Dairy Farmers, tell me.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Leemo View Post
    I see you're in Quitman, my cousin and uncles have dairies in Quitman? Miniola?
    Not sure, Robert Langhoff and Roy Langhoff
    Don't know Robert personally but Roy sold out years ago. Runs chicken houses now I believe. "Pine mills" ( between Quitman and mineola)

Comment

Price last check...... $14.24 cwt :O

Comment

I grew up working on my mother's siblings dairy farms. Nothing near that size. I left home after high school knowing in would do most anything in life to earn a living besides painting and getting slapped in the face with a silage covered tail on a dairy farm.

It's honest, hard work that doesn't pay much or allow much time to enjoy life.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
          Price last check...... $14.24 cwt :O
          I think you should quitman.

Comment

I got out about 6 years ago. Best thing I could have ever done. I still have 2 brothers dairying and my dad just sold out last year. Wouldn’t recommend getting in the dairy business. Too many variables that are out of your control to make a consistent profit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

You should see all the closed dairies in my area. Really sad to observe such a decline over the years. I run large herds of beef cattle and there is NO way I would consider a dairy business.

Comment

Originally posted by Leemo View Post
                I see you're in Quitman, my cousin and uncles have dairies in Quitman? Miniola?

Not sure, Robert Langhoff and Roy Langhoff

Lol, just for the record your Cousin and Uncle are my inlaws....small world. I’m married to Sheri[emoji41]

Roy and Robert are out of the Dairy business. Robert is now a professional chicken farmer/golf hustler and Roy is still running his cow/calf operation.

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
                  I know very little about it but I would learn as much as I could from the ground up, especially the business side, and then hire the best dairy foreman I could when the time comes to manage the daily livestock operations
                  x2

Comment

It will be a 24hr a day and 7 days a week job, twice a day, so be prepared!!!!!!!!

God Bless
                    Bish

Comment

Originally posted by double bogey View Post
                      My cousin got away from beef and went to dairy in the mid 70's. Made tons of money then. Got out in the late 90's. Milk sold for the same amount as when he started. Of course everything else cost way more. He was limited to about 500 cows also. He said he needed to be bigger, didn't have the land for it. Now, this is second hand info. Him, and any other family members are gone since the early 2000's, and I am going off memory. But I know they worked 14 hr. days, 7days a week, 365.
                      My uncle grew up on his dad's dairy. I don't know how old my uncle was when he got it, but the milk selling for same as when he started is the reason he sold. That and the 14 hour 365 no vacations.

Comment

Originally posted by Outdoor Legacy View Post
                        I'm not a dairy farmer, but I know a few and if there is one thing I know about them, they are married to their farms. Unless they make enough money to hire a REALLY good foreman, they miss more family events, hunting trips, vacations, weekends away, etc than anyone I know. Twice a day every day and it never stops. Your life will never be the same. Some people don't mind that fact and others can't last a month.

The opportunity to take over a family farm can be a giant blessing but unless you love it and it's in your blood, it might not be for you. In this day and age, there are a whole lot easier ways to make a living than farming. But if you love it and understand the sacrifices, it can be an enjoyable lifestyle. My 2 cents.
                        From what I have seen it's a real BI*CH. More work than poultry farming if that is even possible.

Comment

Minimum security prison!

Comment

Had friends that had dairy farm in Ohio. They had theee sons, two had to stay to help run farm. It was a 12 hour day no holidays. Felt sorry for them

Comment

You are gonna work your tail off. Regardless of anything weather, funerals, weddings. The cows have to be milked.
                              Tough life to get in at 37

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X