Shed Hunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shed Hunting

This will be my first season I officially plan to shed hunt. Oppose to previous years out on the ranch and out on a whim deciding to look around for some sheds. But now I live in Lubbock, Tx so things have changed some.

So when does everyone start shed hunting in their areas? Any one around Lubbock planning on doing the same?

In Mexico not until the 1st of April...about 75 percent have shed by then.

Comment

Originally posted by Mexico View Post
      In Mexico not until the 1st of April...about 75 percent have shed by then.
      New Mexico, late March for elk and late April for mulies. All depends on when the rut hit and how bad the winter is.

Comment

i'm in Lubbock, and i have already seen two bucks that have shed. i usually look while quail hunting, and then again during spring turkey

Comment

I typically just find them on the normal game trails leading from the food source. Start there

Comment

Originally posted by bowtecmike View Post
            i'm in Lubbock, and i have already seen two bucks that have shed. i usually look while quail hunting, and then again during spring turkey
            Do you do any public land hunting or is it all private?
            I don't know how it works but I plan on calling Lake Allen Henry and try to shed hunt out there. I'm also planning on submitting for spring turkey for the first time at LAH; so I'll see how that works out.

Comment

We found 3 sheds 2 weeks ago from some younger deer. East Texas.

Comment

Around Callahan County (Abilene area), some of the smaller bucks have dropped but I don't see the bigger bucks drop until the end of February. I normally will go look around then and when I can from now until Turkey Season. Once the snakes come out I quit walking around in the brush as much lol...

Comment

Shed hunt tip: Don't do it too early. Everyone is excited to look shortly after deer season for their fix. You'll find fewer and be less apt to walk through that same area a month or so later when you'd likely find more. Wait for them all to drop, go just before or when spring green up is just starting and very short. You'll have more success that way.

Comment

Alan Henry is the only public land around, you could also try Buffalo Lake as there are deer out there too.
                    if you get permission for AH and want someone to go with, PM me.
                    I find quite a few on the land the archery club leases for the 3-d shoots

Comment

Has anyone done any elk shed hunting say...NM? Or Colorado? Might make a fun trip. Would love to find one of those. Do they drop the same time roughly as our whitetail?

Comment

By the time I find them in east Tx the rodents have pretty much destroyed them.

Comment

i imagine the rodents will take a heavy toll on them at my places this year also.
                          i have seen more rats at feeders than you would think possible.

Comment

I usually go during Spring Break with my boys. This year that will be the third week of March. I am checking trail cams weekly prior to that to see what has dropped.

Comment

Originally posted by tbgascorer View Post
                              Shed hunt tip: Don't do it too early. Everyone is excited to look shortly after deer season for their fix. You'll find fewer and be less apt to walk through that same area a month or so later when you'd likely find more. Wait for them all to drop, go just before or when spring green up is just starting and very short. You'll have more success that way.
                              This,
                              and

Comment

Working...
                              X