Intro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Intro

Good morning and glad to be here. I'm a 42 year old native Texan from Houston. I enjoyed hunting water fowl for a couple seasons about 10 years ago, but other than that and 2 one off deer hunts I have not hunted.

For the past two years now my daughter (middle of 3 girls) has expressed interest in hunting so time for a dad to get off his butt. Don't get me wrong, you don't have to twist my arm to get out, just never focused on hunting before.

My family is from Palestine, in Anderson County, where we have a small plot of land (11 acres) out off Rusk Highway. I would like to find a lease to get involved in around that area seeing as we spend a good amount of time there.

I know the deer season is ending and figured now would be a good time to reach out. I want to put in the work on a lease and learn the herd as well as help make sure it stays healthy and thrives. I am not looking for a trophy, but rather the experience, meat, and enjoyment of the outdoors. I am a Marine veteran and am safety minded and respectful.

If anyone knows of an opportunity and would be willing to take on a new person please let me know. Thank you.

Welcome bud. I hunt in Maydelle, so I guess that makes us neighbors. My father and I own about 120 acres and I lease another 50. Got a little boy and another in the oven, so I didn't get to hunt much this year, but hope that will change next year.

Comment

Welcome

Comment

Welcome sir, there are a ton of great folks here and a ton of knowledge.

Comment

Welcome to TBH. This a great group of folks and I'm sure you'll become a longtime contributor.
          Cheers

Comment

Welcome to the fire bud
            Good on ya for wantin to get the kiddos out in the deer woods
            Good luck findin a lease

SEMPER FIDELIS
            USMC 1/9
            1987-1991

Comment

Welcome

Comment

Welcome to the fire, great place for gaining the wisdom of seasoned hunters.

Click image for larger version

Name:	campfiredeer.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	24423659

Comment

Welcome to the fire.

Comment

Welcome to your new addiction! So...are you gonna bow hunt? Do you have deer on your 11 acres? What a great way to spend time with your kids. Keep us updated as to your progress. And dont overlook public land hunting or possibly a day lease if you dont find a season lease.

Comment

Originally posted by niceg3s View Post
                      Welcome bud. I hunt in Maydelle, so I guess that makes us neighbors. My father and I own about 120 acres and I lease another 50. Got a little boy and another in the oven, so I didn't get to hunt much this year, but hope that will change next year.
                      Thank you. We are a stones throw from the State Railroad just outside of Palestine so I would say we are neighbors for sure.

Originally posted by Thwackdaddy View Post
                      Welcome to the fire bud
                      Good on ya for wantin to get the kiddos out in the deer woods
                      Good luck findin a lease

SEMPER FIDELIS
                      USMC 1/9
                      1987-1991
                      Semper Fidelis. Left for boot 3 days after Christmas in '92. 0352 with 4th Marines HQ Platoon in Okinawa '93-'94 and 2nd Tank Battalion Scout Platoon in Lejuene from '94 to '96.

Originally posted by quarterback View Post
                      Welcome to your new addiction! So...are you gonna bow hunt? Do you have deer on your 11 acres? What a great way to spend time with your kids. Keep us updated as to your progress. And dont overlook public land hunting or possibly a day lease if you dont find a season lease.
                      TBH, I'm not sure. One of the two deer hunts I went on was a bow hunt in Tennessee and it was amazing. Didn't even see one deer, but I loved it. I bought a used PSE Fireflight (I think, it's been a long time) from my buddy for around $50 and we spent 3 months on the archery range sighting them in and getting it adjusted for me. I am very comfortable shooting a rifle, so that would be fine too, there is just something about bow hunting that appeals to me.

I am not able to hunt the 11 acres, it's developed with a house and cottage on it and a couple acre pond. We are surrounded by cow pastures. How do you find out more about public land hunts?

Comment

That's for the Texas State Public lands. I'd recommend signing up for the drawings every year. I blow $150-$200 signing up for the various hunts. Never won, but your chances increase each year as you earn preference points.

If you want a place to hunt, I'd check campbell timber's site. www.cglease.com They have a lot of land near you. You may be able to get on a lease or a club.

Comment

Welcome. I joined my lease with my two daughters after responding to a post of an opening on here.

Keep an eye out...it will come.

Comment

Welcome to the green screen.

Comment

Originally posted by niceg3s View Post
                              https://tpwd.texas.gov/huntwild/hunt/public/

That's for the Texas State Public lands. I'd recommend signing up for the drawings every year. I blow $150-$200 signing up for the various hunts. Never won, but your chances increase each year as you earn preference points.

If you want a place to hunt, I'd check campbell timber's site. www.cglease.com They have a lot of land near you. You may be able to get on a lease or a club.
                              Thank you for the info.

Originally posted by Coacheddy View Post
                              Welcome. I joined my lease with my two daughters after responding to a post of an opening on here.

Keep an eye out...it will come.
                              Love that my girls are asking for it.

Comment

Working...
                              X