believed the ELD-M was a replacment for the AMAX

I shoot some ELD-X in my .308. I believe this has the ring and woudl be closet to the SST although the ELD-X would have the heat shield tip.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                            And that is why people should leave the match bullets for paper and steel. They may work on game some of the time, maybe even most of the time. But I'm not willing to risk it when there are proven reliable hunting bullets available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                            Agreed.

Comment

OP have you tried the Federal Fusion MSR

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X