Has anyone powder coated a bow riser?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has anyone powder coated a bow riser?

Lots of posts on here about powder coating tumblers and guns and truck parts and stuff... thinking about getting my Elite XLR refinished and looking for a place near DFW. Anyone had good luck with a powder coated bow? Any recommendations for shops in the DFW area?

I deal with it all the time Maybe you could do the riser . But PC is thick even with a light coat, some areas that are tight tolerance its not going to work very well . Most are anodized to start with but you could also look into cerakote or a product like it .

I used to PC as well the temp it has to be cooked at may be an effect on certain parts . as well it has to be blasted or chemical stripped as well ..

Just my thoughts on it Myself would not do it I would fear the riser would warp .. temp for most PC is 450- 500 ish .

Comment

Hydrographics

I have seen many of them dipped!

Comment

I have seen a lot of risers powder coated on Archerytalk.

A lot of people like Kolorfusion but hear the wait is very long.

Spray paint sucks, it will scratch very easily. So if you choose paint use quality paint and have it sprayed.

Comment

I would suggest ceracoat or duracoat. I believe you would be much happier that way.

Comment

I would add that if the PC is done correctly on riser and maybe they use a UV lamp to cure vs an oven . If the riser where mounted so it could not twist or warp that would be the way to go as well . I see parts all the time that are ruined by PC .

Comment

Wonder if it is possible to find a place that has experience with archery equipment near by. I contacted a place near my home in Mansfield and was told I would have to strip it myself and they would PC it for $250. Seems a little steep when 19” wheels go for $120 - $150 at most places. I figure he just doesn’t want to do it so he’s jacking up the price.

I’ll look into cerakote. I was thinking about having the limb pockets done in cerakote anyway...

Comment

Why not get it dipped? Is it not as durable?

Comment

Originally posted by potlicker87 View Post
                  Why not get it dipped? Is it not as durable?

Well, I wouldn’t think it would be as durable. I’m not opposed to dipping except that in my mind I’m imagining a more painstaking stripping process...

For my bow I’m looking for something very glossy and eye catching. This is going to primarily be for 3D and target shooting, so I’m not looking for Camo. I’d like a prismatic effect or something like that. Maybe a kandy style finish. I guess I didn’t think I could get that in a hydro dipped finish. I’m also looking for something more durable than paint.

Comment

Will void all factory warranties.

Comment

Hydro dipping

Originally posted by jvswan View Post
                      Well, I wouldn’t think it would be as durable. I’m not opposed to dipping except that in my mind I’m imagining a more painstaking stripping process...

For my bow I’m looking for something very glossy and eye catching. This is going to primarily be for 3D and target shooting, so I’m not looking for Camo. I’d like a prismatic effect or something like that. Maybe a kandy style finish. I guess I didn’t think I could get that in a hydro dipped finish. I’m also looking for something more durable than paint.
                      Sounds to me Hydrographics is exactly what you are looking for. We use an automotive high gloss 2K clear coat. These type clears have UV protection and a flex additive. It's going to be as durable as the finish on your vehicle. Plus there are numerous flashy type patterns to choose from.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishndude View Post
                        Will void all factory warranties.

Well, I bought the bow used and it had a custom paint job on it. I checked with Elite and was told the warranty is void because of the paint.

Comment

Originally posted by buckfan50 View Post
                          Sounds to me Hydrographics is exactly what you are looking for. We use an automotive high gloss 2K clear coat. These type clears have UV protection and a flex additive. It's going to be as durable as the finish on your vehicle. Plus there are numerous flashy type patterns to choose from.

I’ll shoot you a PM for more info. Thanks!

Comment

I had my riser powder coated by a guy in Leander, turned out awesome. I painted the limbs myself flat black and they turned out awesome! The riser is a gun metal grey color.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                            X