No announcement yet.

AR Build Concerns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was a little like that when I built my grendel. I was going to get some gauges but just went ahead and shot it. You should be good, when I was doing research I read that the biggest concern was parts from nonreputable companies.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon B View Post
      I am by no means a gunsmith nor am I going to pay out if it blows up on you but you can't really alter the head space on an AR-15 without a chamber reamer or putting some kind of washer between the barrel and upper receiver. That [Excessive Headspace] would be my only concern. If the chamber is too tight it will not go into battery. I think you are good.

Heck with all the parts kit guns that have been thrown together in the last few years a lot of kitchen table gunsmiths would be missing fingers and eyes if it was easy to mess it up. Google blown up AR-15 if you want to scare your self.

No doubt. If places like PSA, runner runner guns, radical firearms and other budget places can throw together a rifle and it not blow your face off, you will be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Jon B View Post
        I am by no means a gunsmith nor am I going to pay out if it blows up on you but you can't really alter the head space on an AR-15 without a chamber reamer or putting some kind of washer between the barrel and upper receiver. That [Excessive Headspace] would be my only concern. If the chamber is too tight it will not go into battery. I think you are good.

Heck with all the parts kit guns that have been thrown together in the last few years a lot of kitchen table gunsmiths would be missing fingers and eyes if it was easy to mess it up. Google blown up AR-15 if you want to scare your self.
        The head spacing on a AR 15 or AR 10, is preset when the barrel company installs the barrel extension on the barrel. There is a possibility of a head spacing variation because of a bolt that is not machined to spec.
        This is the reason, that so many people build AR 15s and AR 10s, because of the design of the barrels, head spacing is mostly factored out.
        So most anyone can put a AR together.

Comment

Originally posted by walker View Post
          just send it to me to test. If it blows up i'll just keep it and won't sue you.
          ha! Ha! Ha! Ha!

Comment

Originally posted by TXBowhunter11 View Post
            Anyone ever a little worried to shoot an ar after a build? I converted my 556 ar to a 6.5 Grendel. Just a wee bit hesitant... whats the worst that can happen?
            Don't worry about it, just take it out and shoot. The most likely problem is over gassing, causing the empty cases to not be ejected correctly. Even then, many people don't know if their gun is over gassing or under gassing, unless it is undergassed to the point it does not fully eject the cases.

Comment

A buddy of mine had a .22 marlin that he had shoved in between his porch and trailer roof that was rusted and clogged with mud so back I didn’t ever think it would work. Took it home and broke a cleaning rod and several brushes getting the barrel unclogged. Also used a can of WD to get the trigger working again and the safety and when it came time to fire it I put on some welding gloves and held it around the side of my parents brick house to pull the trigger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Nah. Plug and play system. Swap and strip parts. That's how they were designed.

Gary

Comment

Lego sets for grown men. I was scared to death the first one I built. Now, I just shoot them with factory ammo for function test and then let them eat.

Comment

Nope.

Only thing I worry about is a gas block being misaligned and me having to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by sendit View Post
                      The second deer shot was 7.9 meters or 312.9 inches further. What was the difference in bullet drop between the second and first shot?

11 year old boy 1st shot 4 inches right and low
                      Gut shot but Hornady SST did there job. 40 yard track.

36 year old dad 2nd shot honey hole
                      Took out both lungs, buck dropped in it's tracks

At the range 2 days prior:
                      63.5mm diameter circle at 50 meters
                      Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                      X