Doc’s got a second date! Brown Bear Round #2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BETTERLUCKYTHANGOOD View Post
    Question for you Doc, what's with throwing the lingcod back? We used to keep them when we caught them, do they have a season or slot limit now?

They are a great eating fish!!!
    When I went two years ago, they did have a slot limit on ling cod. We were very fortunate to go 4-4 on ling cod in the slot. Best eating white fish I’ve ever had.

The Alaskan lobster from the halibut was pretty good too!

Comment

Whoa! I been away from the GS for two weeks and I miss pure epicness!!! With that many bears it is only a matter of time Greg. After last years mountain goat in Alyeska, a BIG BROWNIE is on the short list.

Comment

Dream place to go hunt. Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by BETTERLUCKYTHANGOOD View Post
          Question for you Doc, what's with throwing the lingcod back? We used to keep them when we caught them, do they have a season or slot limit now?

They are a great eating fish!!!
          Season is closed right now. I think it opens July 1.

Comment

Originally posted by docmay View Post
            Season is closed right now. I think it opens July 1.
            Any other news you care to share amigo?

Comment

Here is today’s late afternoon update. It’s windy and cold out there! We saw 9 bears. Got to 30-35 yards on one that was right at 8 1/2 foot but he had terrible hair. I passed just because you could not even mount him. Found another golf bear. This one had the best hair I have seen of any so far. He was pushing 9 feet. Jordan dropped Brian and I off about two beaches over on some rocks and about 1/2 mile away. We cut through the woods for the first 300-400 yards then hit the beach. We could stay behind rocks and got to 150 yards. There we ran out of cover. It was open beach and a beautiful bear. Too far for a bow shot, no way to close the distance. I let the best bear we have seen walk off the beach with a rifle next to me. I decided then that tomorrow I will not do the same. I have been within easy bow range of 2 bears and under 100 yards from several. It’s time to make something happen.

Comment

The two rifle hunters have both killed bears. One killed an absolute monster that should make B&C!

Another hunter arrived today. He will start hunting the unit where the other guys just finished in the am.

Comment

Hang in there with the bow doc!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Did find time for a little fishing and caught my personal best lingcod today.

And my biggest yelloweye!!!!!

Comment

Sweet!!!! Good luck on getting in close on a pretty bear tomorrow!!

Comment

Good luck again Doc!

Comment

Hopefully an arrow will fly soon!

Comment

bow or gun either way its one more toward the grand slam

Comment

Originally posted by Bowtech38 View Post
                              bow or gun either way its one more toward the grand slam
                              I agree. I dearly love to bowhunt and I love getting close to dangerous game. I want a brown bear and already have an unsuccessful hunt under my belt. I have passed a couple easy bowshots on small bears if it was only about the species and only about a bowkill. I had a very old sow at 47 yards the other night. I couldn’t kill her! Just not the trophy I wanted. If I end up within a couple hundred yards of another good bear and I can’t get closer I may have to see if my trigger finger still works.

Comment

Outstanding thread, thoroughly enjoying the updates and excellent pictures!!!!

Good luck on the rest of the hunt!

Comment

Working...
                                X