TBH BLOOD DOG TRACKING, TRAINING, & RECOVERY Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jared_bays View Post

Here's Mickey, our 12 week old Crack Russell Terrier. I've only had him on about 1/2 dozen mock trails so far. I bought 3 pints of pork blood at an Asian Msrket in China Town. So far I have been pretty generous with the blood on the tracks but now I have a chunk of hide that I bought from Dog Bone that I'm going to start using with a lot less blood. I also bought their blood tracking scent, they claim its made from deer blood??
    Man that dog has a slick coat jb.

He looks in top shape.

Congrats on a great looking JRT!

Comment

I started mine on just the hide at first but its too easy for him! I can drag that thing 500 yards and he never breaks stride finding it! Liver blended with water in a squirt bottle hasn't been much of a challenge either, spreading the drops out, 3 90 degree turns per mock trail, and even started doing blind tracks where my girlfriend lays the track while Bullet and I wait in the truck. He goes insane the second I say "Lets go hunt!" And hes 14 for 14 on mock trails so far. What should I do next? How do I know when he's ready to track a real animal?

Comment

TBH BLOOD DOG TRACKING, TRAINING, & RECOVERY Thread

Originally posted by jared_bays View Post
        Here's Mickey, our 12 week old Crack Russell Terrier. I've only had him on about 1/2 dozen mock trails so far. I bought 3 pints of pork blood at an Asian Msrket in China Town. So far I have been pretty generous with the blood on the tracks but now I have a chunk of hide that I bought from Dog Bone that I'm going to start using with a lot less blood. I also bought their blood tracking scent, they claim its made from deer blood??

Jared its cool that our JRTs are both 11-12 weeks right now! It will be cool to see how they both grow. Whered you get him from?

Comment

Out of curiosity...what are your thoughts about training an older dog (say 4 years old). Also, what books or training methods could you point me to if I wanted to start trying to train?

Comment

Originally posted by AggieArcher View Post
            I started mine on just the hide at first but its too easy for him! I can drag that thing 500 yards and he never breaks stride finding it! Liver blended with water in a squirt bottle hasn't been much of a challenge either, spreading the drops out, 3 90 degree turns per mock trail, and even started doing blind tracks where my girlfriend lays the track while Bullet and I wait in the truck. He goes insane the second I say "Lets go hunt!" And hes 14 for 14 on mock trails so far. What should I do next? How do I know when he's ready to track a real animal?
            When he was younger I kept doing mock trails all the way up to deer season. After that I put him on lots of easy trails. Anyone on our lease that shot a deer would wait and let me put him on the track even if they saw the deer fall. Those short easy tracks sure seemed to help.

Comment

Just bought a lighted collar for mine for night tracking! The book I read that taught me about training my pup said to have a designated collar for tracking so he knows when to go into hunt mode, so I found a really nice one online. I'll let y'all know how it works
              Tyler, I also associate a few words when going on a track.

I had a relative that was a top notch beagle man, and ran swamp rabbits down in SW Louisiana.

He would let those beagles loose and would always say “Let’s get a rabbit!”

He would repeat that phrase as the dogs worked the track as well. It is like he was spurring them on. And there was no doubt they were responding to his encouragement.

He was the best dog man I ever met, and his dogs were as good as they get.

Anyway…when I turn gumbo out I say “Let’s find a deer!” and repeat that as he is working the trail.

When he gets hung up for a few seconds on a hard turn, and then picks the trail back up I let him know he is doing well.

All of us respond well to positive encouragement. Our dogs are no different

Comment

Originally posted by EEBowHunter View Post

Out of curiosity...what are your thoughts about training an older dog (say 4 years old). Also, what books or training methods could you point me to if I wanted to start trying to train?

You might try the same thing I have been doing with my pup. Make a mock trail, and put their food at the end as the reward. It is a great motivator. Make them find their food instead of pouring it in a bowl right in front of them. Set a time, and don't feed your dog past that time in the evening. Then run a trail early the next morning for your dog, and put his food in a small container that he won’t spot at the end of the trail. The dog will quickly figure out that if he wants to eat, he has to follow the trail.

A hungry dog is a motivated dog.....

There is a book; I don't know the name off hand, but I will find out & post it up shortly.

Comment

Originally posted by TUCO View Post
                  You might try the same thing I have been doing with my pup. Make a mock trail, and put their food at the end as the reward. It is a great motivator. Make them find their food instead of pouring it in a bowl right in front of them. Set a time, and don't feed your dog past that time in the evening. Then run a trail early the next morning for your dog, and put his food in a small container that he won’t spot at the end of the trail. The dog will quickly figure out that if he wants to eat, he has to follow the trail.

A hungry dog is a motivated dog.....

There is a book; I don't know the name off hand, but I will find out & post it up shortly.

The book I got Is by john jeaneney .
                  Training dogs for tracking wounded deer or something like that

Comment

Originally posted by EEBowHunter View Post

Also, what books or training methods could you point me to if I wanted to start trying to train?

Originally posted by Ballcoach10 View Post

The book I got Is by john jeaneney .

Training dogs for tracking wounded deer or something like that
                    That’s it!
                    Attached Files

Comment

That’s it!

This book is the real deal. I followed this book word for word just about when training kimber . Really does a good job of explaining what to do at what stages the dog is in

Comment

Sarge. Pic would not load. Guess he's too pretty !
                        Attached Files

Comment

Man that dog has a slick coat jb.

He looks in top shape.

Congrats on a great looking JRT!
                          Thanks a bunch. He's definitely HI-OCTANE.

Jared its cool that our JRTs are both 11-12 weeks right now! It will be cool to see how they both grow. Whered you get him from?
                          I got him from fowlwaters here on the GS. I think he is from the Liberty/Dayton area. I really dig Mickey's short stubby legs and bulky frame. Truthfully, I haven't taught him anything, its all instinct. I think he's gonna turn out pretty good. Or at least do what I want anyway.

Comment

Tuned in!!!

Comment

tuned in maybe i can help with the basics.

Comment

Honcho is always ready to hunt
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X