No announcement yet.

Anyone on a Ketogenic Diet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lost about 40 pounds so far, another 40 to go doing the Keto, atkins, low carb high fat, whatever you want to call it eating lifestyle. Started early last summer after a river trip and I couldn't climb back on the raft.

Had an excellent chicken alfredo last night in fact.

Comment

Originally posted by Strummer View Post
      What is mtc oil?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MCT is medium chain triglycerides

It is an extract made from palm or coconut oil

This is an easily understandable explanation https://wellnessmama.com/98671/mct-oil-benefits/

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices, have very few virtues" - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

This diet will make your breath horrible!

Comment

Great way to lose weight but its not something I would want to be doing forever. Its not a good way to get the best performance out of your body. Longterm its better to use intermittent fasting to go ketogenic from time to time but still using glycogen for a fuel source at the gym etc. Your body can be trained to go from one metabolic pathway to another. You will without a doubt perform and feel better at the gym when using glycogen. You will also perform better in endurance activities if your body is good at going ketogenic and using fat. There are easy ways to test yourself to tell if you can efficiently use fat.

Everyone tends to get on a fad and go waaaay to far to one side. Use a ketogenic diet to lose weight but dont be afraid to balance out your diet once the weight is off.

Comment

Originally posted by IowaHunter View Post
            I believe the BMI stuff is BS as a rule. Our company does that as part of our fitness review annually. I'm fit and exercise daily with a BMI of 26 while the guy with a pear shape next to me has a BMI of 17. If I get to the weight chart I'd look like a holocaust victim.
            Yep, it is a flawed marker.

And I forgot to reply to your PM (was on vacation.) I am out of canned Javi. I do have canned Axis though.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by aggieman08 View Post
              This diet will make your breath horrible!
              Gotta be the #1 reason couples do it together

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
                A good way to get diabetes from what I hear too.

I have lost 27 lbs in 11 weeks on my diet of steak, potatoes, cereal, bread, fruit, etc.

It is called eating less, moderate exercise, and... nope thats it.

Wrong. I'm a T2 diabetic. I'm on a Keto diet. My glucose numbers are better than ever, my cholesterol is great and I'm not on any medications. This is all a result of going keto. My dr. had me on Kombiglyze and wanted me to start taking lipitor. I'm down around 20# with a few more to go. Keto doesn't cause diabetes, it's a treatment for it, T2 at least. It is also a lifestyle change, not a fad diet.

Comment

Originally posted by chongo View Post
                  Wrong. I'm a T2 diabetic. I'm on a Keto diet. My glucose numbers are better than ever, my cholesterol is great and I'm not on any medications. This is all a result of going keto. My dr. had me on Kombiglyze and wanted me to start taking lipitor. I'm down around 20# with a few more to go. Keto doesn't cause diabetes, it's a treatment for it, T2 at least. It is also a lifestyle change, not a fad diet.

Any low carb diet will help manage type 2 diabetes. Honestly, there are better way to diet than this.
                  Last edited by panhandlehunter; 03-21-2017, 08:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
                    Any low carb diet will help manage type 2 diabetes. Honestly, there are better way to diet than this.
                    For your body, maybe. Honestly, for my body, this is the best change in my diet I've ever made. There are plenty who have used a keto/LCHF diet successfully for years, athletes too. It works for me and a number of other diabetics/athletes I know. I sleep better, wake up more refreshed, have better workouts, no mid-day crash and am in a better mood with exemplary blood work.

Comment

Originally posted by chongo View Post
                      For your body, maybe. Honestly, for my body, this is the best change in my diet I've ever made. There are plenty who have used a keto/LCHF diet successfully for years, athletes too. It works for me and a number of other diabetics/athletes I know. I sleep better, wake up more refreshed, have better workouts, no mid-day crash and am in a better mood with exemplary blood work.

Me as well. Also my blood pressure went from 140's/95+ to 116ish/85 in a matter of a month

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Im bulking now, but cut using Keto....

I found that sipping pickle juice throughout the day prevents the headache during the first couple weeks. Sodium will be high, but it will get you through the rough spot of feeling like death as your body adjusts to the diet....

Comment

Originally posted by MisterSanders View Post
                          I did this diet back in May of last year, and stopped in August. I went from 207 to 165, and went from around 20% bf to around 13%. I was never tired, didn't have the after lunch lull, never had a problem getting up @ 0300 for work. Sounds too good to be true right? Be careful with this diet. Turns out this diet can leave you malnutritioned, and lacking important minerals for your body to function. In June I noticed I started having heart palpitations, and decided to go see a cardiologist just to make sure nothing was wrong. I only had them when I was sitting still, when working out or working in the yard, they didn't exist. Turns out, they were heart arrhythmias, non-sustained tachycardia. They can be caused by insufficient electrolytes in your diet, very common on this diet. Also, this diet increases adrenaline in your blood stream, which leads to irregular heart beats and heart arrhythmias. Make sure you take a supplement, and pay close attention to what your body is telling you. Since, I've had a defibrillator implanted, and have talked with other people with defibrillators. Several people went into sudden cardiac arrest on this diet, and put them close to death. Do your research. I agree with panhandlehunter, this is not something you want to stay on forever. This is great to lose body fat, but I think your best option is to ease into a paleo diet. It's more sustainable, and you aren't holding out any important nutrition from your body. Good luck on your weight loss!

Did you take any supplements? I use Potassium and Magnesium daily to help avoid what you described.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Gold View Post
                            Im bulking now, but cut using Keto....

I found that sipping pickle juice throughout the day prevents the headache during the first couple weeks. Sodium will be high, but it will get you through the rough spot of feeling like death as your body adjusts to the diet....

Chicken broth is good for this as well. I do enjoy a pickle juice snowcone.

Comment

For those interested in Keto/low carb or is diabetic - check out dietdoctor.com. Lots of good info from medical professionals and folks who've been doing it long term. Plus there are recipes and meal plans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

What is the keto flu?
                                headaches? (like after a night of drinking alcohol with little to no water/electrolyte replenishment)
                                gastrointestinal?

Comment

Working...
                                X